Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W model 17

+6
orpheoet
243winxb
Bullseye_Stan
BE Mike
John McCormick
Flytrap1
10 posters

Go down

S&W model 17 Empty S&W model 17

Post by Flytrap1 Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 am

I'm interested in getting a new model 17. Yes I would love to have an original pre 17 k-22 but I don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with gun broker I would rather just go to my local dealer and buy a new model off the shelf. It's still a smith, it's made on modern machinery using modern methods and materials and it still has that beautiful classic look. So how bad can it be? That's my question should I go modern or original ?

Flytrap1

Back to top Go down

S&W model 17 Empty Re: S&W model 17

Post by John McCormick Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:39 am

If you don't mind the safety lock just above the cylinder release latch and the altered profile of the frame, as compared to the pre-lock models, I don't see how it could be a bad choice. Most collectors ignore the new ones; many shooters overlook the safety lock an just, well, shoot.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:42 am

Since you like the looks of the new ones, I'd say get the new one. Did anybody say that in general, the new ones were bad? The street prices for each is pretty close, when comparing the older ones in extremely good condition. If you'd rather buy a used one and not deal with Gunbroker, there are used ones that regularly show up for sale on the S&W Forum. There is at least one there now.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

For any S&W K22 Model 17 (new or old), an inspection is needed.  If you don't know what to look for, then some education is also needed.  A factory fresh S&W out-of-the-box might be less than perfect.  The odds are better with a S&W than other brands, IMO, but there is a tolerance stack that occurs in modern manufacturing that can lead to some revolvers having more cylinder end shake, barrel to cylinder gap, or cylinder/bolt lock play. 

Getting an older model is no guarantee.  I have an older K22, which is a nice revolver, is accurate, but after 50 rounds the cylinders need a thorough scrubbing as the cylinder chamber is tight (minimum tolerance).  I don't shoot it much, and haven't looked into reaming the chambers or asking S&W if they would since I can live with the tighter cylinders.  I don't mean to single-out S&W, as all manufacturers have a tolerance stack-up, but some seem less concerned than others about the final product they sell.  I've had no problems inspecting a K22 at gun shows.  Good luck!

p.s. if you fall in love with a specific K22, there are gunsmiths who can fix most problems.

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by 243winxb Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:11 am

I wonder about the trigger pull weight? Old vs New.   I know my old one is light. Great trigger in single action. Double not bad. 

Did have to have the cylinder face adjusted when new. Two chambers had a high spot that would drag on the barrel face when dirty.
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:52 am

My understanding is that the newer MIM internals are less durable as far as polishing/trigger work. I have a 17-3 that I picked up at a gun show that has proven to be very accurate with an already decent trigger. The chambers are tight!
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 pm

I am biased towards the older ones, I have a 17-4 but it needed a trigger and action job to make it really nice.  I don't think you can go wrong buying a good condition older one or a newer one either.  You might have to have the action and trigger tuned either way.  Good luck and let us know what you buy and how it shoots.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 pm

S&W model 17 Model_10
I just picked up this about a month ago.  K-22 17-2 from 1965 off of Gunbroker for $1100.  Not unfired but as new in box.  Double action was 12.25 pounds.  Had an action job done with a new .310" smooth trigger and now it's 7 pounds.  Havent shot it outdoors yet but am having a ball with it indoors at 50'
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Bought it a bazillion years ago. 17 no dash. Will lift 2.5 lbs and won't lift 2.7. No idea what it would take to do double action. You have to love the old ones.

S&W model 17 20180311
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 am

Tight chambers are quite common with the old 17's. Polishing the chambers will pretty much eliminate the problem, but a little polishing goes a long way. I've seen good older guns go for $650.00 and up. Certain areas of the country seem to have higher asking prices than others.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:43 am

BE Mike wrote:Tight chambers are quite common with the old 17's. Polishing the chambers will pretty much eliminate the problem, but a little polishing goes a long way. I've seen good older guns go for $650.00 and up. Certain areas of the country seem to have higher asking prices than others.
the interwebs have kinda sorta leveled the pricing out, 
however the demand and sometimes price is regional ,

also on 17's, like any other vintage Smith,  date and condition come into play,

a nice (85% or better) vintage, prewar  etc etc will bring more,  sometimes much more
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down