Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gun Screws

+2
weber1b
Fire Escape
6 posters

Go down

Gun Screws Empty Gun Screws

Post by Fire Escape Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am

This may not belong in this section but .... where?

Usually when I need a 'special' gun screw not on hand (I am a hobbyist, no big part inventory), I need to order some from Brownell's. Sometimes that means waiting until I 'need' (or can afford) enough things to make a worthwhile order, so the project has to be set aside.
While wandering the 'Pick-Nut' section of my local True Value Hardware store yesterday I noticed something that I had not seen before, several trays specifically marked as "Gun Screws". Not sure of all the sizes but I did note 6-48 and 8-32 with fillister and oval heads as well as some set screws.
Might be worth checking out the next time you are in your local store, could be a big time saver.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Gun Screws Empty Re: Gun Screws

Post by weber1b Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:35 am

I love True Value as a source of single unusual size screws. The big guys don't want to deal with that stuff (volume only) and True Value has folks who know their products.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:00 pm

The last place I would buy screws would be Brownell's.  Our local True Value along with others nearby contract with a separate company to stock and service all of their fasteners.  They even straighten out the bins.  The only thing TV employees do is help customers with their purchase.  One owner of a True Value store stated that a significant part of their revenue was derived from just nuts and bolts.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 am

I would also recommend a nice set of hollow ground straight tip screwdrivers.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Agreed but I have not found hollow ground screw drivers at True Value.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 pm

Track down your Snap-on guy and select some electronic screwdrivers.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:26 am

I don't think that Snap On make them, though they might make hollow ground bits. I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-USA-Screwdriver-Gunsmithing-Screwdrivers/dp/B0030HL5O0

and never looked back. Nearly all my tools are Snap On, but for gun work, these are very good.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:28 am

Yeah True Value has quite a selection. Making the 1911 grip adapters for my Feinwerkbau AW93 just before Perry I wanted to Anodize the Aluminum but didn't have time so I order the spray paint for aluminum from Brownell's. Came a day before I had to leave for Perry so I quickly removed the screws and painted the aluminum. Set the pieces in the sun to cure and put all the screws in a pill bottle. So that I would not scratch the painted aluminum because it needed more time to cure I put them on the deck below my rear window of my car to cook in the sun. The gun and all the other parts were in the case that comes with the AW.
 At Perry I decided to assemble the gun only to find I have everything needed except the screws! When making the adapter I didn't want to alter the gun so that at any time I could return it to as made stock with out any cuts or holes anywhere. I therefore used the threaded holes used for the grips provided by Feinwerkbau.
 A trip to TV in Port Clinton got me all the screws I needed even the metric ones! I assembled the gun and shot in the rain!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down