Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different Bullets for Long and Short

+3
Wobbley
DavidR
jmdavis
7 posters

Go down

Different Bullets for Long and Short Empty Different Bullets for Long and Short

Post by jmdavis Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:56 pm

We have discussed different loads for the long and short line. The apparent consensus is that there are points to be gained at the shortline via loads which make recoil recovery easier. To this end lighter bullets and/or lighter charges make sense.  

Right now I am using 185 lswc at both 25 and 50, both with the same load (3.7 of BE). My groups are shrinking particularly at the short line, should I start looking at heavier loads or bullets for the long line?

I know alot of people shoot the 200 at the long line. 

Mike
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Different Bullets for Long and Short Empty Re: Different Bullets for Long and Short

Post by DavidR Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Many use a 200 hg68 at 50 yards, they seem to be more forgiving than lighter bullets although a 185 will shoot good at both. Any lighter like a 160 i only use at 25.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Different Bullets for Long and Short Empty Re: Different Bullets for Long and Short

Post by Wobbley Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:30 pm

The consensus amongst the high rollers seems to be a 185 Nosler JHP at 50 and a lead bullet (Zero 185 LSWHP) at the short line.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:39 pm

I was using 4gr Bullseye and a 200 gr lswc at 50 and 4gr WST with a 185 gr button nose at 25. I recently switched to 4.5gr WST for both and so far I like it. Slightly less recoil with the 185....
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:59 am

Meh. I do, but I don't think it's the secret to my success or anything.

I shoot ASYM at the long line because it shoots Xs and I can't make or buy anything that shoots better.

I shoot 160gn reloads at the short line because:

• They work
  • I've been shooting them since forever
  • That's what my Star is set up for
  • I dislike reloading
  • I can crank out a bunch of them in a reasonable amount of time
  • Even though I live in Silicon Valley and make a living Silicon Valley wage, I can't afford to shoot ASYM all the way through

YMMV

I also shoot different ammo at the long line for .22, for similar reasons. I have a dwindling stash of a smokin' 50-yard lot of Lapua Midas (yeah, it's that old), and it's not worth wasting at shorter distances. (I recently looked at that stash and realized that it won't be too long before I have to get back to the Random Rest and try out new lots of .22. Ugh.)

Note your zero changes from 50 to 25 and you are GTG.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Mike,
IMHO, until you get to Mr. Bickar's level, pick a bullet/load that works well in your barrel at 50 yards and stick with it. If you need too, use less powder at 25yds.
my experiance was that when I got to expert class and felt recoil was effecting my performance I started messing with springs, grips and lighter bullets..........then I had an epiphany and realized the .45 is no different than an air pistol. I told my mentor about it and he said "what do you care about recoil, the bullet is long gone before you feel it, work on what's important."
I made highmaster quickly afterwords.
Hope this helps,
Wes

Last edited by Wes Lorenz on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added to mentors advice.)

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:04 am

For the last two seasons I have been using two different loads for long and short.  When you do this you have to spring the gun for the lighter load.  One time last year I decided to shoot a whole match with my long line load.  Felt like I was fighting the gun on the short line because I did not use a heavier spring in the gun. 

Fast forward to this week.  Shot a match using nothing but 185 JHP.  This time I upped the spring weight from 10 to 12 pounds.  It felt great.  Shot my second best score and personal best x-count. 
The only downside to this is the cost per round is higher. 

So my advice is keep spring weight in mind if you are going from two different loads to one .
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down