Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

+13
Chris Miceli
jglenn21
Sc0
KBarth
Shoffman4
james r chapman
Oleg G
mspingeld
Anatoly
freedomtech
JimH
Multiracer
zanemoseley
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller Empty Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

Post by zanemoseley Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 pm

I got an exciting email today from Fenton at Freedom Technologies. He has had a more full featured turning target system for some time but it was a bit more expensive than I was looking for to practice and sort of targeted to running a whole line.

His new system (Personal Turning Target Controller) is battery powered and uses your cell phone Wi-fi to communicate with the controller.

The new system does not have audible commands but has a preset delay, currently set at 6 seconds after you hit the button to select the desired cycle, check out his YouTube videos. I mentioned to him that the 6 seconds seemed a bit quick, he offered to have it set to something else, I'm leaning toward about 12 seconds which is approximately when "ready on the right" command is given then have it edge away from you at 3 seconds which is the approximate of the "the line is ready" command. I'm still waiting to hear from him to see how easily these times can be manipulated if at all by the end user. He seems very eager to get input from shooters. I may see if he will create an account so he can discuss the system openly with the forum.

I've asked to buy one of the first production units, he's currently waiting on the batteries.

Here is the product page including links to his videos showing the function.

http://freedomtech.duckdns.org/index_files/pttc.htm

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller Empty Re: Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

Post by Multiracer Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm

There are currently Bullseye voice commands out there as an app. I wonder if he could interface those voice commands to the target ?

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller Empty Re: Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

Post by zanemoseley Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeah I use the Bullseye Timer app on an Android phone. I mentioned that to him. If they could mesh the 2 together this controller would be gold.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by JimH Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 am

Our club purchased a target turning system for our range, 6 position, 5 years ago from Freedom Technologies.  Works great no issues what so ever.  While I have not used this new personal target turning system, I'm sure it is a solid system at a great price.
JH

JimH

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 am

I've emailed Fenton back and forth a few times now. Currently the total delay time (6 seconds in his video) and the edge delay time before the round (2-3 seconds in the video) is set by him when he makes them. Its not currently user adjustable, you would have to send it to him. I mentioned it might be nice if you could set those delays using the web based page you use to start the rounds but sounds like that won't be happening at this time. 

I've decided on a total delay of 12 seconds after you select a round and a 3 second edge delay right before the round starts. This mimics the timing of the "ready on the right" and "ready on the firing line" command in my bullseye app. If I regret the timing decisions I guess I can pay shipping both ways to have him adjust. 

He's currently trying to keep it simple to keep costs down. Maybe once this model gets proven he can work toward a slightly more full featured model that would interface with an app similar to the bullseye timer. I think it would be worth double its current price if it had this feature, then I could use my bluetooth worktunes headphones to get voice command, all wire free.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by freedomtech Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 am

Thought I would take a minute to explain the history behind the PTTC so it maybe makes a little more sense, but first I want to thank Zane for starting this discussion and everyone else for taking the time to visit our site.

When we started the round controller 2 project the goal was to create a portable controller so anyone could set it up and practice anywhere with all the features a range based system and we just kept packing more and more features into the system. It then became the round controller 3 but by that point all the features had driven the price out of reach for personal use and setting it up and tearing it down also became pretty time consuming. We ended up with a fantastic range based system, but missed the mark with respect to portable and personal.

The goal with the PTTC was fix that mistake and put one of these in everybody's gun case. I think we have achieved that goal.

We have spent some time working on audio but we're just not there yet and please don't take that as a promise we will be soon because I don't think this microprocessor has the bandwidth or processing power to provide for it.

Thanks again everyone

freedomtech

Back to top Go down

Post by Anatoly Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 am

Hi,

I had plans to enhance my apps (for bullseye and international pistol) allowing them to control target turners and target lights for quite a while... I made some hardware prototypes that I play with, but did not have time to complete something that would be universally usable by everyone.

Thanks to Zane, in this thread I've learned about PTTC.

Fenton already reached out to me directly. Based on the info I received from Fenton so far, it should be possible to create an updated version that would be able to trigger his controller. I will need a bit more info, but that should not be a problem.

I'll keep you posted.

-Anatoly

Anatoly

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=my.namespace.betimer

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 am

Wow, that's exciting. I love your app Anatoly and having it being able to control an affordable & portable turning target would be huge.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anatoly Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 am

Thank you Zane!

Just to set the expectations right... I work on my apps in my spare time (and have not changed them for a while) - please, don't expect a new version to be available in Google Play store right away Wink 

-Anatoly

Anatoly

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 am

Anatoly, Only Android? No iPhone?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am

I'm a patient guy. Just knowing its coming is exciting. Android all the way!!

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 am

For what it's worth, I'm already using Anatoly's app (Bullseye Timer - Android only) as a pseudo turning target. Measuring the size of the on-screen bullseye on my phone (old Galaxy Note II), I came up with distance of about 23 feet that simulates a B-8 repair center size at 25 yards. Works great for dry-firing one-shot and two-shot drills!
Of course, having the app control the real turning target will be a huge improvement!

Many thanks to Anatoly for his great development work, which helps our community. One suggestion for the app development is an option to turn off the buzzer when operating Fenton's controller in the future.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:12 am

I just checked on Google play and no updated app yet!
(Snicker)

Lol

Just kidding
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoffman4 Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:16 am

There is a iphone app called "Bullseye Range Commands" that would be another good place to start, unfortunately its last update was 3 years ago.  Hopefully the author of this app still is checking his email......

sjh

Shoffman4

Back to top Go down

Post by Anatoly Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am

Check the Google Play Store Wink

What is new in version 1.5:
- Support interactions with physical target turners (PTTC by Freedom Technologies) - can control actual targets!!!
- Usability improvements
- New permission to use Internet needed only to interact with target turners.

For those of you who already got a PTTC:
- do the usual "connection magic" (as if you were going to control the target turner from your phone's web browser)
- start the Bullseye Timer app and go into app's "settings" menu and select "controller" option...
- enjoy Smile

The "controller" mode is not persistent - each time you restart the app, you need to select it from the menu (only if you want to control physical target). Default mode is "local" (app does not try to talk to any external devices).

The "controller" mode does two things:
- each target turn on the screen results in corresponding turn of the physical target
- the target image acts as "face/edge" control button for physical target (works only when course of fire string is not running)

Do not try to use the app while PTTC is in the middle of its own string - as Fenton confirmed, in this mode the turner won't listen to the app.

-Anatoly

Anatoly

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am

AWESOME, you guys are killing it.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Wow!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Amazing!!! I'l be ordering the controller
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 am

https://youtu.be/KdwTh8fwMfk
Here it is in action with the App
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:43 am

Nice, this is gonna be huge for bullseye shooters.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 am

Let ya know!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Got it!
Works fine with the new app.
Going to use it for dry fire with a 21 ft target.
Attachments
Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller Attachment
IMG_20180214_162751.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(142 Kb) Downloaded 19 times
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 pm

What is the weight capacity of the target holder?

In at outdoor setting with a cardboard Target backer swaying in the wind?

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I would only use it indoors with an indoor size target.
Probably outdoors with repair center if your good.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm planning on using a repair center only.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next