Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems?

+3
SteveT
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
7 posters

Go down

Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems? Empty Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:45 am

On another forum someone said that BE shooters are prone to joint problems and bone spurs. 
The idea is that locking your elbow (he said) is hard on your joints/bones, 
but bent elbow Weaver/Isocoles is OK.
Any truth to this? Any long-time BE shooter here have "damage" from years of offhand shooting?
Not that this would stop me...

Back to top Go down

Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems? Empty Re: Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems?

Post by Wobbley Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

I think the real danger is Tennis Elbow from hyper extending tendons.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems? Empty Re: Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems?

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Well I've been doing this a long time. I have no bone spurs. I have battled tendonitis in my elbow on and off but I really can't blame shooting BE for it. I think wirst thing about BE is that it uses one side of the body. I guess asymmetrical. We use same arm over and over. We lean one direction repeatedly. My spine is crooked as hell from all the shooting I've done. So training one side of the body isn't a good thing.......but I do it ;l)
I think if we approach BE from a more natural position (more upright) and not forcing the hold so hard in the elbow that we can reduce the strain. Weight training is crucial but majority of shooters don't do it. So finding a balance is important.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:07 pm

I've only seen 2 common maladies in bullseye shooters, tennis elbow and old fat guy syndrome. The former can be exacerbated by shooting the latter is correlation, not necessarily causation.

The only time I've experienced tennis elbow was when I was going for my distinguished badge and shooting lots of hardball. My elbows are hyper-extended which I think makes it worse. Rotating my elbow so that it is facing up and tennis elbow stretching exercises made it go away. Getting my badge and not shooting as much hardball also helped.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:28 pm

I resemble that. Do I have to give up shooting to lose weight? Wouldn't do it though. Smile

Off Hand Shooting Stance = Joint Problems? Dscf0312
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Len, the skinny shooters will never appreciate the benefit of a built-in recoil dampening system.  Don't let our secret out.  Wink
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Fishing and shooting are my "sports"  no weight training or conditioning required.  I would like to shuck 40lbs though.  Not willing to lop off a limb to do it though.  haha!
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Avoid Ergo Grips 

Do not practice too much 100 rounds of 45 acp is my limit, 50 rounds 2 twice a week is my limit

Shoot lead, 185s less than 4.0 BE loads or equivalent 

Stretch you arms and wrists often

Learn how to hang the gun off your frame as described in Yur Yev's book

Listen to your body, if you get pain after a 900 don't shoot a 2700 call it quits

Motrin

These things helped me I am no master but I have nerve damage from an accident and I can hold the 9 ring.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:30 pm

SteveT wrote:I've only seen 2 common maladies in bullseye shooters, tennis elbow and old fat guy syndrome. The former can be exacerbated by shooting the latter is correlation, not necessarily causation.

The only time I've experienced tennis elbow was when I was going for my distinguished badge and shooting lots of hardball. My elbows are hyper-extended which I think makes it worse. Rotating my elbow so that it is facing up and tennis elbow stretching exercises made it go away. Getting my badge and not shooting as much hardball also helped.

I am an old fat guy in training. Getting there...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down