Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where to get a good rail mount for red dot

+3
Rob Kovach
DavidR
Deerspy
7 posters

Go down

where to get a good rail mount for red dot Empty where to get a good rail mount for red dot

Post by Deerspy 12/2/2015, 8:28 am

I have a springfield MC operator with rail that i would like to mount a ultradot on, by using the rail frame mount, any one know of a good one to buy I have looked on inter net but can't tell much, would like something like the weigand mount, but you have to drill the frame for theres.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

where to get a good rail mount for red dot Empty Re: where to get a good rail mount for red dot

Post by DavidR 12/2/2015, 10:37 am

best is by  marvel custom , imo Clark and rock river are good too.
http://www.marvelcustomguns.com/1911_new_bo-mar.htm
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

where to get a good rail mount for red dot Empty Re: where to get a good rail mount for red dot

Post by Rob Kovach 12/2/2015, 10:47 am

KC Crawford has a good line on a better frame mount than the bridge type.

David R is right. The Al Marvel mount is the best slide mount. With the modern lightweight optics of today, slide mounts are really quite good except for run and gun sports where a faster slide speed is desired.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy 12/2/2015, 11:23 am

it seams all those that I can find on the internet are designed for reflex sights and don't have slot spacing that will work with 1 inch  ultradot, by my measurement 2.25 would be minimum.
I don't want to drill slide or frame?

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 12/2/2015, 11:51 am

Ahhhh, you don't want to drill the slide or frame....

Look at this thread https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t4890-sa-ro-scope-mount

I have seen a bridge sight for guns with a flashlight rail, but it didn't hold zero well.

I have had good luck with the aim tech mount that mounts on one of the grip slabs and indexes on the grip bushings.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/2/2015, 2:08 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:KC Crawford has a good line on a better frame mount than the bridge type.

David R is right. The Al Marvel mount is the best slide mount. With the modern lightweight optics of today, slide mounts are really quite good except for run and gun sports where a faster slide speed is desired.

Sorry I misread the OP, to a frame mount yes KC's mount is great Only problem is he cant get them anymore per our conversation a couple months ago when I wanted to get one. If my memory is right he was looking into getting someone to make them, maybe he will weigh in on this and let us know. The frame mount Les Baer uses and sells is tried and true, Jerry Keefer makes a nice one, but again I don't think it's  available either.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 12/3/2015, 4:51 am

Yes I am working on getting another frame mount done.  R&D takes time and trying to find something that wont cost several hundred bucks is another problem.  It's being worked on, but still some time out.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/3/2015, 8:57 am

DavidR wrote:
 Jerry Keefer makes a nice one, but again I don't think it's  available either.

The mount I make is a modified David Sams' frame mount.. I use his frame base and fabricate a mount to hold the H-1 Aimpoint.. Dave is now manufacturing and stocking that complete system.. It was originally designed for the Ultra Dot, so it will work for either optic..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 12/3/2015, 9:42 am

Crawford also uses a frame mount that is along the same lines as the Sams mount. 

If you are shooting an Aimpoint or a clone. I cannot stress enough that Fred Tott's Kodiak mount is hands down the lightest slide set up and works great. With that set up for out door matches I can shoot a 200 SWC with a #13 recoil spring. 

I also saw this thing on the internet and it looks interesting?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IPSC-side-rail-lock-scope-mount-base-for-TM-1911-MEU-Free-shipping/32411479898.html
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/3/2015, 10:37 am

Frame mounts share the fact that they all anchor to the frame in some manner.. I have installed a very large number of "Bridge" mounts back in the day.. I would not install one of those now, under any circumstances.. If, the dust cover is used for an anchor point, it must be re enforced to support the weight and constant shock.  Look for strength, robust design, solid anchor points.
Below is a mount I made which is based on David Sams's solid anchor system..KC's mount is attached to the frame in an area that has the strength and thickness to adequately support the entire system.
where to get a good rail mount for red dot IMG_1805_zpsr5gsnnua
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 12/3/2015, 10:51 am

Jerry, agree about the anchor point on the dust cover.  Do you silver solder a steel piece onto the dust cover to provide purchase for the mount screws?  I can see the reinforcing piece in the picture, but how you attached it to the frame/dustcover is not clear.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy 12/3/2015, 12:36 pm

I was thinking that these frames with built in dust cover rail would be strong enough to hold red dot. and there for would not have to mod the frame! and with all of the rail guns that are out there I would think some one would have a good solid one on the market.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/3/2015, 1:57 pm

A small plate is silver soldered to the area that supports the mount.  That plate is then drilled and taped. The aluminum upright is machined with a step that accommodates the plate.  The holes in the aluminum plate are sized to be body bound with the plate . The step and the bolts then create a rigid support system unaffected by shock or vibration. The plate is installed with the appropriate compensation for barrel lock up angle.
where to get a good rail mount for red dot DSC03834_zps41454756
where to get a good rail mount for red dot DSC03840_zps541ca891
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/3/2015, 2:34 pm

Here's a photo of the aluminum plate back side, showing the steps the plate and the scope base fit into..Done precisely, it will provide a rock solid foundation.
where to get a good rail mount for red dot DSC03975_zps2epyngoo
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 12/3/2015, 2:53 pm

Thanks Jerry.  Great views and a really well thought out system.  As an aside, I would speculate that some of the new frames with a built-in rail may provide enough "meat" for much better screw purchase than the dust cover.  But they would not provide the strength of the "step" this mount uses.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down