Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight

+10
Magload
Gary Wells
apipeguy
Chris Miceli
SmokinNJokin
Jon Eulette
Orpanaut
dronning
10sandxs
mikemyers
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight - Page 2 Empty Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight

Post by mikemyers 6/27/2018, 1:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

While being out of the country, doing a lot of reading, I decided I wanted to replace the Matchdot II on my Model 41 with an Aimpoint.  The reasons were how nice the "image" looked through Aimpoint sights, and how much weight it would save.  Maybe if I was 47 instead of 74, the weight wouldn't be an issue, but for me it is.  Adding an H-1 to my wad gun didn't seem to make the gun any heavier, while placing the Matchdot onto my Model 41 seemed to double the apparent weight.

While researching all this, I found an excellent article on the Aimpoint sights at the Big Tex Outdoors website.
      https://bigtexoutdoors.com/blogs/news/88201863-differences-between-aimpoint-micro-sights
I also found a line about a 15% discount if I used the code "Aimpoint Article" on my order form.  So, I cancelled the sight I had already put in my shopping cart from MidwayUSA, and put one of the H-2 sights in my new shopping cart - then wrote to BigTexOutdoors, explaining that I would place the order when I returned this past Saturday.   They wrote back that this was no problem, and I placed the order on Monday.

I was just adding up all my notes about the new equipment that would soon be arriving, mostly for my Pro 2000 reloading press, when I get an email a few minutes ago: "Stop What You're Doing & Check The Mailbox!  Something Amazing From Big Tex Outdoors Has Been Delivered".    Very impressive - nothing ever gets here this fast.

So, here was the box with the H-2 sight.  I liked the H-1 version, and I like this version even more.  Most importantly, it has flip-up covers for each end of the sight, so I won't continually lose track of where my H-1 covers are.  The flip-up covers have lenses, so you can see through the sights even with them closed.  Interesting.  The way the shape of the casing is built up to "protect" the adjustment controls is a nice improvement.  I haven't yet installed the battery - will be interesting to see how the "image" compares with the H-1.   According to the article, the H-2 is slightly taller than the H-1, which is why I bought the H-1 last time.  Most importantly to me, the weight is insignificant.

It does one thing that completely baffles me.  I've tried it over and over, as it shouldn't be doing this.  I've looked at small things through the sight way off in the distance, and every time they look sharper than when I see them without the sight.  My glasses have no correction for my right eye for distance viewing, but seeing through this sight makes things clearer.  My left eye glasses do have a prescription, but the same thing happens!  I plan to call Aimpoint, as I don't understand this.

Anyway, it's here, and to make a fair test I want to shoot the Model 41 once more just the way it is, with the Matchdot II, then install the H-2.

Interesting - the box that BigTexOutdoors shipped it in, included a small printed booklet, "The Constitution of the United States".  It also included a package of "Israeli military grade pocket sand".

Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight - Page 2 Img_5910

I'll write more later.  I hope it works with my Aimpoint base, as it will "only" be on a 22.  

"Save 15% THESE SIGHTS with the code: Aimpoint Article"
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight - Page 2 Empty Re: Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight

Post by Magload 6/30/2018, 8:23 pm

Thanks Bill.  One side at a time will be easier and require a smaller jawed vice.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 6/30/2018, 8:33 pm

messenger wrote:Be careful. If the vice has any slop at all you won't get the shade on correctly. It needs to be a precision vice. Ask me how I know. I advise a plastic or nylon block on either vice jaw. Do one side at a time.

Bill
Did them one at a time and used a 5" mill vise an still got a very tiny bulge on the front shade.  Back one went on without issue.

I put green loctite on them and I think when I did the front one I had a bare spot which caused friction and the bulge.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 6/30/2018, 8:40 pm

Thanks Dave I will watch for that and may order the 5" mill vice.  I do believe my drill press vice will be too sloppy.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/30/2018, 10:11 pm

That isn’t a milling machine vice. This is:
Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight - Page 2 Da16fc10

However any arbor press that is reasonably square should do the job.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/1/2018, 8:40 am

Wobbley wrote:That isn’t a milling machine vice.  This is:

That is like the vice I have.  I will check it for square.  I have the plastic jaw protectors that I used on my big vice when I was building AR15s.
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/1/2018, 8:57 am

Wobbley wrote:That isn’t a milling machine vice.  This is:

Yep, used a D50, 
I still believe if you use a loctite you need to apply a very thin film (you don't need much!) all the way around the shade.  I know I had a bare spot and I'm certain the friction is what caused the very slight bulge.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/1/2018, 10:23 am

Wobbley, in one sentence, what is the difference between a "milling machine" and a "vice"?  I think I found the same thing you showed; they called it a vice, and the price is $520.  I have a device similar to this, but I never imagined it cost that much.    Also, what is the purpose for Loctite if it's a press fit?

In what way might they improve the standard H-1 and H-2, to make up for no longer having the flip-up protective covers on the H-2?  Unless you are shooting into, or away from, the sun, what might it do to help?

Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight - Page 2 Screen13
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/1/2018, 9:22 pm

One picture worth more

The green thing is the vice. It holds the workpiece.

Aimpoint H-2 red dot sight - Page 2 80e22710
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/1/2018, 9:56 pm

Aha!  It is anchored to the mill.  Gotcha!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/2/2018, 4:41 pm

mikemyers wrote:Also, what is the purpose for Loctite if it's a press fit?

In what way might they improve the standard H-1 and H-2, to make up for no longer having the flip-up protective covers on the H-2?  Unless you are shooting into, or away from, the sun, what might it do to help?

1st you have to use a retaining Loctite made specifically for press fits and there are several.  Even with a press fit the constant hammering may eventually loosen up the shades.

The shades are for both the sun and for rain.  

If you ever shoot on an uncovered range (like Perry & Canton) in bright sun or in the rain with no shades you might as well take your dot off, yes it can be that bad.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 7/2/2018, 6:04 pm

I used a bench vice on both of my guns and both of my dad's guns. That's was almost 2 years ago. Still holding up okay. The Kodiak base and KC shades are a great improvement. Love mine!

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/2/2018, 7:03 pm

My mount and shades are on the way.  It is not far SC to Fl but because of the 4th I expect them on Thursday.  I am not going to buy a vice I will either use my drill press vice or my bench vice.  I will either get them on ok or screw them up.  As long as I don't mess up the H1 I can live with messing up the shades.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 9/7/2018, 12:30 pm

Do you still have your Matchdot? Would you like to sell it? I'm a new shooter looking to start getting all of my gear together.

Thanks!

Valerie
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 9/7/2018, 12:49 pm

If you're asking me, I took the Matchdot off my Model 41 to install the Aimpoint, and then I took of the barrel with Tasco sight on my High Standard to install the Matchdot II mounted on a new barrel, which means I have an ADCO red dot sight somewhere which you can buy for any reasonable offer, and I have the Tasco, but it's still installed on the original barrel on my High Standard.  I also have a new, unused, "reflex style" Ultradot sight.  Some people prefer them, but I feel more comfortable with the tube style sights.

I think this is my ADCO:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/239413/adco-alpha-red-dot-sight-25mm-tube-1x-15-moa-dot-silver

In bright sunlight, I didn't like the ADCO, but maybe that was just an old battery in it. If you want it, it's yours for any reasonable offer.  Send me a message, and your name, address, and so on.  I guess I better make sure I can still find it!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2