Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

+12
spursnguns
LenV
straybrit
zanemoseley
dronning
john bickar
Jon Eulette
javaduke
mikemyers
Wobbley
Tim:H11
Slartybartfast
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? - Page 2 Empty Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

Post by Slartybartfast 9/10/2018, 8:00 am

First topic message reminder :

Okay, I have pretty close to zero experience with revolvers. But, there's a sale on Chiappa Rhinos and thought I'd pick one up for the heck of it.

60DS model, but in .357 Mag (in black) or 9mm (in chrome)?

Only interested in shooting targets, nothing else. So get 9mm so I don't add to the calibres I need to keep on hand and keep ammunition costs down? Or is there a compelling reason for me to get the .357?

The only negatives (beside people complaining about the looks) I've seen about the pistols is the moon clips aren't great (which reflects badly for the 9mm model if I understand correctly).
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? - Page 2 Empty Re: Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

Post by mikemyers 10/1/2018, 11:43 am

If you get a CCW permit, assuming you can, the waiting period is just enough time to drink a cup of coffee.    :-)

I don't "carry", but I hate waiting..........
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? - Page 2 Empty Re: Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

Post by Slartybartfast 10/1/2018, 12:02 pm

mikemyers wrote:If you get a CCW permit, assuming you can, the waiting period is just enough time to drink a cup of coffee.    :-)

Here (Canada, and worse Quebec) the wait is anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks. No such thing as a CCW permit (although theoretically there is, getting one is near impossible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry#Canada). Other provinces can be as fast as same-day approval according to the store owner I bought from.
Don't want to talk politics, these are simply the facts of how things work here, but beside the above you only buy handguns for sports and targetshooting here.
If someone was interested in CCW I don't know how the heck you'd conceal a 60DS unless you're wearing a trenchcoat. Seems to me to be the type of firearm you buy because you want to open carry and you most definitely want it to be seen.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 10/15/2018, 6:26 am

mikemyers wrote:If you get a CCW permit, assuming you can, the waiting period is just enough time to drink a cup of coffee.    :-)

if you are referring to NICS check time, that varies by state,  

not all states use the CCW to skip the NICS check,
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 10/29/2018, 9:05 am

So, bought it and I'm super impressed and very happy with my purchase.

Don't know what could be said wrong about the trigger. The cocking lever takes a bit of effort one-handed, but that's my only observation.

Shot it during the same session as my also brand new PPQ Q5. Shooting 38 special from the Chiappa felt like shooting a BB gun. The movement of the muzzle seemed to be about the same whether I was firing live round or dry-firing. Next time out I'm going to bring my .22lr FAS 607 along to compare. There seemed to be zero muzzle lift and I had no problem shooting one handed in DA or SA.

Shooting .357 magnum was daunting. Wow was it ever loud. And the web on my hand sure felt it as did my shoulder by the time I finished. But easily controllable and little muzzle lift. All the recoil really is straight back. What an incredible experience. The people shooting next to me must have thought me a bit of a lunatic. I was laughing after many of the shots and grinning ear to ear.

At the end of the session I loaded with 2 38s and 2 357s and let the guy next to me try. Don't think he had shot a revolver before and didn't really listen about how to shoot SA. He looked to have trouble with the trigger and looked unimpressed with the 38s. Sure loved his surprise and expression when the first 357 went off.

At 20yds on a scaled 25m ISSF target I put virtually every shot in the rings at least. Only a half dozen missed the target or the paper entirely. Everything was down and slightly left. Wasn't really being professional about adjusting the sights. That will be a task for next trip. But I was starting to shoot more towards the black by the end.

The Remington UMC 357 Magnums gave the most bang and the most impressive x-shaped flash from the cylinder gap. The PMC I had also performed flawlessly.

The PPQ was also a dream and performed flawlessly. Again, all shots were low and a bit to the left. THat one I adjusted more and put a number in the black by the end that started to look deliberate instead of by chance.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 10/29/2018, 9:13 am

According to the owners manual, there's a spring kit for the trigger that can be mix and matched with the standard springs to get different trigger weights and reaction times.

On page 13, 970.291 Trigger Conversion Kit

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/uploadimmagini/altrimanuali_documento_12.pdf

According to the table I guess my trigger should be in the 10lb range. In DA only feels slightly heavier than the PPQ. Found it easy to pull just before firing and then squeeze slightly more to fire.

(The PPQ I found exceptionally easy to stage to the wall and then squeeze to fire as well.)
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 3/4/2023, 1:15 pm

I shot a friend's 6" today, 357 for the second time. DA and cocking 1 handed feel like a lot of work but the gun shoots well and is easy to point with the upright 1911 grip he put on.

Has anyone tried the Bullseye model?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 3/4/2023, 1:46 pm

I like the Chiapa revolvers that shoot from the bottom cylinder. I thought about buying one a couple times but the only model I found that was suited for BE use appeared to be only available in 9mm. I hate the idea of using a moon clip, seems extremely impractical to me. So I let the feeling pass.

I would go with the 357. No moon clips and you can shoot 38spl or 357 mag depending on what you are doing with it.

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2