Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ear Plugs, 2018

+11
dronning
Ljohns
tceva
Jack H
Wobbley
john bickar
Aprilian
zanemoseley
STEVE SAMELAK
Sa-tevp
mikemyers
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ear Plugs, 2018 - Page 2 Empty Ear Plugs, 2018

Post by mikemyers Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Two years ago I wanted to buy ear plugs to wear under my Howard Leight muffs.  For both, I got the ones with the highest NRR rating.  I need to buy more ear plugs - has anything changed, and is there a brand superior to the Howard Leight ear plugs?  I'm not sure what the difference is between these two; they are both 33 NRR.  Is there now something better?
Ear Plugs, 2018 - Page 2 Max_borderEar Plugs, 2018 - Page 2 Max_usa_uncorded
MAX®MAX® USA
Single-UseSingle-Use
MAX-1MAX1-USA
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Ear Plugs, 2018 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ear Plugs, 2018

Post by mikemyers Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:32 am

SmokinNJokin wrote:......keep your mouth open ......... pretty much negates a lot of the protection and is why most of us are pretty deaf. I have a deeply ingrained habit of opening my mouth when pulling the trigger that I don't even notice I am doing.
Now that you write it, it sounds obvious, but nobody has ever mentioned that to me before.  

Howard Leight says their NRR 33 ear plugs are available at CVS Pharmacy.  I'm down to using my last pair over and over again; will buy some this morning.  I still don't know which ear plugs are "better", if any.  Since I'm wearing them under my ear muffs, I assume the NRR rating isn't as critical, but no reason not to use "the best".
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Follow up; went to CVS this morning, and what they sell is CVS Health brand, but from the package markings, they say to go to "HEAROS Xtreme Protection Series" for more information.  I just wen there to check:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnVq0f_SWrU

(I also found that I have not been installing mine correctly.  I was told to moisten them with saliva, roll them into a tiny diameter, then push into my ears.  The proper technique is to roll them into that small diameter, pull up on the ear with one hand to enlarge the opening, then press the ear plugs in with the other hand.)

The package states "...the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) Is based on the attenuation of continuous noise and may not be an accurate indicator of the protection attainable against impulsive noise such as gunfire."

Ear Plugs, 2018 - Page 2 Img_6610

That brings me back to my original question, how to find the best ear plugs for gunfire, or are these as good as it gets?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:53 pm

I use the ones on right.  The work great.  The disposable foam ones are rated higher than any muff.  Best to use both together.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:00 pm

Someplace it said that they respond to different frequencies differently, and as you suggested, best to use both.  If I remember correctly, someone up above suggested that a set of 30 muffs plus a pair of 33 plugs might end up actually giving a NRR of 34.  

Another page suggested that we use "electronic muffs" because they somehow change the sound making it less dangerous.  Noise Cancelling, or something similar.  But I can't find anything to back this up.  The only thing I can tell for sure is that electronic muffs pick up "normal" sounds and amplify them through an internal speaker so you can hear them.

Noplace have I found anything about electronic muffs on top of plugs.  For that matter, the highest rated plugs I can find are 33.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:18 pm

You may want to search for the military studies on hearing protection. A positive result of US foreign adventures is advances are made in medical technology and protection of military personnel. There are several studies made by the US military on hearing protection as the military tries to get the best protection practices and technology to keep trained personnel from becoming unservicable.

The performance of foam ear plugs is dependent on proper installation. Best practice is to insert deeply and hold in place as they expand. Be careful as ear plugs can also pack earwax deep into the ear canal if the ear canal is not kept clean.

I still can't believe the Vietnam era veterans that mentored me that worked around running aircraft APUs with no hearing protection. Discussions in the line shack and the breakroom were always loud. I stand on their shoulders.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:50 am

I guess earplugs and muffs would work. If you didn't have Clarks.

Ear Plugs, 2018 - Page 2 20180711
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 am

LenV wrote:I guess earplugs and muffs would work. If you didn't have Clarks.

I wear the large David Clark Mickey Mouse Ears since they have more inside volume and parts are readily available. The optional ear seals are good too (except when the silicone gel ones leak down your neck in the winter...)

David Clark Model 19A

Ever hot-rod the Clarks with better foam?

SOUNDEX™️ PREMIUM AIRCRAFT SOUNDPROOFING & MATERIALS PACKAGE
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:15 am

Even better upgrade for david clarks, Oregon Aero hush kit. That plus earplugs is about as good as it gets.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 am

Those look like what we had in the Navy.  They were good and I always wore them when I could.  I have also installed stereo head phone inside them.  Gee maybe I am deaf from loud rock and roll music.    As I always say if the music is to loud you are to old. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am

We used to wire 1/8 stereo jacks into an unused pin on the ICS box to play music from an ipod. New digital audio system a few years ago put an end to that modification. I remember flying over Baghdad every night, Metallica blasting over the ICS. Good times, almost 10 years ago.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:20 pm

SmokinNJokin wrote:We used to wire 1/8 stereo jacks into an unused pin on the ICS box to play music from an ipod. New digital audio system a few years ago put an end to that modification. I remember flying over Baghdad every night, Metallica blasting over the ICS. Good times, almost 10 years ago.
Wow Ipod I had a 8 track when I was on the ship it replaced my reel to reel portable.  I am not saying how many years ago that was.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2