Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic shooting

5 posters

Go down

Olympic shooting Empty Olympic shooting

Post by LeadSlinger 7/26/2012, 10:40 am

Ok.... I'll admit it - I am an Olympics junkie! For 2 weeks, I can't get enough, especially the really obscure sports (world competition badminton is something to see!). So, until there's a cure, I ask you to give generously for a cure.

That being said, and that I'm new to the bullseye shooting discipline, what are the differences between Olympic pistol and say a 2700 or a National Match Competition? I know it's now meters instead of yards, but is the scoring pretty much the same? Target design? Equipment requirements? Any Camp Perry people going? Any "superstars" to watch?

Looking at the schedule, there's 10M air pistol, 25M pistol, 25M rapid pistol and 50M pistol. Should be fun!

LeadSlinger

Back to top Go down

Olympic shooting Empty Re: Olympic shooting

Post by SteveT 7/26/2012, 12:26 pm

All olympic shooting events use iron sights. Pistols are only allowed open sights (post & notch); Rifle can use 'peep' sights but no optics.

10m Air Pistol: 60 shots in 1:45, 4.5mm (0.177") pellets, compressed air, CO2 or spring powered. Think 'slow fire'. Sighting shots allowed before you start shooting for score. Minimum trigger weight 500 grams. After 60 shot competition the top 10 shooters fire a 10 shot final fired as 1 shot in 45 seconds. Scoring is done in 1/10th of a scoring ring (i.e. 10.3, 9.7). Scoring is announced after each shot so you have to stand there as they go down the line and announce what each person shot; then you take the next shot. Talk about nerve-wracking!

50m Free Pistol: 60 shots in 2:15, 22LR. Think 'slow fire marathon'. Sighting shots allowed before you start shooting for score. No minimum trigger weight, very few limitations on the gun except the overall length. The grip can encircle the hand but can't extend beyond the wrist. After 60 shots there is a 10 shot final similar to Air Pistol.

25m Standard Pistol: 20 shots slow fire, 20 shots timed fire, 20 shots rapid fire. Very similar to US Conventional Pistol except slow fire is 5 shots in 2 1/2 minutes; timed and rapid are the same, 20,10 seconds. Timed and Rapid start with the pistol down at least 45 degrees below horizontal; you can't start raising until the start of the string, which can be turning targets or lights. All Olympic events will use lights and electronic scoring targets. Minimum trigger weight is 1000 grams; other rules are similar to NRA except open sights only. After 60 shots there is a final consisting of 4 strings of rapid fire.

25m Sport Pistol (womens): 30 shots slow fire, 30 shots duello, 22LR. This is a really fun course of fire and is the same as mens International Center Fire. Slow fire is similar to NRA, except it is 5 shots in 5 minutes. Duello is one shot at a time; start with the gun down (45 deg) when the lights change you have 3 seconds to raise and shoot one shot; there is 7 seconds between each shot. Guns are the same as 25m Standard Pistol. After 60 shots there is a final consisting of 10 (?) shots Duello.

25m Rapid Fire: 20 shots 8 seconds, 20 shots 6 seconds, 20 shots 4 seconds, 22LR. There are 5 targets downrange. Start with gun down (45 deg) when the lights change, raise and fire one shot on each of the 5 targets. After 60 shots there is a final consisting of 4 strings fo 5 shots in 4 seconds.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Cancio 7/26/2012, 8:52 pm

Great explanation Steve. However, standard pistol is not shoot in the Olympics, only air, free, and rapid fire, for womens 25 meters pistol and air only.

Carlos Cancio

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/26/2012, 10:20 pm

whoops! you're right.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by LeadSlinger 7/27/2012, 9:39 am

Thanks, Steve!!! Should be something to see - just hope I get to see it. I've never heard of "Duello". That's got to be cool to watch/shoot.

LeadSlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/11/2012, 12:24 am

Good descriptions SteveT,

There was a change in the Finals for Rapid Fire. The basic 60 shots are used for a qualification to get you into the finals. Once there, the score sheet is wiped clean and the finalists are eliminated with each string after the first two. Not sure I conveyed that accurately, but it is different in that the qualification score is no longer part of the final.

There is a wiki with lots of info about the Olympic disciplines and related items at:

Shooting Wiki

(The Rapid Pistol event at the wiki link has not yet been updated with the new finals format.)

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams
Things of Interest to Bullseye (and International) Competitors

Last edited by Ed Hall on 9/12/2012, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/11/2012, 3:04 am

Ed
Welcome!
It is good to see you post again.
Jack H
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/12/2012, 11:48 pm

Hi Jack,

Good to "see" you again.

As I told Joe, I've been away far too long. We'll have to see how active I am, though...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams
Things of Interest to Bullseye (and International) Competitors

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down