Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app?

+8
smdial
Tim:H11
fpk
BE Mike
sixftunda
Jon Eulette
Chris Miceli
zanemoseley
12 posters

Go down

Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app? Empty Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app?

Post by zanemoseley Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to drop cash on a turning target system. Coach Dave's system is a bit over $500 and seems to work as intended, perhaps not the best looking alternative but 1/3 the cost of the really nice ones. Of those of you that have practiced with both a turning target and the bullseye timer app do you feel its worth the cost and hassle of the turning target? I will have to haul the target to my local range for each use where the app is easy (just take headphones and my phone).

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app? Empty Re: Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app?

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:32 pm

You must learn to shoot the turn

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app? Empty Re: Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app?

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 pm

I broke 2650 never training on turning targets. I broke 2650 never/rarely practicing 50 yds. Learn to pull the trigger! No gimmicks to shooting well. I think the mind is the most powerful training aid. Turning targets or laser training systems (whatever) are over rated. It has to happen in the mind before it can happen on the target. Everything a BE shooter needs can be found in dry firing and reinforcing it in live fire. So I don't think you need the turning target system.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I broke 2650 never training on turning targets. I broke 2650 never/rarely practicing 50 yds. Learn to pull the trigger! No gimmicks to shooting well. I think the mind is the most powerful training aid. Turning targets or laser training systems (whatever) are over rated. It has to happen in the mind before it can happen on the target. Everything a BE shooter needs can be found in dry firing and reinforcing it in live fire. So I don't think you need the turning target system.
Jon
This dudes better than me, listen to him

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Dang Jon, 2650 with no turning target. Geez

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:41 pm

I have a turning target.  I needed it to break 2600.  At the time I was not competing every weekend.  Right now I am shooting at least one match per weekend, sometimes two.  The only thing I do during the week is blank wall dry fire.  If I couldn't shoot every weekend I would be using it on my off weeks. 

If you aren't shooting a match every weekend then I would say you need one.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Everyone is different, with different strengths and weaknesses. If you have identified, through a diary, that sustained fire is a weakness, i.e., getting the first shot off at a match or other identifiable problem, then turning targets may help. Most coaches believe in having your training mirror match conditions. Apparently though, it's different strokes for different folks. What works for a military team member or another who is a high master, may not be appropriate for a marksman or sharpshooter. If you have laid out a reasonable training program for yourself, that you are following and are taking advantage of a shooting diary and written shot plan, you'll be able to answer your own question, as to the value of any additional training aids. Of course a good coach, which most of us don't have the luxury of having, can be the best training aid.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 pm

I've recently discovered Ed Hall's site, which amount the treasure trove is this:

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/turningsystemnew.html

If you are at all mechanically inclined, this looks really easy to build.

fpk

http://brazosprecision.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:19 pm

fpk wrote:I've recently discovered Ed Hall's site, which amount the treasure trove is this:

The hard part doesn't appear to be the turning assembly itself. The hard part is getting a controller that will read commands and actuate your target.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:23 pm

zanemoseley wrote:
fpk wrote:I've recently discovered Ed Hall's site, which amount the treasure trove is this:

The hard part doesn't appear to be the turning assembly itself. The hard part is getting a controller that will read commands and actuate your target.
That doesn't seem that hard to fix with a NEMA stepper and some gears. Now I'm intrigued and will see if I can design something that would work.

fpk

http://brazosprecision.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:53 pm

I would LOVE my own personal turning target system on my home range but I'm not going to drop the money on it. I shot 2594 at the regionals. A personal best. I started shooting full 2700's a little under a year ago. I had no turning targets to practice with and still don't. Only time I shoot em is at a match. With a turning target I find just hold middle of the edge of the board. When it turns, fine tune the shot and make it a good one. All the time in the world to get it right. Don't rush it. My problem in the beginning was I'd hammer that first shot trying to ambush the target and not waste time. You got PLENTY of time. Pick your shots. Take your time. Biggest advice that has worked yet for me was to slow down and shoot my own game. For the longest time I've been judging time by when others are shooting. Can't do it. I rush shots and it's a nightmare. If you fine you're too late for a last shot just keep at it. You'll get there.

Thanks for the advice Michael!

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:14 pm

IF you're still looking for a turning target system, you can combine Tom Talpey's bullseye app with my circuit board:

https://github.com/100-5x/Bullseye-Target-System

I can build and send to you if interested.

smdial

http://indy1800.org

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:43 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I broke 2650 never training on turning targets. I broke 2650 never/rarely practicing 50 yds. Learn to pull the trigger! No gimmicks to shooting well. I think the mind is the most powerful training aid. Turning targets or laser training systems (whatever) are over rated. It has to happen in the mind before it can happen on the target. Everything a BE shooter needs can be found in dry firing and reinforcing it in live fire. So I don't think you need the turning target system.
Jon
Greetings Jon,

With a turning target setup you might have made 2670. Maybe even beat Hershel's 2680.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:12 pm

Dave, 
I think my biggest mistake was shooting long slides for too long. I’ve shot 890’s with them, but not as many as I believe I would have with a 5” gun. Much more forgiving on the long line. I never put up 3 good aggregates back to back. My PB aggregates break 70….maybe someday:)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app? Empty Slow and Sustained fire

Post by wamalo Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:27 pm

From my perspective there's only slow and sustained fire.  Many will disagree, but I don't distinguish between timed and rapid fire; they're both merely sustained fire.  Slow fire can be practiced on any type of target system.  Sustained fire practice required a turning target.  While you can use a timer of some type, Mark Time for instance, but you lose practicing where to hold on the target edge, any slight adjustments that must be done upon target face, and quick first shot squeeze.  Lastly, you need to get to the point where shooting a target is routine whether it's in practice, in a match, or in an alibi.  Much easier said than done.

wamalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:44 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:You must learn to shoot the turn

You must learn to shoot YOUR shot within whatever conditions are apparent.
Jack H
Jack H

farmboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Practice with turning target versus bullseye timer app? Empty you can have both!

Post by samtoast Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:40 pm

You can make your own turning target which utilizes Tom Talpey's Bullseye Match App. 

smdial's design is simple and inexpensive, and small enough take it with you anywhere you go.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20034-diy-wifi-turning-target-system-easy-to-build?highlight=smdial#174745

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down