Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scope ring attachment question

4 posters

Go down

Scope ring attachment question Empty Scope ring attachment question

Post by tvphotog Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm mounting an Ultradot 30 mm scope to a custom 1911 rail. The package came with a small 3 mm hex wrench for the four ring screws,  but I usually attach scope rings with a torque wrench. Can someone suggest the correct inch-lbs number to set the screwdriver to?

tvphotog

Back to top Go down

Scope ring attachment question Empty Re: Scope ring attachment question

Post by Wobbley Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:47 pm

This, as a guide?  http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/03/22/rifle-screw-torque-settings-specifications/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:14 pm

The guide that came with my Wheeler Torque wrench says:
   Base Screws  30 inch pounds
   Windage Screws  30-40 inch pounds
   Ring Screws   Aluminum Rings 10-15 inch pounds
                       Steel Rings 15-20 inch pounds

Hope this helps you out.
Allen

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 am

If you're using the rings that came with the UltraDot (UD), here's what Dave Salyer told me when I asked about using rings other than the ones the UD provides...

"I have no trouble with the UD vertical split rings because I install them correctly. Tighten the bottom long screws very tight and just snug the top short screws. If the top screws are too tight, that opens up the clamping of the bottom on the mount."

When I asked about specific torque values for the UD rings, he elaborated with...
"I don’t have the torque values for those threads in aluminum but this works for me.... After I get the scope level and set forward against the front ring, I tighten the bottom front screw until it squeaks once. Then I push the rear ring back so the screw is against the back of the cross slot. Next, I tighten the rear bottom screw until it squeaks once. Snug the top screws but not enough to tend to open up the bottom of the rings."

There is a lot of knowledge in those few sentences.  I followed his instructions, and my UltraDot is still mounted in those rings and holding perfectly after 2 years and several thousand rounds on a slide-mounted 45.  They're not the nicest rings you can use, but they work.

Dave

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tvphotog Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:17 pm

A lot of good stuff here. THanks.

tvphotog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content