Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock?

+4
desben
NuJudge
AllAces
Slartybartfast
8 posters

Go down

Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock? Empty Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock?

Post by Slartybartfast 9/7/2017, 2:13 pm

Okay first off: I have the following legal requirements to transport my pistols:

11 An individual may transport a restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device;
(c) it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation; and
(d) if it is in a container described in paragraph (c) that is in an unattended vehicle,
(i) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and
(ii) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is not visible from outside the vehicle.

I don't want to discuss the law or politics. It is what it is.
11 (a) and 11 (c) are simple. My pistols are never loaded except for at the firing line and I currently have a pelican case that fits my S&W, and will be getting a locking toolbox or similar for my newly acquired FAS607.
The condition I'm trying to fulfil in a more elegant manner is 11 (b). While the standard taught is to use either a classic trigger lock or a cable lock I have the following problems:
- Classic trigger locks seem to be perfectly fitted for some revolver design of trigger and trigger guard. As such, my current trigger lock fits on the S&W only after two pins were broken and the lock is placed at an odd angle (or I take a knife to a couple locating lumps on each half of the lock). I'm not even certain a classic trigger lock will fit on the FAS.
- For cable locks, I wouldn't have a problem using a good one on the S&W. Just think the one the pistol came with is a POS that has no business being near the pistol. The big problem is the FAS. A cable lock won't pass through the grip. Unless I made a hole somewhere for it to come through.
As I have no extra locks at this time, the FAS is "secured" by removing the grip and installing the cheap POS cable lock that came with the S&W.
So, any ideas or recommendations?
Anyone have experience with Omega gun locks? (http://www.omegagunlock.com/semi-auto-pistols)
Maybe another Canadian or two might be able to chime in on how the local enforcement types might interpret "secure locking device".
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock? Empty Re: Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock?

Post by AllAces 9/7/2017, 2:39 pm

My Ruger came with an Omega lock and it is effective in rendering the gun inoperable. Just don't lose the unlocking tool as it is specific to the lock (same concept as those lug nuts that use a unique socket to remove). Once installed the bolt cannot be pulled back.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 9/7/2017, 3:53 pm

AllAces wrote:My Ruger came with an Omega lock and it is effective in rendering the gun inoperable. Just don't lose the unlocking tool as it is specific to the lock (same concept as those lug nuts that use a unique socket to remove). Once installed the bolt cannot be pulled back.
I'm attracted to those locks because they're something that can't be defeated by a standard tool and using brute force risks damaging the firearm.
Colleagues have suggested going the route of meeting the "letter of the law" and using the really cheap trigger locks such as the Bellock (the ones that are just two halves and a screw). But I want something that is safe, should they get into the safe, with my kids. That means I want something that isn't just paying lip service to the requirements by providing an easily defeated "lock".
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 9/7/2017, 6:27 pm

In the past I spent a lot of time examining and testing trigger locks in the past, and am unimpressed by all of them, so I don't think the quality is a reason to differentiate between them.  I do use them, because I am effectively required to use them.  I would just suggest that you buy a lot of them, keyed alike.  

I would transport them in a locked container also, and cable lock the container to your vehicle.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 9/8/2017, 8:00 am

A locked pelican case should offer adequate protection from the kids. At that point, the trigger lock is just to meet the law; I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Since you're in Canada... You know you must keep the ammunition separate from the guns. Keep it in a solid locked case your kids can't get into. A gun without ammo isn't very dangerous. I keep mine in a steel tool case with a padlock.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 9/8/2017, 9:26 am

desben wrote:Since you're in Canada... You know you must keep the ammunition separate from the guns.
The locked pelican case is only for transport. Unfortunately, it can't hold the FAS and just barely holds the S&W. I'm thinking of changing to a locking tool box and using gun rugs or "bore stores" (http://borestores.com/index.php) for transport.
Home storage is in a combination safe with a separate locked compartment inside for ammunition. But that was a quick impulse buy because it was cheap and available just as I purchased my first handgun. It's better suited for rifles than handguns. Looking to change to a locking office cabinet arrangement that some local sellers have that would give me a tall space for rifles, a cabinet for supplies and ammo, and three large drawers for the handguns. 

So I've got those bases covered.

As for keeping the ammunition separate from the gun, I've wondered about what is required for transport. As per the letter of the law, seems the ammunition can be carried any way you want as long as the guns are unloaded.

More pressing matters on the shooting sports front right now are the fact the City of Pointe Claire has kicked our 56 year old non-profit club (Pointe Claire Rifle Club) out of the city owned premises and we currently have no range to shoot at.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by justin21 8/3/2022, 10:06 pm

Combination gun trigger locks always give me a significant amount of comfort. Mizzuco’s 3-Digit Combination Gun Lock isn’t any different, as it offers users 1,000 possible combinations for quality gun safety.

justin21

Back to top Go down

Post by wascanapistol 8/4/2022, 12:13 pm

I have a FAS6007 so I understand the issue with not being able to use a cable lock. I use one of those Master brand blue trigger locks available at Canadian Tire. At least it covers most of the trigger guard.

wascanapistol

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 8/4/2022, 1:35 pm

Stainless steel chain might be overkill but it gets the job done. Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock? 20220710
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 8/4/2022, 4:39 pm

When I had to transport my guns to a range in a very restrictive village I used something like this. I figured it was good enough to meet the letter of the law without taking up much room in the box and if lost or forgot the "key" I could probably get it open with a ball point pen. I don't know if it will fit a FAS, but it is small enough that it really just prevents the trigger from going back and it's so cheaply made I could grind down part of it if necessary.

https://smile.amazon.com/Trigger-Finger-Universal-Firearms-Handguns/dp/B093GTQ9XX/ref=sr_1_45?crid=3AVPI8YZABTIV&keywords=trigger%2Block&qid=1659648777&sprefix=trigger%2Block%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-45&th=1

If I was securing my guns from little kids I would use something much more secure.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down