What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Go down

What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by GaryWWhite on 9/5/2018, 8:33 am

What exactly is a roll trigger?  I'm having an AXI built and they are known for their Precision Pistol firearms.  I know the trigger I will get will be good but have heard on the Forum that the roll trigger is the thing to have. Can you folks give me the pros and cons about this type of trigger and whether or not I should add this to my order.  i won't be using the AXI as a Bullseye gun but as my EDC in 10mm.  I know this is "heresy" but this is my epitome gun that I wanted on my bucket list. My go to meetin' type of gun so to speak LOL! Your kind educational remarks would be greatly appreciated!
Gary

P.S.  I'm going to be shooting Bullseye with my Wilsonized Springfield TRP.  Anxious to shoot my first match and should I have this done to the TRP?


Last edited by GaryWWhite on 9/5/2018, 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

GaryWWhite

Posts : 51
Join date : 2018-03-22
Age : 68
Location : Lees Summit Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by Chris Miceli on 9/5/2018, 8:35 am

you know how a striker gun has movement before it breaks? imagine that but 1911. its smooth movement before the hammer drops. no wall just trigger movement. Not slack movement like pre travel. Steve is a nice guy and all but the roll triggers i've seen done by them you better off getting a crisp trigger.
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2553
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by GaryWWhite on 9/5/2018, 8:39 am

Chris Miceli wrote:you know how a striker gun has movement before it breaks? imagine that but 1911. its smooth movement before the hammer drops. no wall just trigger movement. Not slack movement like pre travel. Steve is a nice guy and all but the roll triggers i've seen done by them you better off getting a crisp trigger.

Thanks Chris!  I appreciate the explanation and your recommendation on the crisp trigger.
Gary

GaryWWhite

Posts : 51
Join date : 2018-03-22
Age : 68
Location : Lees Summit Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by Steve B on 9/5/2018, 8:54 pm

Roll triggers are great if you know how to use one.  Many people want them but don't understand their purpose nor the shot process to take advantage of that movement.  If you're unsure definitely stick with a crisp.

Steve B

Posts : 381
Join date : 2011-06-16
Location : Elkhart, IN

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by joy2shoot on 9/5/2018, 9:20 pm

I agree with the previous comments.  I have a Pro Plus and really like its crisp trigger.  This is a link to a video on the Accuracy X Facebook page showing their roll trigger.

https://www.facebook.com/344730025561939/videos/1938802172821375/

joy2shoot

Posts : 314
Join date : 2014-08-02
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by zanemoseley on 9/5/2018, 10:37 pm

I liked crisp triggers until I got a roll trigger. Roll is more forgiving.

zanemoseley

Posts : 782
Join date : 2015-07-11

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by Chris Miceli on 9/5/2018, 11:32 pm

joy2shoot wrote:I agree with the previous comments.  I have a Pro Plus and really like its crisp trigger.  This is a link to a video on the Accuracy X Facebook page showing their roll trigger.

https://www.facebook.com/344730025561939/videos/1938802172821375/
that roll has a wall terrible in my book.
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2553
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by Jon Eulette on 9/6/2018, 12:59 am

A good short roll cannot be felt when squeezing confidently fast. You will go right past it! When squeezing slower or if you have chicken finger you will feel the roll( it lets you know trigger is moving and will break soon). It’s a learned finesse to feel it every pull of the trigger. I don’t know of any HM using a roll longer than medium (a very short medium). I think longer rolls are good for novice shooters who haven’t learned how to continuously squeeze the trigger. But as their skill develops it will hold them back. A hard crisp trigger is harder to shoot well than a soft crisp trigger. But ultimately in my opinion the trigger needs to break fairly soon. The longer you take to break the shot typically results in poorly executed shots. Yep Shue is a long holder....
This is why I use the phrase “3.5# doesn’t always equal 3.5#. A good trigger breaks fast and will hold 3.5# weights. A poorly breaking trigger that doesn’t break until on the verge of jerking the trigger but holds 3.5#.
Decisions decisions.
Jon
avatar
Jon Eulette

Posts : 2095
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by GaryWWhite on 9/6/2018, 10:19 am

I now understand what a roll trigger is and how it performs.  Honestly guys, I'm not that good of a shot to realize the benefit of either a crisp or roll trigger.  I am going to go with the crisp trigger at this time from AXI based on the majority of comments seeming to favor that type trigger and a comment that AXI's roll trigger might need some improvement.  The roll trigger (I think was mentioned) is more like a striker pistol which I don't like as I cannot tell exactly when it will break.  I sure appreciate your kind remarks and opinions to my post!
Gary

GaryWWhite

Posts : 51
Join date : 2018-03-22
Age : 68
Location : Lees Summit Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by Chris Miceli on 9/6/2018, 11:31 am

GaryWWhite wrote:I now understand what a roll trigger is and how it performs.  Honestly guys, I'm not that good of a shot to realize the benefit of either a crisp or roll trigger.  I am going to go with the crisp trigger at this time from AXI based on the majority of comments seeming to favor that type trigger and a comment that AXI's roll trigger might need some improvement.  The roll trigger (I think was mentioned) is more like a striker pistol which I don't like as I cannot tell exactly when it will break.  I sure appreciate your kind remarks and opinions to my post!
Gary
very very few smith can do a proper roll trigger.. probably the hardest thing to do to a 1911.
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2553
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: What Exactly is a Roll Trigger

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum