Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel to NJ and NY for competitions

+2
Ed Hall
Skeet6
6 posters

Go down

Travel to NJ and NY for competitions Empty Travel to NJ and NY for competitions

Post by Skeet6 1/31/2018, 9:00 pm

Reading a recent thread about finding matches, I wanted to ask as a new Bullseye competitor (old Highpower competitor, though...)

Regarding NYS matches... How does it work these days regarding bringing pistols from out of state to NY? Has the SAFE act hosed it up as badly as it did Highpower? Also curious about attending matches in NJ with the current climate... (from PA)

As in years past (NY preSafe) does one print the match bulletin? I suppose overnight travel is a no-no?
Thanks all.
Mike B

Skeet6

Back to top Go down

Travel to NJ and NY for competitions Empty Re: Travel to NJ and NY for competitions

Post by Ed Hall 1/31/2018, 10:29 pm

The (un)SAFE Act didn't really change the laws for the non-resident traveling into NY for matches.  The links from my page (referenced in the other thread) are current and offer a 48 hour window on either side of a match for match competitors.  You do need to read the appropriate sections for yourself, though.  Don't merely take my word for any of it:

Some Information about New York State Firearms Laws

Of note,  I mentioned an important point earlier, in that only NRA and IHMSA sanctioned events are referenced.  Local events that aren't at least NRA Approved or IHMSA sanctioned would not cover an out of state competitor, although I have heard that NRA will sanction other disciplines.  And, have heard of even IDPA being sanctioned by NRA for that purpose.  Personally, I would not chance a match that doesn't somehow show that it is sanctioned.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Travel to NJ and NY for competitions Empty Re: Travel to NJ and NY for competitions

Post by desben 2/1/2018, 11:21 am

Ed, are you aware of any restrictions on bringing a target target pistol such as a Pardini to NY ? It seems that it would meet the definition of an "assault weapon" under 265.00.22.c since it has a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip and (i) and a barrel shroud (iii).
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 2/1/2018, 1:11 pm

I regularly travel to NJ matches from PA. My usual routine:

1. No carry pistol - duh...
2. Bullseye Pistols and unloaded mags in the locked pistol box in the back of my SUV
3. Ammo in a separate locked container (ammo can) in the back of my SUV
4. Printed match bulletin and printed email confirming my attendance of the match within easy reach.
5. No stops between home and the range (even for gas/toilet/snacks) - as far as I know, NJ law allows you to transport firearms when you go straight from your home to the range / place of competition and then return straight back home.

This worked for me so far...
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Zepp 2/1/2018, 2:45 pm

Just want to add.  NJ just got a new governor (Phil Murphy).  Liberal democrat.  Anti-gun.  Legislature now ruled by democrats.  Please stay current on NJ gun laws.  Changes expected.

Zepp

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 2/1/2018, 8:12 pm

Oleg G wrote:I regularly travel to NJ matches from PA. My usual routine:

1. No carry pistol - duh...
2. Bullseye Pistols and unloaded mags in the locked pistol box in the back of my SUV
3. Ammo in a separate locked container (ammo can) in the back of my SUV
4. Printed match bulletin and printed email confirming my attendance of the match within easy reach.
5. No stops between home and the range (even for gas/toilet/snacks) - as far as I know, NJ law allows you to transport firearms when you go straight from your home to the range / place of competition and then return straight back home.

This worked for me so far...
That's pretty rough. I thought it was bad going to Illinois, but I can even take the carry gun now.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 2/2/2018, 1:02 pm

desben wrote:Ed, are you aware of any restrictions on bringing a target target pistol such as a Pardini to NY ? It seems that it would meet the definition of an "assault weapon" under 265.00.22.c since it has a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip and (i) and a barrel shroud (iii).
That is a very valid question for which i don't have a verifiable answer.  My thinking is that its purpose was only to find a way to force registration and prohibit future sales for residents, but I would not have any idea for match attendees.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Skeet6 2/3/2018, 2:06 pm

Ed Hall wrote:
desben wrote:Ed, are you aware of any restrictions on bringing a target target pistol such as a Pardini to NY ? It seems that it would meet the definition of an "assault weapon" under 265.00.22.c since it has a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip and (i) and a barrel shroud (iii).
That is a very valid question for which i don't have a verifiable answer.  My thinking is that its purpose was only to find a way to force registration and prohibit future sales for residents, but I would not have any idea for match attendees.
According to NYSP it's a no-go on bringing any "assault weapon" to NY post-SAFE. I have no idea about a Pardini, but I have engaged NYSP on the question, as I wanted to continue shooting hp matches at Camp Smith and Forbes, but was told that no, there is no consideration made for them like there used to be in the old NY AWB. I built a chassis-based rem 700 Elesio tube gun to shoot at Smith. I further asked about "borrowing" a lower that is duly registered in NY from a friend, and the answer was also a resounding "NO" as it would be a temporary transfer or some nonsense.

Mike B

Skeet6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down