Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yur'ev's Competitive Shooting - an experiment in new translation

5 posters

Go down

Yur'ev's Competitive Shooting - an experiment in new translation Empty Yur'ev's Competitive Shooting - an experiment in new translation

Post by Oleg G Mon Dec 25 2017, 12:52

I have an electronic copy of Yur'ev's Competitive Pistol book in Russian.
It looks like the English translation is out of print and it getting more expensive as time goes by. I decided to try my hand at an independent translation from Russian to English and to make the electronic version available to the community.

It doesn't look that this will violate any copyrights: the Russian version or the book seems to have passed into the public domain; I was able to easily locate several electronic versions on line and as downloadable PDF files.

I just started this work during the holiday weekend and only translated a few pages. The work proves to be very challenging, since the book is laden with physics, ballistics and biology jargon, with which I am entirely unfamiliar. I am attaching a file with my work so far. If it generates sufficient interest, I will continue the work. If it proves to not have any benefit to the community, I will abandon the project, as for my own needs I can read the book in the original Russian.

As the first edition, I plan to focus only on pistol-related material. Later, if needed, I will add the rifle-related contents.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o7HXGYq7gSW50Et66-dhm4DlunyBcb-J?usp=sharing

Regards,
Oleg
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Yur'ev's Competitive Shooting - an experiment in new translation Empty Re: Yur'ev's Competitive Shooting - an experiment in new translation

Post by Guest Mon Dec 25 2017, 13:14

I’ll read it! I was going to order a used copy recently, but paying 50 bucks plus for a dog eared copy stuck in my craw. Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Yur'ev's Competitive Shooting - an experiment in new translation Empty Re: Yur'ev's Competitive Shooting - an experiment in new translation

Post by Eddie 500 Mon Dec 25 2017, 21:33

Nice work. I'm also interested in reading it.....thx for sharing your skills Cool

Eddie 500

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye99 Mon Dec 25 2017, 22:48

Can you please provide me with a link to the Russian version of the book. I was unable to find it online. 
I just ordered a copy on EBay for $60, but would love to read it in the original.
I think it is an immense undertaking to translate the entire book and make it available to the shooting community in a digital format and I commend you for taking on this challenge.
Good luck!

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Post by Boris_La Tue Dec 26 2017, 00:20

Oleg,
I might be able to help you with some translation, should you decide to continue.
Please provide the link to obtain the original book and specify what topics you would like me to start.
I think more bilingual members may join and group effort will speed up the process if coordinated.

Boris_La

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Dec 26 2017, 01:02

I have a excellent condition copy of the book as English translation by the NRA.  It's showing copyrights.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=21952
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Tue Dec 26 2017, 07:34

Jack,

I understand the NRA-published book has a copyright. I am not a copyright lawyer, however, as far as I know, the publishing company and the translator can only obtain copyrights to the translation itself, not to the contents in the original language. That copyright is held by the original author until it passes to the public domain. Even when the original work is in public domain, the translation can still be copyrighted. I am not using the NRA book as a source or an aid (I don't even have a copy). Instead I am attempting a fresh translation from Russian into English. Finally, I don't plan to obtain profit from my work. So, hopefully, I am not breaking the US copyright laws. Smile

Here's the link to one of the online HTLM versions of the book.

http://www.shooting-ua.com/books/book_111.htm
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down