Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accu-rail...Good of bad?

+7
Gary Wells
BE Mike
james r chapman
SW-52
rich.tullo
Jon Eulette
Jake1911
11 posters

Go down

Accu-rail...Good of bad? Empty Accu-rail...Good of bad?

Post by Jake1911 Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Does anybody have knowledge of this? Is it good for accuracy? Please share any experience you have with this good or bad. Thanks

Jake1911

Back to top Go down

Accu-rail...Good of bad? Empty Re: Accu-rail...Good of bad?

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:25 am

In a perfect world frame to slide is probably only 10-15% of your accuracy. A good barrel fit can compensate for loose frame to slide fit. If you are using a frame mount it’s more important because you are sighting off the frame instead of the slide. Accu-Rails can make your life better or worse. You have to keep your pistol cleaner. If your not careful you can get crud under the frame rail and your pistol won’t cycle smoothly. I personally prefer a welded and refit frame over the Accu-Rails.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:23 am

Jon Eulette wrote:In a perfect world frame to slide is probably only 10-15% of your accuracy. A good barrel fit can compensate for loose frame to slide fit. If you are using a frame mount it’s more important because you are sighting off the frame instead of the slide. Accu-Rails can make your life better or worse. You have to keep your pistol cleaner. If your not careful you can get crud under the frame rail and your pistol won’t cycle smoothly. I personally prefer a welded and refit frame over the Accu-Rails.
Jon
+1
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:20 am

Jon Eulette wrote:In a perfect world frame to slide is probably only 10-15% of your accuracy. A good barrel fit can compensate for loose frame to slide fit. If you are using a frame mount it’s more important because you are sighting off the frame instead of the slide. Accu-Rails can make your life better or worse. You have to keep your pistol cleaner. If your not careful you can get crud under the frame rail and your pistol won’t cycle smoothly. I personally prefer a welded and refit frame over the Accu-Rails.
Jon
Welded and refit a frame work same as peened? My wadgun was peened,because a bit loose. The slide to frame fit of my wadgun is excellent.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 am

SW-52 wrote:
Jon
Welded and refit a frame work same as peened? My wadgun was peened,because a bit loose. The slide to frame fit of my wadgun is excellent.

Welding and refit is comparable to fitting a new tight slide.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:15 am

My hardball gun had been tightened by Alex Hamilton. He said that it wouldn't hold. He suggested that it be welded up and refitted or have Accu-Rails installed. I went with Accu-Rails. It feels like it is running on ball bearings and if it ever has to be retightened, it requires only replacing the wire. Larry Carter says that all of his 1911's have Accu-Rails. There is nothing wrong with a re-weld/ refit, but I prefer Accu-Rails. To anticipate a question, Yes, it is legal under CMP rules.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:27 am

IMHO peening is becoming a lost art and fewer and fewer smiths want to do it because of the time involved and loss of customer satisfaction.  I asked Jim Hoag several years back if he still did peening and he replied no, definitely not. He advised buying a new matching frame & slide set.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:35 am

I have seen many 1911's in 9mm and .38 Super "railed" and they work very well. Ironically, I have never seen a .45 1911 railed. I wondered why. BTW, I have a gun at Doug Jones right now being railed, but it too is a .38 Super.

Any .45 1911 acc u rails out there?
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 am

I know 2 people that have railed .45's and I have never heard of a problem with them. One of the owners did mention something last year about keeping the rails wiped off but he was shooting a load that had Bullseye powder in it and maybe that had something to do with it FWIW
                                                                               Skid

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:00 am

Jon what does a weld and refit general cost ?

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:14 pm

I had Accu-rails put on my old stainless steel AMT Hardballer 45. I made distinguished with that gun. Yes, they help with accuracy and are CMP legal.  I also hand fitted a Kart barrel for a tight lock-up and put in a Briley spherical bushing to relieve barrel springing. It's almost as accurate as my wadgun.  

For stainless steel guns, Accu-rails are a better option than peening/welding.  Never had any problems with it, but you must use the proper lube - Shooter's Choice FP-10.  It doesn't affect tight tolerances.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:25 pm

Hello,

I would venture a guess that you would have a hard time finding an established Bullseye smith, let alone any established M1911 smith, that still peens rails.  The sound of steel pinging when they crack is enough to persuade most to abandon the process.

As to the Accurail system, it really shines if you are building a M1911 with an aluminum frame.  It is the only way of tightening, and keeping tight, the slide to frame fit.  I have had a Colt Commander for over twenty years, with Accurails and a steel feed ramp insert, and it still shows no wear today.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes I think accuracy-rails on aluminum frames is way to go! I still get peening  jobs a couple times a year. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down