Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dream Gun Cabinet

+18
desben
ST BERNARD
inthebeech
blindshooter
mpolans
SmokinNJokin
dronning
lyman1903
LenV
john bickar
jmdavis
Bigtrout
Wobbley
james r chapman
jglenn21
Aprilian
Chris Miceli
Slartybartfast
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dream Gun Cabinet - Page 2 Empty Dream Gun Cabinet

Post by Slartybartfast Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hypothetically speaking, say I'm asking for a friend...

If you came into a decent amount of money, and while logic certainly dictated that you should invest it and not wildly spend it, you decide that a sizeable amount should be spent buying some of the toys and extravagances that you might not have been able to afford before.

If you had $8-10k to spend on an assortment of shooting sports related equipment, and all you currently had were a basic and an old model pistol what would you buy?

No interest in hunting, primarily interested in precision and ISSF disciplines, but interested in exploring other disciplines.

Wasn't impressed by club store. Asked about a precision 9mm and was presented a Ruger 1911 and told it's pricey. Asked my budget I said anything up to 2 or 2.5k if it's worth it. Sales guy responded "For a 9mm?". Didn't know what to say. They've had top price CZs and Sig X5 that was more than $3k sold in their store recently.

So I had a look at the Ruger, was mildly surprised and the feel of the trigger, but decided I need to seek advice elsewhere.

Some toys that have been pondered:
Pistol - Something fun and precise in 9mm
Competition rimfire - Pardini? Walther SSP?
Revolver - maybe a .38?
O/U shotgun
Precision rimfire rifle
Pistol calibre caribine

Maybe, just go full lunatic. Blow the whole budget on the least number of guns possible. Buy a Matchguns MG2 and the new Feinwerkbau 2800.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Dream Gun Cabinet - Page 2 Empty Re: Dream Gun Cabinet

Post by LenV Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm

Still looking for a super accurate 9mm? Don't forget the 952's.

Dream Gun Cabinet - Page 2 Dscf0320
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Tue May 08, 2018 3:20 am

Re:952.  You see a lot of 52 owners not able to find parts for their pistols. Isn't it the same for the 952? If you're going to shot a gun a lot, you're going to need parts: extractors, springs, firing pins, etc.

With the 1911, there will be parts for the next century it seems. What may be harder to find is competent bullseye gunsmiths.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul M. Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 am

ST BERNARD wrote:Been following this, and so far, no mention of a pre '64 model 70 Super Grade -- .270 or '06...El Paso K6 with post and crosshair. Or a Pigeon Grade model 12. Say a 16 gauge, 3 barrel set. A 20 gauge model 21? Not even a 52 sporter.
   These were the ones we all wished for.......never did care for the looks of Weatherbys. Even back then.
    Should have bought that Browning Medalist and T series High Power that time instead of the cam and set of pistons. It was a monumental decision for me in about '74 I think.  The cars are long gone, but EVERY single gun ever, is still with me.
                             All our best;
                                                     Bill
+1 on those Winchesters, I still need the Super Grade!
Paul M.
Paul M.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 am

Ah yes.  Good old Model 70s.  My other passion.  I have several.
I just found a 1947 made 270 with a stock unmolested except for a Winchester pad installed and not whole lot of wear.  Prewar tang too.  Selling point really was it has a Lyman Alaskan scope in a mount I have never seen before.  An Ed Bengert mount adjustable for windage. 

Don't ask me why.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am

If we’re talking rifles, I’ll take an Al Biesen Model 70 in 30-06.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul M. Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 am

Jack H wrote:Ah yes.  Good old Model 70s.  My other passion.  I have several.
I just found a 1947 made 270 with a stock unmolested except for a Winchester pad installed and not whole lot of wear.  Prewar tang too.  Selling point really was it has a Lyman Alaskan scope in a mount I have never seen before.  An Ed Bengert mount adjustable for windage. 

Don't ask me why.
Winchester sure isn't what it used to be.  I have two Model 12s' and a 21.
Paul M.
Paul M.

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed May 09, 2018 10:46 am

I only have one pre 64 (300 WinMag) but have several older Rugers. I like the old tang safeties. This one is a bull barreled 220 swift made in 1976. (1776-1976 com). I named it "AT&T" Very Happy You need to have at least one in your dream cabinet.

Dream Gun Cabinet - Page 2 08281510
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by ST BERNARD Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 pm

I figured you guys would chime in before long.....and I bet we all grew up in that era. OP was leaning more toward paper punches. Sorry I got carried away. If there is "one more" it will be a Super Grade Roberts.
   Len, my best buddies grandad had a pre '64 Stainless Varmint Swift when we were little guys. Big long target scope with the recoil spring and micrometer mounts (probably a Unertl or Lyman.)  He was THE rifleman of the river valley. We would plug our ears when he steadied that Swift against a fence post or the back of a hay rack---- and what I remember is how the tiny specs out in the field (crows) would explode at what seemed like the same instant the rifle barked. That rifle is still in the family I'm told but can't be bought at this time.  I'll keep trying to buy it none the less.
                              Thanks for the replies fellas -- all good stuff.
                                                                                              Bill

ST BERNARD

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Thu May 10, 2018 11:10 am

dronning wrote:This is the only gun I want to add, I want a correct or collector grade, the one pictured below is a very nice service grade currently on auction at $4,500, I'm sure it will go for closer to $6K:
Dream Gun Cabinet - Page 2 M1dwin10

Well I'm out 1 day left and it is already over $11,500!  I would have been in it up to $7,500  Sad!
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Thu May 10, 2018 10:41 pm

If I had $5000 to spend on a bullseye pistol I would call Cabot Guns and ask how much one of the wad guns their sponsored shooters use would cost. I've tried using their website and they have lots of crazy options but I don't see a way to order something suitable for a 2700.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Laminarman Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 am

Well for the shotguns I am partial to Beretta's, they just plain point and last.  But if I were this hypothetical guy, I'd look for a clean used AYA N2 SxS in 20 or 28g and walk the woods in search of grouse and woodcock.  Just turn it sideways if you want an O/U.  They point like they were made by the hand of God without breaking the bank.

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum