Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dream Gun Cabinet

+18
desben
ST BERNARD
inthebeech
blindshooter
mpolans
SmokinNJokin
dronning
lyman1903
LenV
john bickar
jmdavis
Bigtrout
Wobbley
james r chapman
jglenn21
Aprilian
Chris Miceli
Slartybartfast
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dream Gun Cabinet Empty Dream Gun Cabinet

Post by Slartybartfast 5/3/2018, 3:47 pm

Hypothetically speaking, say I'm asking for a friend...

If you came into a decent amount of money, and while logic certainly dictated that you should invest it and not wildly spend it, you decide that a sizeable amount should be spent buying some of the toys and extravagances that you might not have been able to afford before.

If you had $8-10k to spend on an assortment of shooting sports related equipment, and all you currently had were a basic and an old model pistol what would you buy?

No interest in hunting, primarily interested in precision and ISSF disciplines, but interested in exploring other disciplines.

Wasn't impressed by club store. Asked about a precision 9mm and was presented a Ruger 1911 and told it's pricey. Asked my budget I said anything up to 2 or 2.5k if it's worth it. Sales guy responded "For a 9mm?". Didn't know what to say. They've had top price CZs and Sig X5 that was more than $3k sold in their store recently.

So I had a look at the Ruger, was mildly surprised and the feel of the trigger, but decided I need to seek advice elsewhere.

Some toys that have been pondered:
Pistol - Something fun and precise in 9mm
Competition rimfire - Pardini? Walther SSP?
Revolver - maybe a .38?
O/U shotgun
Precision rimfire rifle
Pistol calibre caribine

Maybe, just go full lunatic. Blow the whole budget on the least number of guns possible. Buy a Matchguns MG2 and the new Feinwerkbau 2800.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Dream Gun Cabinet Empty Re: Dream Gun Cabinet

Post by Chris Miceli 5/3/2018, 4:01 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:Hypothetically speaking, say I'm asking for a friend...

If you came into a decent amount of money, and while logic certainly dictated that you should invest it and not wildly spend it, you decide that a sizeable amount should be spent buying some of the toys and extravagances that you might not have been able to afford before.

If you had $8-10k to spend on an assortment of shooting sports related equipment, and all you currently had were a basic and an old model pistol what would you buy?

No interest in hunting, primarily interested in precision and ISSF disciplines, but interested in exploring other disciplines.

Wasn't impressed by club store. Asked about a precision 9mm and was presented a Ruger 1911 and told it's pricey. Asked my budget I said anything up to 2 or 2.5k if it's worth it. Sales guy responded "For a 9mm?". Didn't know what to say. They've had top price CZs and Sig X5 that was more than $3k sold in their store recently.

So I had a look at the Ruger, was mildly surprised and the feel of the trigger, but decided I need to seek advice elsewhere.

Revolver - maybe a .38?
O/U shotgun
Precision rimfire rifle
Pistol calibre caribine

Maybe, just go full lunatic. Blow the whole budget on the least number of guns possible. Buy a Matchguns MG2 and the new Feinwerkbau 2800.
If you are into ISSF shooting, Air and rapid fire are the only olympic events. So get a morini or steyr PCP pistol and probably a pardini rimfire(they seem to pretty much own rapid and womens sport). Free pistol, centerfire, and standard pistol are issf sports but not olympic events. Couldn't go wrong with a Morini free pistol, a 32s&w semi auto or maybe a MR72 revolver, standard pistol could always use your rapid fire gun. 

As for a 9mm a bullseye worth smith will build you one that shoots sub inch all day long for ~4k or less. 

As for rifles...i don't associate with anyone that uses 2 hands to fire weapons.. so can't recommend anything for you.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/3/2018, 4:12 pm

Buy a couple for shooting quality and a few for looks - like snake revolvers.  Use the rest for range time and competitions.

Try this.  Buy two similar quality match guns first like the Pardini and Walther you mentioned.  Sell the one you like least and buy a Hammerli, sell the one you like less.  Rinse and repeat.  When satisfied that you have your favorite match .22,  keep that one and move on to the next category/caliber.   It will keep you entertained for years!
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 5/3/2018, 4:15 pm

O/U = Beretta  all day,  every day

If you have an interest in High power then a David Sams AR or maybe a M1A1 NM from Springfield and then have it re-done.

Nothing like owning a M1 Garand just for fun..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/3/2018, 4:41 pm

jglenn21 wrote:O/U = Beretta  all day,  every day

If you have an interest in High power then a David Sams AR or maybe a M1A1 NM from Springfield and then have it re-done.

Nothing like owning a M1 Garand just for fun..

Pffft...

Perazzi!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 5/3/2018, 5:06 pm

"Perazzi!!"

well now we're getting ridiculous lol!
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/3/2018, 7:20 pm

Range officer, 9mm setup by K.C or other Precision Bullseye smiths

I'd take a chance on a Nelson/Advantage Arms/Marvel conversion for your Range officer.

Revolver - maybe a .38?
Nah, a pre-lock, S&W Model 25-2, .45 acp.
Lifes too short to not have one.

O/U shotgun
I like Perazzi's, Beretta's are great also. So many nice new ones out there to choose from now, maybe you like classics, then nothing beats a 1960's Browning Superposed Broadway Trap.

Precision rimfire rifle
Ooooh, I like that new Ruger Precision Rifle in .22 L.R

Pistol calibre caribine
Ruger PC carbine.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/3/2018, 8:00 pm

If I had all the money and such also considering that you live in Canada:

A Pardini or Feinwerkbau 22 Standard Pistol.

A 1911 in either 9mm or 38 Super properly setup for Olympic Centerfire.  A fitted 45 top end would be nice.

A Perazzi trap gun.

A Anschutz 22 Match Rifle in either “free” or “standard” configuration.

A custom centerfire bolt action Rifle in 6 mm Creedmoor  set up in either PRS or for F class shooting.

I’ve no recommendations for a pistol carbine?

For a revolver, Python if you can find one otherwise a 6 inch 686
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 5/4/2018, 6:25 am

Salyer-built RO9 & .45.  NRA excellent Model 19 & Model 10.   Henry lever .308 carbine.  Bianchi o/u 12 ga.  NRA excellent Mannlicher-Schnauer in 7mm.  Plus my old 1960 Austin Healy bugeye Sprite in the garage with a Jag XK 120.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 5/4/2018, 9:27 am

Pardini SP or SP Rapid

Hammerli or Morini Free Pistol

Pardini .32 S&W Centerfire if I didn't expect to ever shoot in Europe I would consider a Custom 9mm for CF

Steyr LP-10

But if I was in the States and interested in earning a Distinguished Badge I would choose

A Sams or KC 1911 Frame for a Conversion
test accuracy and reline or rebarrel if necessary

A Sams or KC custom 1911 in .45

I have or have shot

High Standard Victor- (great gun) I will use it for 22 etc this year
Pardini SP - My best and some of my worst below average scores have come from this gun
Beretta MP90/95- MP95 with an MP90 trigger group and Ortho grip. I have shot this gun for some of my best scores. Parts availability can be sticky at times. 
SA RO 1911 Frame with Marvel Conversion: Most consistent performance for me, reliable with readily available parts and sub 1" accuracy at 50 yards with the right ammo. 

Testing a Beretta MP95 in 32 S&W with a Dave Wilson Barrel. I like this gun better than the Beretta 22, which can be a good gun. But 32 does nothing to prepare me for the 45 match at the end of 2700 or an EIC match. Fun to shoot. 

Curtis 1911 Wadgun- Excellent gun that has allowed me to really improve with the 45 and learn to master recoil better. Bought from a friend who bought it when he earned his Distinguished Pistol Badge in the days of Hardball and Iron men. 

Colt 1911 Series 70- customized by unknown. The same friend above bought this pistol at a gun show in the early 90s because it was well built and tight. Two shooters have earned Distinguished badges with it. I hope to be the 3rd.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 5/4/2018, 9:29 am

I think you should adopt a stranger from the Internet.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 5/4/2018, 9:32 am

john bickar wrote:I think you should adopt a stranger from the Internet.

Will he help me customize my pardini grip?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/4/2018, 11:45 pm

I think it could be a life long pursuit. Just never sell a gun after you purchase (unless you bought an Erma) and just keep filling the safe(s) full. Recipe for a long happy life...or short marriage to the wrong person. Very Happy
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 5/5/2018, 7:52 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
Slartybartfast wrote:Hypothetically speaking, say I'm asking for a friend...

Revolver - maybe a .38?
O/U shotgun
Precision rimfire rifle
Pistol calibre caribine

If you are into ISSF shooting, Air and rapid fire are the only olympic events. So get a morini or steyr PCP pistol and probably a pardini rimfire(they seem to pretty much own rapid and womens sport). Free pistol, centerfire, and standard pistol are issf sports but not olympic events. Couldn't go wrong with a Morini free pistol, a 32s&w semi auto or maybe a MR72 revolver, standard pistol could always use your rapid fire gun. 

As for a 9mm a bullseye worth smith will build you one that shoots sub inch all day long for ~4k or less. 

As for rifles...i don't associate with anyone that uses 2 hands to fire weapons.. so can't recommend anything for you.
wow,,

harsh Sad
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 5/5/2018, 8:01 am

toys that have been pondered:Pistol - Something fun and precise in 9mm
Sig p210?  or have a 1911 modified for bullseye in that caliber?
not sure, I still have a 41, and a pile of high standards
Revolver - maybe a .38?
nice older tuned K38, or a 686 that has been worked over
O/U shotgun
 get what fits you or have one fitted to you, go Italian (Beretta, Rizzini, Gaurino or a host of others, and if you shoot a lot, get a tube set or another set of barrels
Precision rimfire rifle Anschutz,,
 Pistol calibre caribine not sure what is legal in Canada, but hard to beat an AR in 9mm for pistol caliber fun,
 Maybe, just go full lunatic. Blow the whole budget on the least number of guns possible. Buy a Matchguns MG2 and the new Feinwerkbau 2800.]
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 5/5/2018, 8:15 am

When I bought the last safe the salesman was giving me the pitch on a nice safe and my wife walks up and says "why don't you just buy the biggest one, you know you will need it" and walks away.  I love my wife, and it's time for another safe because there is no more room.

This is the only gun I want to add, I want a correct or collector grade, the one pictured below is a very nice service grade currently on auction at $4,500, I'm sure it will go for closer to $6K:
Dream Gun Cabinet M1dwin10
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/5/2018, 4:48 pm

Looking for a little something to carry and shoot .45 in style? I don't see an accuracy guarantee but should function.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765431011
Dream Gun Cabinet Pix374819814
F.Y.I.This was a joke. AT 6525.00 bid right now it is not even solid gold.

Last edited by LenV on 5/7/2018, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added insight.)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 5/5/2018, 6:29 pm

Buy a springfield armory XDM 5.25" in 9mm. You can use it for cmp, but for $600 it is an absolutely unbeatable modern polymer pistol. Carry, run and gun, steel, kill badguys with it in an apocalyptic war, whatever. Not NRA bullseye level accuracy, but very, very good compared to the other plastic guns.

Get a top of the line bullseye .22. They are worth every penny. I recommend a conversion with a purpose built lower, quality from a known smith; Hammerli 208/215, Feinwerkbau AW93, or a High standard 107. A lot of us have several of them. They hold value.

Precision rimfire - if you want an excellent .22 rifle for under $500 check out the CZ 452 line. NOT the newer 455. The ultra lux with 28" barrel is a dream especially if you remove the rear sight leaf and put a receiver peep on it. The factory irons and trigger are fantastic. I have 3x of them.

.38 revolver - there is a for sale post in Commercial Row were a gentleman from NY is selling some PPC revolvers. There are a couple left. PPC revolvers are just flat out bad ass, and as they are obsolete these days, you  will pay a hell of a lot less then they cost to build. .38 special wadcutter out of a slab sided revolver that weights 36 pounds is pretty fun to shoot. Also, those perfect clean holes punched in the paper.

If you are really serious about bullseye and that's the priority, the .45 is everything. I have put more ammo through the 1911 that Jon built me than every other gun I own, put together. And i have a shitload of guns. It sounds like your Curtis will get you there. Never hurts to have a backup though.

For a carry/show piece/fun 1911 I can't recommend Dan Wesson highly enough. The fit and finish is flawless, and I have never seen anything around that price range with the level of quality. I have carried a Valor for about 5 years, and while the barrel is not bullseye- fit it is still more accurate than I am with the night sights.

So there's some ideas on where to blow all that cash.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 5/5/2018, 8:25 pm

I'd buy used to maximize my budget:

Pardini SP Bullseye - $1800
Rock River Arms 1911 Bullseye - $2000
CZ AccuShadow2 - $1500
S&W Model 14 Target Masterpiece - $600
Perazzi MT-6 12 gauge with set of Briley Sidekicks - $2300+$500
Ruger 10/22 tricked out - $700
AR-15 w/9mm top end that takes Glock mags - $600

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 5/6/2018, 9:11 am

If I were in that situation I'd put some thought to feeding what I decided to buy for a long time.
I fear the political "dry" years that may come at any time.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 5/7/2018, 6:29 am

Grulla S x S, 12 bore.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 5/7/2018, 8:49 am

dronning wrote:When I bought the last safe the salesman was giving me the pitch on a nice safe and my wife walks up and says "why don't you just buy the biggest one, you know you will need it" and walks away.  I love my wife, and it's time for another safe because there is no more room.

Seeing as the law allows for a room to be converted for storage, I've been thinking that the furnace room (current home of the safe) has a pretty strong door and no windows.

Add a lock and rearrange the tools...

Also been looking at big rolling tool chests as an alternative to gun safes.

Currently, you won't find any of my firearms (as few as I have) in the safe. Dewalt makes a great collection of toolboxes that lock and have an available wall rack.

Lots of great suggestions so far. Just, being in Canada the links to sales stateside aren't going to be of use. Sure they're a great source for those south of the 49th.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/7/2018, 2:27 pm

Kind of messy right now (always) but it does not take much space to secure everything. Steel bars, security system and safes. My wife won't buy me guns but she gets me a new safe every so often. I blame her if I have an empty safe I have to fill. Laughing Benches have room for lots of tools. Room is only 10x12.

Dream Gun Cabinet 20180512
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/7/2018, 2:59 pm

Len, Where is the shredder for the receipts of your gun purchases, so your wife can't find them?
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by ST BERNARD 5/7/2018, 4:50 pm

Been following this, and so far, no mention of a pre '64 model 70 Super Grade -- .270 or '06...El Paso K6 with post and crosshair. Or a Pigeon Grade model 12. Say a 16 gauge, 3 barrel set. A 20 gauge model 21? Not even a 52 sporter.
   These were the ones we all wished for.......never did care for the looks of Weatherbys. Even back then.
    Should have bought that Browning Medalist and T series High Power that time instead of the cam and set of pistons. It was a monumental decision for me in about '74 I think.  The cars are long gone, but EVERY single gun ever, is still with me.
                             All our best;
                                                     Bill

ST BERNARD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum