Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which 1911 Hammer is Best???

+2
SmokinNJokin
Tim:H11
6 posters

Go down

Which 1911 Hammer is Best??? Empty Which 1911 Hammer is Best???

Post by Tim:H11 7/7/2016, 9:59 am

If a bullseye pistol smith (working on a 1911 45) had a reason to replace the hammer, what hammer(s) are common or most popular in the shops of the people who really know what they're doing and have been doing 1911 work for years? 

Also - Which hammer(s) give you the most bang for your buck? The really good options on a budget. 

Just curious what's being considered an industry standard. KC's hammers - however great they are with the sear is not an option I'm hoping to see. I'm looking for more of the choice among factory / production parts available across midway and brownells. Not knocking KC's trigger parts or his work. They're great and that goes without saying. Like I mentioned I'm just looking at production options.

Back to top Go down

Which 1911 Hammer is Best??? Empty Re: Which 1911 Hammer is Best???

Post by SmokinNJokin 7/7/2016, 10:04 am

Cylinder & Slide parts are high quality, a good starting point for a crisp trigger and available on Brownell's. I have a set on my marvel .22 lower, that was easily cleaned up.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 7/7/2016, 10:05 am

Not a simple answer. Any quality name brand hammer can be used. Hammers are along for the ride! Sears do majority of the work. I try and get hammers without the notch cut into them because I typically do short roll trigger jobs. They are great for crisp trigger job. Every smith does it slightly different. KC's stuff is great for long roll. When I use his stuff I shorten roll 95%.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 7/7/2016, 10:48 am

I only build 1911s for my family and myself. That said,  I like and have used Wilson hammers quite a bit.. very solid hammers... I have shifted to E2(extreme Engineering) internals over the last year... really nice quality without spending  a ton.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 7/7/2016, 12:17 pm

I do not know if there is any benefit to just changing a hammer without changing the sear and dis-connector? 

EGW, C&S, and KC's stuff seem to be the best ones but a good smith is what you need for a good trigger job. 

Many claim to offer drop in kits but IMHO unless you are lucky. The kit is not a competition trigger job in every gun. 

And then there are other considerations, if your hammer follows the holes in your frame or your sear spring may be off and that will not be fixed with a hammer. New parts will not 100% fix that but a good smith will. 

RT
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 7/7/2016, 12:27 pm

Thanks for all the input. I do not currently have a problem with my range officer. Runs great. But I'm thinking about piecing together a plinker and was wondering about a decent production hammer that's not garbage. Fitting most of the time needed I understand and I'm not looking to build a match gun. Just wondering which ones to stay away from and with ones seem to be popular.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 7/7/2016, 7:43 pm

All my guns are on the way to Perry, but here's a pic or two that might illustrate the difference... It depends on what type gun.. Wadcutter or Ball gun..
I use Chuck Warner's TR system.. His  hammer is stout, relieved to match a steep angle on the firing pin stop.. I relieve the hammer even more.  I don't want any energy bled off cocking the mechanism..Hard ball is the complete opposite, were square bottom stops  and angle contoured hammers are more desirable..
The last picture is a light weight hammer, that is prone to breakage.. Too thin, after breaking several, I no longer employ this design..I have never broken one of Chuck's.. They are available thru Harrison Design..
Which 1911 Hammer is Best??? IMG_3248_zpsyfnxqyba
Which 1911 Hammer is Best??? IMG_0193_zpse06fe28dWhich 1911 Hammer is Best??? IMG_0192_zpsf26b5a79
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 7/8/2016, 10:51 am

Jerry,
I really like that top hammer, looked around on Harrison Design's website and couldn't find it. What do they market it as? The 'extreme duty' hammer with TR sear did not appear to be relieved at all.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down