Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sight alignment with a dot?

3 posters

Go down

Sight alignment with a dot? Empty Sight alignment with a dot?

Post by kwixdraw Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:05 pm

I read the post about Keith Sanderson and his methods for dry fire training. Do the techniques for sight alignment apply to red dot sights? I know there will be differences of opinion on this already because I have read articles by Brian Zins where he says holding drills are pointless and teach bad habits for getting the shot off when you see a ten. I understand that parallax is a small factor in group size if you are not holding the same sight picture with the dot in the same area of the field of view but it shouldn't take the shot out of the black should it?
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Sight alignment with a dot? Empty Re: Sight alignment with a dot?

Post by mspingeld Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:05 pm

I personally think it's important to keep the dot in the middle of the tube. Not because of parallax but to learn to be consistent. It's easy, with a dot, to have the dot off-center and compensate by moving the arm or wrist. It may be a 10 but, to me, it's bad form.

I highly recommend Ed Hall's articles at http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/12PPC01.html

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:25 pm

(Thanks for the mention, Mike)

I believe if you address the full reasoning of Brian Zins, you will not find too large a discrepancy with Keith Sanderson.  Brian says to not practice holding against a target without operating the trigger, because it will teach you to hold on the target without firing.  If you notice, the holding portion of Keith's routine occurs after the hammer has fallen.

Parallax aside, I believe a shooter should use the dot to tube relationship as a "trigger purity indicator" until the trigger operation is perfected.  In this manner, the dot to tube can be used similarly to the front to rear.  The sights will tell you what is happening at the gun, but only if you use them that way.  However, once the trigger is perfected, you can move to the relationship of the dot to the target with good effect.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Ed Hall wrote:(Thanks for the mention, Mike)
...  However, once the trigger is perfected, you can move to the relationship of the dot to the target with good effect.

My pleasure Ed. I re-read your series often. Regarding the quote; but once one perfects the trigger, why would one then allow the dot to move? I believe you use the word "consistently" quite often. Wink

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Thank you gents. I'm still trying to get the hang of this transition from open sights to red dots. Still feeling like I'm watching "Sing Along With Mitch" chasing that bouncing ball. I'm not sure I wouldn't shoot better with the iron sights.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Most people find they shoot better with the dot. Give it a chance but there's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting iron. I believe all of the unbroken records were shot that way.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm pretty sure it's just the way my pea brain is wired at this time. There is absolutely something about your eye being wired to your trigger finger. I just haven't been able to get my connection to the dot calibrated to my trigger squeezer.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down