Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Periodicals

+4
lyman1903
Slartybartfast
Jack H
Multiracer
8 posters

Go down

Periodicals Empty Periodicals

Post by Multiracer Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Or sometimes referred to as magazines.
Are there any good ones that cover reloading, accuracy, new items, tournaments, stuff like that ? I have seen enough "compact" 9mms to choke a horse.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Periodicals Empty Re: Periodicals

Post by Jack H Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm

Bullseye (Precision Pistol) is too small and stable of equipment for on-going coverage like that.

How about here we sticky a thread on real useful information?  Perhaps links like this
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/3/22/handloading-service-pistol-and-accurate-ammo/
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t1209-pet-loads-of-top-shooters-loads-from-the-past

Or a hint to google like   "reloading for pistol accuracy"  or  "Nygord notes"

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/reloads.htm

And of course links to Ed Hall and Brian Zins

Might even categorize it to each sticky area - "Show me your useful links"
Equipment, Fundamentals, Ammo,
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:40 am

Part of my musings of what could be possible if clubs were supported by national organisations in developing competition and match calendars (or just by putting some money into Practiscore.com) was how clubs could be helped with websites and communication.

With an easy to setup & configure CMS driven website with a few templates for layout, clubs could have articles like these as part of a regular rotation on their home webpages to keep the content fresh and accessible through archives as well.

With such a setup clubs wouldn't need a webmaster. Just administrators that know how to approve and classify content.

In addition to articles being received, clubs could share articles out as well. Calendar events could be classified as local or expanded to regional and beyond.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 pm

I recall seeing a few articles here and there in American Handgunner when I was a subscriber years ago,

and that is about it, other than maybe  a blurb in the back of an American Rifleman,

saying this as a guy that used to shoot Service Rifle,  Bullseye (precision pistol) is a quiet sport,
as in no one that is active seems to talk about it,

as a Firearms Dealer , specializing mostly in estates  and collectables, I meet a lot of folks that SHOT bullseye, but none that SHOOT bullseye any longer,

my shooting club only has  a 22 match on Wednesdays, for lunch,  been years since they hosted or had a 2700 match,

thanks to this site, I have found another club that does have a match on the first day of the month that is local to me,

otherwise, it seems to be drying up, which I hope is not accurate, esp in this area
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 am

lyman1903 wrote:otherwise, it seems to be drying up, which I hope is not accurate, esp in this area
Oh the flak and condescension I got saying that in my thread complaining about the difficulty of finding competitions.

When there's a large and vocal grassroots, communication happens naturally. When the grassroots shrinks or otherwise calcifies, natural and effortless communication dries up.

Communication is the lifeblood of any organisation and communication is the only thing that drives growth.

Clubs and the various organisations need to be encouraged to share news and information and build a communication network so that when someone is remotely interested in a related topic they're more likely to stumble across the information and be lead (like you were) to the clubs and competitions that might interest them.

You are a firearms dealer, and know of Bullseye/Precision Pistol through that and estate sales. That led you to search and find this site. I stumbled into a precision oriented target club before going down the rabbit hole of just buying a gun and going to shoot because I finally finished my safety courses and got my permits after years of thinking about it.

The challenge IMO, is to get communication and news out into the wider world of firearms enthusiasts and related activities so that more people have more ways of stumbling across the discipline and the people running events.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:
lyman1903 wrote:otherwise, it seems to be drying up, which I hope is not accurate, esp in this area
Oh the flak and condescension I got saying that in my thread complaining about the difficulty of finding competitions.

When there's a large and vocal grassroots, communication happens naturally. When the grassroots shrinks or otherwise calcifies, natural and effortless communication dries up.

Communication is the lifeblood of any organisation and communication is the only thing that drives growth.

Clubs and the various organisations need to be encouraged to share news and information and build a communication network so that when someone is remotely interested in a related topic they're more likely to stumble across the information and be lead (like you were) to the clubs and competitions that might interest them.

You are a firearms dealer, and know of Bullseye/Precision Pistol through that and estate sales. That led you to search and find this site. I stumbled into a precision oriented target club before going down the rabbit hole of just buying a gun and going to shoot because I finally finished my safety courses and got my permits after years of thinking about it.

The challenge IMO, is to get communication and news out into the wider world of firearms enthusiasts and related activities so that more people have more ways of stumbling across the discipline and the people running events.

sadly it appears to be somewhat true, re the drying  up part,

same with Service Rifle,  local matches are well attended, and we (Va) have a good state team, but there is no overflow, or backup,
it is basically holding its own with very very little growth,

but then again, lots of folks like the action stuff, and standing in one spot with either a rifle , or one hand in pocket and a pistol in the other, is not really considered and 'action'
lyman1903
lyman1903

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:

sadly it appears to be somewhat true, re the drying  up part,

same with Service Rifle,  local matches are well attended, and we (Va) have a good state team, but there is no overflow, or backup,
it is basically holding its own with very very little growth,

but then again, lots of folks like the action stuff, and standing in one spot with either a rifle , or one hand in pocket and a pistol in the other, is not really considered and 'action' sport (like 3 gun for example

by the way,  I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams,  you have a great user name
lyman1903
lyman1903

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm

lyman1903 wrote:

but then again, lots of folks like the action stuff, and standing in one spot with either a rifle , or one hand in pocket and a pistol in the other, is not really considered and 'action' sport (like 3 gun for example

by the way,  I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams,  you have a great user name
People like the Action stuff because that has the buzz and word of mouth and official communication.
Getting Precision Pistol and Service Pistol matches onto Practiscore would give visibility to precision and service pistol and might attract new competitors. 
Helping clubs without precision shooting programs set up websites and including news content on precision as well as everything else would also give visibility.

Been a big Douglas Adams fan forever. Once long ago I made a mistake with the name and kept it as-is on any site I can. (In the HHGTTG books it's Slartibartfast)
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:
People like the Action stuff because that has the buzz and word of mouth and official communication.
Getting Precision Pistol and Service Pistol matches onto Practiscore would give visibility to precision and service pistol and might attract new competitors)

The action games have had a LOT of outside help in the form of write ups in all the gun rags for years. Everyone knows who Rob Leatham or Jerry Miculek is but have never heard of Brian Zins.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Wobbley wrote:

The action games have had a LOT of outside help in the form of write ups in all the gun rags for years.  Everyone knows who Rob Leatham or Jerry Miculek is but have never heard of Brian Zins.  
Sex and action sells. Precision Pistol lacks both. :p
Means that the precision sports need to work a little harder for exposure and communication.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkOue Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:20 pm

I returned to Bullseye three years ago that had morphed into Precision Pistol.  Okay, it was the same as I shot Bullseye 30 years ago.   What I found upon return were a great bunch of guys and a few gals most of whom are over 40.  You all know where this is going, don’t you?  Yup, not so many of the bullseye gang are into social media, You Tube, and spending lots of time on websites.  What the heck is Twitter anyway? 

Secondly, it’s February and a lot of clubs haven’t decided when their matches will be this year.  Those Precision Rifle guys were scheduled for next summer before Thanksgiving.  I’ll bet the action pistol matches are also locked in for 2018. 

Third, where can I find a comprehensive list of precision pistol matches within a hundred miles of me?  Oh, there are a few sites and publications that have some but without clubs scheduling early most of us can’t plan our match participation until just prior to the events. 

We are hurting our sport by not coordinating between clubs to stagger match dates and scheduling those matches early enough to get the word out. 

Finally, we don’t have Jessie Harrison moving swiftly across a course of fire.

Periodicals Jessie10

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Post by Aufidius Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:26 pm

There is Handloader magazine, about the only one left with anything remotely to do with pistol reloading.

If you search Google, you should be able to find it. Put out by Wolfe Publishing.
Aufidius
Aufidius

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Aufidius wrote:There is Handloader magazine, about the only one left with anything remotely to do with pistol reloading.
 I picked up a copy in Books A Million last week and looked at their .45 ACP article.    It got me all excited about the results they got with a particular bullet, I hadn't seen.

Turns out Bull-X bullets haven't been made since 2003, so I don't think it is a very useful magazine lol!

As to the original premise of BE being the shuffleboard (or perhaps lawn bowling) of the shooting sports, in some ways it also has one of the longest histories in the shooting sports.   As long as the military branches field pistol teams, bullseye is not dead ...   yet.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:27 pm

MarkOue wrote:...
Seems you and I agree completely.

My provincial IDPA has matches scheduled for the whole year. NOTHING listed for precision shooting anywhere I can find.

The IDPA guys have rallied around their provincial organisation and internationally around Practiscore. But they shun the Provincial shooting federation.

I'm over 40 and I'm on social media all the time. Lots of old guys on here.

Need to direct the effort and make cooperation easier. Most importantly, stop developping what others have already done. NSSF and NRA have field listings, the NRA has a match database, Practiscore has a match database.

I offered ideas to the developer of PistolMatches.com and went into great detail in threads about PistolMatches.com

Have been bothering a IT/programmer friend about developing a Marksmanship Program App, scoresheet, and postal match app.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum