Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailside Safety

3 posters

Go down

Trailside Safety Empty Trailside Safety

Post by 7tcu Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:56 pm

last week jglenn21 gave me some good advise on the recoil spring, now I am trying to reinstall the safety lever, but me and the safety bearing are having a hard time getting along. I had two of them,  now I have one but before I lose another one does anyone have any advise on how to install this piece. Hopefully this should be the last thing I need to get this pistol back in working condition.
7tcu
7tcu

Back to top Go down

Trailside Safety Empty Re: Trailside Safety

Post by jglenn21 Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:38 pm

well I haven't had mine apart yet but I'm sure it's coming..

Obviously you need some way to hold the slide vertically (vise) and then someway to hold the spring and detent ball back into the recess until you can feed the safety leaver in.. a bit of grease on the spring and ball will tend to keep them in place a bit..

having a large 2 gallon plastic bag around things will keep the flying parts around.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:20 am

I bought my trailside used, and the previous owner must have really liked to use the safety.  The lever flopped back and forth, going on safe at random times like in the middle of a string of rapid. I don't remember how I got all the parts stuffed back in. There may have been some swearing.  My advice would be to never put it on safe again, once you get it back together.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by 7tcu Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks, I have been shooting it without the safety but would like it back to its original shape. I have been trying what you'll have suggested and will keep trying,
7tcu
7tcu

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 pm

took a look at my safety this afternoon when I was cleaning my trailside.. the safety itself has a hole in the portion that goes into the slide.. It appears this hole should allow you to put the spring and ball detent in through that hole while it's aligned with the retaining hole in plug in the back of the slide.. that would allow the safety to be halfway into the slide.. perhaps a small allen wrench will allow you to push the detent and spring back so you can rotate the safety thus capturing the detent and spring behind the safety while you push it all the way in... 

Similar to putting the detent and spring into an AR front pivot pin...

hopes this makes sense
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by 7tcu Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 am

That looks like a very good idea. Thanks
7tcu
7tcu

Back to top Go down

Post by 7tcu Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 pm

That was more than a great idea, because with a 5/64" Allen wrench it is back together working like new. That is twice you have said the day. Thank you so much.
7tcu
7tcu

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm

you're now the local expert.. I'll send you mine when it fails Smile

Fun little pistols
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content