Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolver load

4 posters

Go down

Revolver load Empty Revolver load

Post by Paper-Puncher 6/20/2012, 1:34 am

whats the preferred method for a HBWC in a wheel gun.......flush with the case month and light roll crimp or leave alittle out of the case and a tapered crimp.......I know the 52 guys go flush but waht about the wheel gunners?? I have some 158 gr LSWC's loaded at 1.475 and 3.2 BE I will shoot tommorow ...and have some 148gr HBWC comeing from Magnus...that I hope to load and shoot this weekend.....loaded at 2.8BE

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Revolver load Empty Re: Revolver load

Post by ChuckS1 6/20/2012, 6:08 am

I use just enough crimp to remove the flare at the case mouth and seat flush.
ChuckS1
ChuckS1

Back to top Go down

Revolver load Empty ...Another bullet choice..

Post by tonyg 7/20/2012, 3:30 pm

Paper-Puncher wrote:whats the preferred method for a HBWC in a wheel gun.......flush with the case month and light roll crimp or leave alittle out of the case and a tapered crimp.......I know the 52 guys go flush but waht about the wheel gunners?? I have some 158 gr LSWC's loaded at 1.475 and 3.2 BE I will shoot tommorow ...and have some 148gr HBWC comeing from Magnus...that I hope to load and shoot this weekend.....loaded at 2.8BE

Hi Paper, Have you considered a different bullet design for your revolver?

The H&G #50 wadcutter was once very popular and was used by the top

revolver shooters in it's time. My Dad used it and HBWC in his Colt Trooper

for Center fire strings. This was the bullet used for 25 and 50yd loads with

the standard 2.7gr Bullseye charge. See it here: http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/50_2.jpg

The bullet is still available from many sources, I got 500 from Dardas.

Tony

tonyg

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/21/2012, 7:54 am

The factory match .38 SPL 148 gr. hbwc always seemed to shoot extremely well out of revolvers, as well as, autos (model 52 included). They were seated flush with the mouth of the case. That being said, different guns could like something different, but I'd make sure before I wasted a lot of time on experimentation. You don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 7/23/2012, 4:44 pm

Mike , Nope I aint gonna reinvent the wheel....Ive been useing 148gr HBWC's with 2.7 WST shots great from the hand as long as I get it right...About the only thing I'm concerned with now is my cylinder throats could be alittle tight...So next range trip I will try some .357 HBWC's from Magnus and not shoot anything else...and compare the accuracy and leading to the Hornady HBWC (.358) bullet I have been using......I as well did get some nice 25yd groups with remington factory of 1'' ar a ted less.....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 7/23/2012, 6:04 pm

tonyg,

I have try'd some DEWC's and found them to be hard , which increased the leading at the forceing cone....I think I may be best served staying with a HBWC design and stay away from cast ....My bore dia. appears to be .357 and my cylinder throats are .357 - .3575. So a soft HBWC should be the best for this gun.....Ive been useing a .358 bullet but next session I will try some .357 bullets and see what I end up with. I may need to have the cylinder throats opened but as long as I can find a good performing bullet load combo I would rather not mess with that.....The bullet you suggested would be along the same lines of the DEWC's I tryed and not only did it lead the barrel but the cylinders as well ...while the HBWC's just leave a little bit of lead just at the forceing cone....and I have had some nice lookin slow fire target with them so ......I'll just stay with them.

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down