Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trigger length?

+6
Jwhelan939
SW-52
Froneck
DavidR
Chris Miceli
Aprilian
10 posters

Go down

trigger length? Empty trigger length?

Post by Aprilian Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:14 pm

I am new to the 1911 platform, but during dry fire am starting to notice that I feel like I have to engage finger muscles to hold my finger on the blade of the trigger (before starting the pull).  On my .22 Buckmark there is a more relaxed feel to the trigger position and it is further from the back of the grip (it is no longer the straight TK trigger in my picture to the left).  I know nothing about the previous owner of the pistol so I have no way of knowing if he had small fingers and reduced the trigger size.

Is there a listing somewhere of the measured differences in lengths?  Is there a measurement I can take with the trigger installed to know what length mine is?

How do most people select trigger length (is it preference or only related to finger length)?

If I am using Randall Fung grips, does that make any difference to which length trigger I want?

If I buy a new trigger which brand is recommended for needing the least amount of fitting work?

Thanks
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

trigger length? Empty Re: trigger length?

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:22 pm

It's a personal preference. The main goal is having a repeatable trigger squeeze without moving the sights. My hand is the size of a thick 13 year old girl's. I prefer a short trigger and can only reach it with the middle of the first pad. I can shoot a long trigger, but I have to rotate my hand.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:27 pm

best thing is find guns that have the 3 sizes and see what feels best.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:11 am

Trigger length is determined after proper grip has been established. Adjusting the grip to attain trigger length is incorrect.
 Next is to determine what part of the trigger finger on the trigger is best for you. Some of the top shooters prefer the trigger on the first joint, others like the pad somewhat between the first joint and the end of the finger. A High Master at my club likes the end of the finger so that the finger curl looks like a ? mark.
 There is no ideal length, that has to be determined by the shooter.
 I would suggest you start as Dave mentioned, try guns with different lengths, also try varying the location of the finger. When you have an idea of the approximate length get a solid trigger so you can simply adjust the length with a file. If it's made too short epoxy the end and start over. Epoxy will not be a permanent fix but it will work to determine the desired length. Adjusting the grip to find the correct length will work but only as a means to find the length and finger location then alter trigger to get the correct length when the proper grip is used.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:16 pm

my R.O have long trigger,i read an article what mention the best trigger lenght is small,because better grip. i have small hands with midsize fingers and i will change for small trigger,because i feel i have more grip with a shorter trigger.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:19 pm

DavidR wrote:best thing is find guns that have the 3 sizes and see what feels best.
or fit the three sizes and have a pistol with three triggers.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:41 pm

SW-52 wrote:
DavidR wrote:best thing is find guns that have the 3 sizes and see what feels best.
true except I never use a short, they are for really tiny hands.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:52 pm

I change what length I use based on the guns other accessories. I have big hands, but when I'm using ergo nil or rink grips I like a short or medium sti trigger. I also like a medium on my GI 1911 with arched msh. If I'm shooting slabs with a flat msh I tend to do better with a long. 

I know it's an annoying answer, but the only way to figure out what fits you best is to try them. Brownells lists the lengths of all their trigger in the specs tab. 

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:10 pm

DavidR wrote:
SW-52 wrote:
true except I never use a short, they are for really tiny hands.
Really? I guess I have really tiny hands. I prefer the short trigger. Smile
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:33 pm

First of all let me caution the new shooter about reading books on shooting. Unless the author is or has been one one the top Bullseye Pistol Shooters don't bother reading it! To often I read articles by some gun information writer that hasn't a clue how to shoot Bullseye! The type that rates a gun as a tact driver after putting it on sandbags and gets a fair group at 25 yards. I did that, got a book by George Note (I think that how it's spelled) Practiced and did as he described, I got fairly good shooting a revolver in a Police L target Summer league. Until I signed-up for instruction at an NRA convention. Shooters like Harry Reeves and Frank Higginson were there. I found that the information in that book was not good. When I returned and did as they suggested I became the top shooter in the league, it actually got boring so I started shooting NRA Bullseye! Eventually I became NJ State Bullseye Champion. New shooters will be better off  taking advise from members here like Jon, John or others that are or have been Master or High Master shooters. Naturally anything written by someone like Zins or one of the former National Champions is a good source but avoid information by those shooting sports writers that don't compete! Too often you will develop a bad habit that's hard to break.
 New shooter have to understand that there are some "average hands" but even they are different. After the proper grip is established the shooter then finds his optimum finger location and length of pull. I'm currently making a trigger for one of the top High Master shooters that is 1/4" longer than the longest available. Some shooter have big hands and short fingers, others have big hands and Looong fingers and other have a combination between those.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:51 pm

I have observed in my own (right hand) shooting if the trigger is too long, I throw shots right.  If you can get your trigger finger motion to be only at the middle joint I think is where you want to be.  Trigger too short is better than too long.  IMO
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Trigger too long you will be pushing it, to short and you will pull it, either way it will create drag. This you will notice when checking the pull, it feel like the weight that it has been adjusted to, assuming it's a 1911 then it's 3.5 pounds. But when you try to shoot in a match if feels heavier because you set the gun in the hand like it's supposed to be, grip it firm but not too tight but now the finger is pushing or pulling the trigger side ways causing drag and it feels heavier, can feel creepy too. Just about everyone is using aluminum triggers, aluminum does no slide well!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Froneck wrote: Just about everyone is using aluminum triggers, aluminum does no slide well!
Drill a hole in the top and bottom of the trigger and glue in ball bearings. The depth of the holes adjusts the frame to trigger tolerance.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 am

Wes Lorenz wrote:
Froneck wrote: Just about everyone is using aluminum triggers, aluminum does no slide well!
Drill a hole in the top and bottom of the trigger and glue in ball bearings. The depth of the holes adjusts the frame to trigger tolerance.

I've drilled and tapped triggers before and put set screws in top and bottom of triggers and polished screw ends to slick it up on aluminum triggers. Oil works too :l)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:53 am

Steel is good! The old steel triggers that are almost impossible to find worked good. Doing something to supply a better surface than Aluminum is good! Steel screws or balls are much better than the surface of Aluminum! I have machined tons of aluminum in my shop over the years and was surprised to see Aluminum wore my cutters more than steel!
 One time I was having trouble tapping 1/2 hard 4140, a salesman suggested Chrome plated taps, didn't work. I call the engineering dept. of a tap manufacture that did give me the correct tap to use. While talking to them I mentioned Chrome plated taps, and was told NO! they are for Aluminum. I asked why? Aluminum is soft. I was told yes it is but very abrasive.
 Worse is the outer coating, Aluminum does rust but the rust that forms protects the Aluminum and acts like paint, scratch Aluminum and the shiny material will be exposed but after a while it will oxidize and become the color of the surrounding area. Aluminum Oxide is what grinding wheels and emery paper uses.
 Therefore the Aluminum trigger is acting like a hone plus mixed with oil the oxide that rubs off makes a lapping compound. The one good thing is that it will polish the trigger channel.
 Tinkering around one day looking for something to do (that is not often) I decided to do some needed maintenance on my 1911. In the process I decided to make an Aluminum Bronze trigger. Turned out to be more work than I wanted but I eventually completed the task. WOW!!! Lots of work but well worth the effort! My next gun I build (have 2 piles of components) I'm putting in an Aluminum trigger to polish the surface then use an Aluminum Bronze trigger!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down