Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hitec for short line and maybe long

+3
Multiracer
jglenn21
lablover
7 posters

Go down

Hitec for short line and maybe long Empty Hitec for short line and maybe long

Post by lablover Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:48 pm

After reading this post. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5354-powder-coat-bullet-accuracy?highlight=Bullet+lube

I’m wondering if anyone is now using this Hitec coating for short line or even long line Ammo?  I would think for short line it would be fine after what I have read.

This is for .45 curious about any updates or who’s been using it.  I’ve ordered a small amount to give it a try and seeing everyone seems to say you can shoot lubed rocks at 25 figured it was worth a try.  Saw Jon as well as 10sandxs had spoke highly of them

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Hitec for short line and maybe long Empty Re: Hitec for short line and maybe long

Post by jglenn21 Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 am

I've been running it at the short line for the last year
180r flat base with the HT coating. Grown to love the stuff.

No excess lube in your dies and they shoot the same the std. lubed version. I shoot the Magnus 185 swaged swchp at the LL.

Zero leading
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Hitec for short line and maybe long Empty Re: Hitec for short line and maybe long

Post by Multiracer Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:09 am

Acme bullet for me, easy to handle, easy to load, shoot great with virtually no smoke (WST) and a clean barrel.
Only use them indoors at 50' so far.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:37 am

lablover wrote:After reading this post. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5354-powder-coat-bullet-accuracy?highlight=Bullet+lube

I’m wondering if anyone is now using this Hitec coating for short line or even long line Ammo?  I would think for short line it would be fine after what I have read.

This is for .45 curious about any updates or who’s been using it.  I’ve ordered a small amount to give it a try and seeing everyone seems to say you can shoot lubed rocks at 25 figured it was worth a try.  Saw Jon as well as 10sandxs had spoke highly of them

Joe
Joe, I coat my own bullets with powder, not hitec. I've not tried hitec as I don't bake in a "pile" for speed to cure which is the bennefit if hitec.  I've heard good things about it, but I did have a friend who competes in uspsa say "my fingers are sometimes blue after a loading session, which to me indicates uncured coating.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:40 am

10sandxs wrote:Joe, I coat my own bullets with powder, not hitec. I've not tried hitec as I don't bake in a "pile" for speed to cure which is the bennefit if hitec.  I've heard good things about it, but I did have a friend who competes in uspsa say "my fingers are sometimes blue after a loading session, which to me indicates uncured coating.

That sounds like Blue Bullets proprietary coating, which is not Hi-Tech.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kidneyboy Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am

lablover wrote:After reading this post. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5354-powder-coat-bullet-accuracy?highlight=Bullet+lube

Joe

Interesting that you bring this up. I just bought my first 1911 45 last week and this week will be working up loads using Precision 185 swc and Acme 185 swc at 25yds. I'll post results
I have done this same type of comparison for 38sp, 357 and 9mm and the Hitek coated bullets have been just as accurate. I have had to tweak the powder on occasion but thats really it. I have even found a Hitek replacement for the swaged 148gr HBWC - see pic - Acme 148gr BNWC at 25yds offhand (2 hand hold).
Hitec for short line and maybe long Img_3311

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 pm

I have been using coated bullets indoor and on the short line for over three years. No more lube in my seating die, less mess on my hands and in my testing found them to have the same accuracy as the same bullet uncoated. I did use them on the long line but went to the jacketed hollow point for that a couple years ago. I also use them for my DR load but do find there is a little build up of residue in the barrel on my 586 which I need to scrub out periodically. I have not had the same issues on my 45.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:19 pm

weber1b wrote:I have been using coated bullets indoor and on the short line for over three years. No more lube in my seating die, less mess on my hands and in my testing found them to have the same accuracy as the same bullet uncoated. I did use them on the long line but went to the jacketed hollow point for that a couple years ago. I also use them for my DR load but do find there is a little build up of residue in the barrel on my 586 which I need to scrub out periodically. I have not had the same issues on my 45.
Who makes the coated bullets for DR ? What style ?
Thanks
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:26 pm

I use a local Chicago supplier, Standard Bullets. They make a 158 grain flat round nose bullet. They have gradually converted all of their regular lead bullets to coated as it seems their customer base prefers them.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Yea, gonna coat up some this weekend I don’t mind traditional lube just want to try to clean up my process
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down