Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIREClean - lub & cleaner

+6
rich.tullo
ChipEck
jglenn21
Outthere
dronning
DonBrummer
10 posters

Go down

FIREClean - lub & cleaner Empty FIREClean - lub & cleaner

Post by DonBrummer 11/20/2015, 11:50 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Does it live up to the marketing hype?
http://www.cleanergun.com/index.html
DonBrummer
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

FIREClean - lub & cleaner Empty Re: FIREClean - lub & cleaner

Post by dronning 11/21/2015, 8:13 am

I started using it because KC used it on the gun he built for me.  I now use it on everything and it's much easier to clean the guns now - just wipe down.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 11/21/2015, 9:00 am

I've been using it for about a year now. Works great. It is oily though. It removes stuff that my Ed's Red won't.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 11/21/2015, 9:36 pm

interesting debate out there on Fireclean simply being Canola oil..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck 11/21/2015, 10:06 pm

I used it this summer on my .45, .32 and .22
It works, but not so sure it is better than Hoppe's and a coat of Rem oil.  While FireClean is slightly faster, you do not get that wonderful smell of Hoppe's. :-)

Chip
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by DonBrummer 11/22/2015, 10:24 pm

Very interesting indeed. For anyone who might be interested http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/13/yes-its-true-fireclean-is-crisco/.
DonBrummer
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck 11/22/2015, 10:30 pm

DonBrummer wrote:Very interesting indeed. For anyone who might be interested http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/13/yes-its-true-fireclean-is-crisco/.
 THAT explains why, after shooting, I get the urge to buy Kentucky Fried Chicken!

Chip
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 11/23/2015, 9:06 am

Break Free is pretty much Mobile 1 and ATF mixed in a 3:1 ratio. However one must be careful when substituting a known product with common household items. 

When I looked at the ingredients in my favorite case lube they looked familiar. I then realized the core formula was similar to Armorall. The difference, Armorall fouls primers so the mixture may have a bearing on the effectiveness of the product. That said i will try Crisco and report back as I have been getting too much fouling lately owing to the lube on my bullet heads.

Last edited by rich.tullo on 11/23/2015, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 11/23/2015, 9:09 am

been using nothing but Mobil one products for years on my guns.. Their synthetic ATF and  greases are great.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/23/2015, 10:12 am

rich.tullo wrote:Break Free is pretty much Mobile 1 and ATF mixed in a 3:1 ratio. 

Rich..Have things changed?? I have not used Break Free in quite a few years, but I don't remember a hint of ATF fluid. 
We liked Break Free so much, we set gallons of it outside hoping people would steal it..Our agency was not alone on this assessment.
We had a very close call when a police officer's gun was wrestled from her holster. The suspect attempted to kill her.. A large, powerful officer grabbed the gun, hand over the slide with enough pressure to pull the slide slightly out of battery.. The firing pin struck the primer, but did not go off..saving her life..
The primer indention measure .010.. An administrator  who fancied himself a firearms expert, proposed the primer had been de activated by a new bore cleaner, and or Militec lube we had recently begun to use.. To test his assertion, I soaked cartridges in batches of both solutions from days to weeks at a time..Out of 100 test samples,  not one fired to fire.. Federal cartridge techs were advised and consulted.. The indentation caused by the firing pin lacked but a few thousandths of an inch from igniting according to their penetration depth requirements.. My point is, primers are harder to foul that myth would have one believe.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 11/23/2015, 11:37 am

So Jerry what do you think is the best gun oil? A particular manufactured brand  or something home mixed? Ed's red or other
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 11/23/2015, 12:34 pm

This stuff is spendy.  So it must be the best right? lol

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2542573734/mil-comm-tw25b-gun-grease-tube

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 11/23/2015, 1:13 pm

Could be that break free is formulated from the ground up and therefore has no commercial coloring's or smells used to differentiate one product from another. For example Diesel and #2 heating oil are the same thing but they add a smell to #2 heating oil to make sure no one is using it for motor fuel. 

Used it on CCI and TULU primers with the same result something in armor all that fouls primers. Tried on 38 and 45acp. just to test after the first batch which had about 10 fails in 50. At first I thought it was tula primers and while not remington's they worked ok 99.9% of the time with RCBS lube. 

I don't know the cause maybe the silicone or Teflon used in armorall had a chemical reaction with the primers.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 11/23/2015, 2:10 pm

I love this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Gunzilla-Pump-Spray-BC-10/dp/B0052Y8FFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448305736&sr=8-1&keywords=gunzilla

For sliding parts I use a lithium grease.

100 people will have 101 recommendations on how to clean a gun.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/23/2015, 7:07 pm

DavidR wrote:So Jerry what do you think is the best gun oil? A particular manufactured brand  or something home mixed? Ed's red or other
Dave
Police weapons are subject to some very adverse conditions.. In the summer it's often 100degree /100% humidity.. Air conditioned offices/vehicles.. The condensation factor is very high. CLP s are a compromise..They don't do either, clean, lubricate, or preserve, very well. It just didn't perform for us and other agencies that I am aware of.. I am an advocate of a separate cleaner and separate lube. Bike and canine officers have the worst time.. We tried paste waxes and even clear spray paints..which worked very well.. Cops were the first "Rattle Can" finishers..Smile
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 11/24/2015, 1:21 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:
DavidR wrote:So Jerry what do you think is the best gun oil? A particular manufactured brand  or something home mixed? Ed's red or other
Dave
Police weapons are subject to some very adverse conditions.. In the summer it's often 100degree /100% humidity.. Air conditioned offices/vehicles.. The condensation factor is  very high. CLP s are a compromise..They don't do either, clean, lubricate, or preserve, very well.  It just didn't perform for us and other agencies that I am aware of..  I am an advocate of a separate cleaner and separate lube.  Bike and canine officers have the worst time.. We tried paste waxes and even clear spray paints..which worked  very well.. Cops were the first "Rattle Can" finishers..Smile
So in  bullseye shooting what do you recommend? I think that's what we are trying to figure out, currently im using MP7 and Milspec
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/24/2015, 7:27 pm

DavidR wrote:
Jerry Keefer wrote:
Dave
Police weapons are subject to some very adverse conditions.. In the summer it's often 100degree /100% humidity.. Air conditioned offices/vehicles.. The condensation factor is  very high. CLP s are a compromise..They don't do either, clean, lubricate, or preserve, very well.  It just didn't perform for us and other agencies that I am aware of..  I am an advocate of a separate cleaner and separate lube.  Bike and canine officers have the worst time.. We tried paste waxes and even clear spray paints..which worked  very well.. Cops were the first "Rattle Can" finishers..Smile
So in  bullseye shooting what do you recommend? I think that's what we are trying to figure out, currently im using MP7 and Milspec
I am a super proponent of TW25B in high friction areas like the lower lugs, and muzzle/bushing etc. MP7 is a good lube.. I also like Militec and Bob Marvel's Machine Gunners Oil. He doesn't make it, but advised me to try it with a generous sample he provided.. I like it..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down