Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help choosing .22 EIC pistol

+8
Ghillieman
JKR
Jack H
kjanracing
Wobbley
gregbenner
C.Walsh
devildog
12 posters

Go down

Need help choosing .22 EIC pistol Empty Need help choosing .22 EIC pistol

Post by devildog 1/5/2019, 2:07 am

I took an 18-month shooting holiday due to work and a move.  Good part is I moved very close to the CMP facility at Talladega, so I am about to jump back in.  I am contemplating a new .22 EIC weapon, and I would appreciate any help deciding which direction.

I have an old HS Victor that I have never been able to get to run reliably.  Will stay in the safe.  I have a Ruger Mk III that I shot for several years that I just have not been able to like.  Will probably lose that one.

I am considering either a Model 41, or going with a conversion.  I have a RO 9mm for EIC matches, and a spare RO lower, but I really don't know that much about conversions other than reading here.  Is it advisable to send the conversion and the lower to a smith to get fitted?  Anything else to do to get it match-ready?

I will be starting at the bottom again in terms of ability.  Will probably not be shooting anything other than EIC matches.  Thanks for any guidance.
devildog
devildog

Back to top Go down

Need help choosing .22 EIC pistol Empty Re: Need help choosing .22 EIC pistol

Post by C.Walsh 1/5/2019, 2:23 am

Conversions don’t need to be fitted to the frame. The hammer spring will need to be about a 19# spring give or take a pound. Conversions are nice. A 41 that runs reliably is a great choice too. Can’t say much about the Rugers or High Standards. Just no experience to share is all. With a conversion the big thing is that hammer spring and a trigger set up for two to two and a half pound pull. Nice thing about the conversion and the 41 is that the barrels are easily changeable so if you want a second barrel (one for andot and one for irons) you can run both CMP and NRA rimfire on one frame/platform.

C.Walsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 1/5/2019, 2:29 am

You didn’t mention a budget, nor whether new or used? 

I like the Model 41 with the 7 3/8” barrel using iron sights, nice used ones are pretty reasonable. They are still in production, parts, mags, etc are plentifull, they are a breeze to field strip, and others barrels are available and super easy to switch out. 

Most any Olympic pistol would be great, really depends on budget. Personally, Pardini or Matchgun.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by devildog 1/5/2019, 2:45 am

I don't think I'm budgeted or talented enough for an elaborate Olympic pistol.  New or used does not matter.  

I think I can get a decent deal on a new 41 if it comes to that.  I've shot one once or twice, they are nice.  OTOH, is there anything to be gained by having the same style 1911 lower for both guns?
devildog
devildog

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/5/2019, 3:06 am

One thing..,if you’re not distinguished, then additional trigger time on your EIC lower might prove beneficial.  I’ve advocated that for CF you should use your “ball” gun occasionally to get trigger time on the ball gun.  It’s all about trigger....
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 1/5/2019, 3:50 am

I have a really nice, reliable 5 1/2 barreled 41 for sale. Please message if interested. 
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/5/2019, 4:09 am

If the Victor is a good original model, I'd get it going.  It's not rocket science.
I have in the past shot 99 SF with iron sight Victor.  Now not so much.

Last edited by Jack H on 1/5/2019, 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Walsh 1/5/2019, 4:13 am

devildog wrote:
OTOH, is there anything to be gained by having the same style 1911 lower for both guns?

I have a fair amount of experience on a Marvel conversion unit. I like it because I can focus on how to grip a 1911, the feel of that, and how to actuate a trigger that presses straight back vs a hinged trigger. I shoot my 45 during the center fire aggregate as many do. Shooting a 1911 based .22LR allows me to keep everything on the same page mentally when it comes to shooting. Granted there are still big differences between a 1911 chambered for .22LR rimfire and 45 ACP. Mainly in the trigger control since you have two completely different feeling triggers. But still, I like keeping things similar. It's comfortable for me. And again, if you happen to shoot a 1911 for service pistol, shoot a 1911 for 45, CF, 22, and just change barrels for the conversion unit for CMP you could shoot a 1911 for everything except NRA Distinguished Revolver. It's the route I took and it really helped me when learning grip, and trigger control.

C.Walsh

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/5/2019, 5:33 pm

Oh we all love to answer this question! 22's are fun. I don't think you can own too many. Buy, borrow, and try as many as you can. You can always weed out the ones that don't work for you without taking much of a hit.

As Jack stated, If you have a Connecticut High Standard Victor, you already have one of the great 22 pistols. Get the mags tuned and find what it likes for ammo and it's as good or better than any 41.

I've never owned a Ruger but have been outshot by enough of them to know they will get the job done. 

I personally like the low sight and bore line of the Euro guns. To me they are the easiest to shoot especially with iron sights. A good used Walther, Benelli, Fas, etc... can be had for about the same price as a good used 41 so don't count these out either. 

Of course if you have your heart set for a 41, Don't deny yourself! Nothing wrong with the conversions either. 

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 1/5/2019, 8:28 pm

Devil dog that HS Victor is the way to go. Issues with reliability are almost always the magazine lips being bent.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by devildog 1/6/2019, 2:54 am

I love the Victor, but if getting it to run is not rocket science, it must be brain surgery.  I have spent many hours at the range adjusting magazine lips.  Still can't get it to run reliably.
devildog
devildog

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 1/6/2019, 1:56 pm

Here is an excellent thread which discusses what usually works, and the things to try after that if the usual does not:  
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t7686-high-standard-magazine-adjustment-advice

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/6/2019, 4:48 pm

Adjusting magazines can be frustrating! I've found that the factory mags are easier to adjust and hold their adjustment way better than the after market ones.

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/6/2019, 5:38 pm

Adjusting mags rules:
make no adjustment until you have absolutely ruled everything else out
don't forget the follower - sometimes it's the only issue
search the web for guidelines on your specific mag - the problem may have already be solved
before you start adjusting measure everything you can and write it down
put a piece of flat stock along the side of the mag and measure the lips from that - not just the gap
a little goes a long way
measure all adjustments as you make them and write it down
keep one mag untouched until the other is running perfect for 500 rounds then duplicate

Always have at least 3 mags, I've seen more than a couple of mags dropped at matches causing alibi's.  If you drop a mag set it aside and grab your backup.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/6/2019, 5:58 pm

Excellent advice Dave!

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 1/6/2019, 7:44 pm

Great advice from Dave and others here, if you are getting failure to feed properly note if it is above or below the chamber (high or low). Good factory magazines are thicker lipped and tempered harder. 
 Go to www.interarmstx.com for magazines, Alan still makes quality ones and other parts. He's a former owner of High Standard his number is 713-476-0888.
 Go to http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/ it's a good website, he'll have articles on adjusting HS magazines and stuff.
  I also like www.rimfirecentral.com and go to the High Standard in other rim fires section.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselguy624 1/9/2019, 2:46 am

I've been running a Hammerli Trailside for EIC. Its been pretty good much like a 41 that doesn't jam!

dieselguy624

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down