Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Fire .45acp

+3
Russ OR
dronning
Steamerbill
7 posters

Go down

Dry Fire .45acp Empty Dry Fire .45acp

Post by Steamerbill 10/23/2018, 11:51 am

Hello all,

I have started Dry Firing my Range Officer .45. I have a couple of quick questions.

1.) I assume that the use of a Snap Cap or something similar is recommended.... Is that the case??

2.) When Dry Firing can I just pull the hammer back to re-cock the trigger WITHOUT cycling the slide without causing any damage? Or should I cycle slide every-time?

Your feedback appreciated.
Steamerbill
Steamerbill

Back to top Go down

Dry Fire .45acp Empty Re: Dry Fire .45acp

Post by dronning 10/23/2018, 12:13 pm

No need for a snap cap.
You will get differing opinions on the cycle the slide question. I prefer to cycle it but I only cycle it enough to set the trigger and I don't let it drop back into battery.  The reason I do this is so I don't put any side pressure on the hammer and possibly impact the trigger job.  This way will guarantee that your hammer is drawn back perfectly straight.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR 10/23/2018, 12:28 pm

What I do- smart people:correct me if I'm wrong

Rack slide - - Dry Fire-and keeping the trigger held back roll the hammer back - release trigger - lower hammer onto hooks - Dry fire - -and again keeping the trigger held back-roll the hammer back ---Dry fire - repeat.

I wedge a rubber tap into the frame/slide for the hammer to fall on - eliminates unnecessary steel/steel shock. (I once broke a hammer)

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 10/23/2018, 7:04 pm

I like to cycle the slide each time while still holding down the trigger. I think this best replicates the process you would have if the gun was really fired.  I do like to keep a grip on the slide going forward so the slide doesn't slam forward on an empty chamber though.  I've been told that would cause wear/damage.

I do not use snap caps unless I'm dry firing a rimfire gun or a really old gun.  

Good luck. 
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 10/23/2018, 9:23 pm

What Russ OR described will give you the least amount of wear.  It is also the only way to keep the sear away from the hammer hooks while the gun is being cocked.  However, it may give you a different trigger feel, depending on your setup.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, I suggest, not worrying about wear and spend your mental effort in dry firing as close to live as possible.  I like to tie a string to the slide/sight/scope, and use it to cycle the slide, allowing me to train for sustained fire as well as just doing lots of hammer drops.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Dry Fire .45acp Empty Thanks for the responses

Post by Steamerbill 10/24/2018, 1:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. It is appreciated...
Steamerbill
Steamerbill

Back to top Go down

Post by watercam 10/31/2018, 9:46 am

Love this site. Learn something every day!

watercam

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/31/2018, 6:18 pm

Ed Hall wrote:What Russ OR described will give you the least amount of wear.  It is also the only way to keep the sear away from the hammer hooks while the gun is being cocked.  However, it may give you a different trigger feel, depending on your setup.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, I suggest, not worrying about wear and spend your mental effort in dry firing as close to live as possible.  I like to tie a string to the slide/sight/scope, and use it to cycle the slide, allowing me to train for sustained fire as well as just doing lots of hammer drops.
That’s brilliant...thank you
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down