Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What am I doing wrong?

+6
tonyg
DavidR
davekp
Rob Kovach
Steve B
ddivins
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What am I doing wrong? - Page 2 Empty What am I doing wrong?

Post by ddivins 6/24/2012, 5:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

All,

I just bought a ReplayXD1080 (POV Action Cam) and attached it to my hearing protection and headed to the range.

I set it for 720 @ 60fps and then uploaded to YouTube. Quality dropped a bit, but if I find some good constructive criticism, I will pony up for a paid vimeo account.

This is an unedited or processed video. I know I was shooting mixed pace on a timed fire target, I was really testing the camera et all. This is video 1 of 3 I made today.

I invite you all to be merciless on me. Also, thoughts on the idea or suggestions...

ddivins

Back to top Go down

What am I doing wrong? - Page 2 Empty Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by DavidR 7/16/2012, 12:50 pm

Since some of this discussion dealt with subject cross firing, i thought this post from the bullseye -list email group by a fellow shooter who just returned from perry was interesting.

Every year at Camp Perry
there seems to be a few recurring themes, people or events. This year
the themes for my Camp Perry adventure was near perfect weather,
non-existent internet and cross-firing.

I experienced almost as much cross firing this year
as all the rest of my 10 years of competitive shooting. Three times
people shot on my target and I put 5 very nice shots on my neighbor in
the first string of 22 Timed Fire (probably 3 X's and 2 10's but the
close 9 could have been mine). I let myself get rushed after moving to
the 25 yard line and didn't verify my target. I should have said not
ready and stepped back from the bench.

Now, back to the real world. Only 51 weeks until Camp Perry!
Steve Turner
Illinois
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 7/30/2012, 8:08 pm

I got a couple things for you to consider...

First off, in the league I shoot in, we do not allow the muzzles to point up while getting ready to shoot. If you do point the gun up in the air, you will be asked politely to keep the muzzle down below the targets please. Do it again and you will be politely asked to leave. We have enough holes in the roof thank you!

Secondly, When you raise your gun up to aquire the target, your arm looks like a wet noodle. first you raise your bicep, then you lock your elbow, then you lower your forearm, and then you lock your wrist at the last moment before pulling the trigger. I do not see any stability in your shooting arm by getting it in position this way. Why don't you give this a try, with the gun on the table, lock your elbow and your wrist in the shooting position and then rotate your shoulder to bring your gun up to shooting position. by getting your arm locked in place with the gun pointing down, then raising it by rotating the shoulder, I think you will find a more stable shooting platform from what I can see in the videos.

Last thing, if you ever find yourself over here in michigan, give me a shout. We got a spot on the line for ya!

Regards,

Cranky
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr 8/2/2012, 12:07 pm

CrankyThunder wrote:Secondly, When you raise your gun up to aquire the target, your arm looks like a wet noodle. first you raise your bicep, then you lock your elbow, then you lower your forearm, and then you lock your wrist at the last moment before pulling the trigger. I do not see any stability in your shooting arm by getting it in position this way. Why don't you give this a try, with the gun on the table, lock your elbow and your wrist in the shooting position and then rotate your shoulder to bring your gun up to shooting position. by getting your arm locked in place with the gun pointing down, then raising it by rotating the shoulder, I think you will find a more stable shooting platform from what I can see in the videos.

I second this. ddivkins, I don't know if we covered this when we met a few weeks ago, but I believe I do what Cranky suggests when I bring the gun up on-target -- the elbow and wrist are fully extended and (more or less) locked in their shooting positions while the gun is on the table, and then the whole platform is brought up to the target (or maybe slightly above the target, and then settled down) before starting my mental firing sequence.

When I return the gun to the table, I'll relax my whole arm, wrist, and grip, but I won't really move them out of the shooting position if I can help it - just relaxed enough to let blood flow freely.

-Kent
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2