Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marking trigger finger?

4 posters

Go down

Marking trigger finger? Empty Marking trigger finger?

Post by Mike38 Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 pm

For the past 2-3 weeks I have been concentrating on grip and trigger finger placement. I'm pretty happy with the grip. It pained me to rasp a $250 set of grips and add wood putty on other parts of the grip, but I guess that's part of it all. Looks bad, but feels good. I can close my eyes, bring pistol up to shooting position, and the sights are spot on and aligned. Now comes trigger finger placement. Here's what I've been doing. Set up at the range for training, just like I would during the 3 minute preparation period at a match. Dry fire about 7-10 times, to make certain of finger placement, no "too little" finger, no "too much" finger. When satisfied, I then press the trigger a little harder, and for around 10 seconds to leave the imprint of the trigger in my finger. Then I draw a line on the pad of my finger with an ink pen to mark where the edge of the trigger rested. Put the gun down, then regrasp. Visually making certain my trigger finger returns to the same spot as was proven by the dry firing. So, two questions. First, will this be helpful until finger placement becomes natural? Second, is this legal? Thanks in advance for replies.

Edit: I should have included, both my .22 and CF pistols are the same, Benelli MP95, so finger placement works for both. The 1911 is totally different, haven't really gone that far yet.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Marking trigger finger? Empty Re: Marking trigger finger?

Post by Olde Pilot Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Writing on yourself is perfectly legal!  Zins is said to write his target number on his hand at Perry.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:47 pm

I've found it helpful to mark my trigger finger in that manner, way back when, with both .22 and .45.  Yes, Brian Zins writes his target number on his hand where he can see it when he comes up on the matching target.  He is not the only one.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:21 am

A finger tattoo would work.

not for target number of course!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 am

james r chapman wrote:A finger tattoo would work.

not for target number of course!
If your finger sticks through far enough and you can read small printing, the target number might work.  But, if you try that method, it might be better to use a neighbor's target number so they line up.

On a more serious note, back to the OP, although I rarely mark my finger anymore, I do have references that I use pertaining to creases and visibility along the side of the gun(s) and the tip of my finger.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down