Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow Fire Rule Question - Single Loading?

+8
cdrt
CR10X
james r chapman
Jon Eulette
kjanracing
Olde Pilot
243winxb
pgg
12 posters

Go down

Slow Fire Rule Question - Single Loading? Empty Slow Fire Rule Question - Single Loading?

Post by pgg 2/26/2019, 8:37 pm

Maybe this is a strange question.

Every time I shoot a match, the instructions for the slow fire portion include "with a magazine of 5 rounds, load" ...

Is there any rule that says you can't singly load every round? It's my understanding that there's nothing stopping you from unloading at any point and doing some dry fire.

I ask because I have a bad habit, over the course of the slow fire portion, to develop a flinch and anticipate the recoil. I find if I dry fire a shot or two periodically it keeps me closer to the middle. Sometimes in a match I'll do more dry fire than live fire.

Obviously in the long run the solution is to fix my flinch, but is there some rule that prohibits me from doing my slow fire like BANG click click BANG click BANG click BANG click click click etc? Or must I feed every round from a magazine of 5 rounds, like the guy calling the line says?

pgg

Back to top Go down

Slow Fire Rule Question - Single Loading? Empty Re: Slow Fire Rule Question - Single Loading?

Post by 243winxb 2/26/2019, 8:46 pm

10 shots in 10 minutes . Do as you please.  Its listed as 1 stage.
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Slow Fire Rule Question - Single Loading? Empty Re: Slow Fire Rule Question - Single Loading?

Post by Olde Pilot 2/26/2019, 9:15 pm

For slow fire, the proper command is "load" not "with five rounds, load'' -- You may load as many rounds as you desire (up to ten) in slow fire.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 2/26/2019, 9:55 pm

I’ll unload and take a couple dry fire shots if my process is going bad.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 2/26/2019, 10:05 pm

kjanracing wrote:I’ll unload and take a couple dry fire shots if my process is going bad.
Kurt
+1 to infinity 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/27/2019, 5:12 am

Jon Eulette wrote:
kjanracing wrote:I’ll unload and take a couple dry fire shots if my process is going bad.
Kurt
+1 to infinity 
Jon
and beyond!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/27/2019, 5:19 am

Depends on if you are at a NRA match or CMP match as far as the commands go.   

The CMP uses "WITH FIVE ROUNDS LOAD. AFTER FIRING FIVE SHOTS,RELOAD YOUR PISTOLS WITH A MAGAZINE AND FIVE SHOTS {they probably should say "rounds", but they said all their commands are correct} AND CONTINUE FIRING." for slow fire stages.  

NRA is just "LOAD" for slow fire match or stage if scoring is after 10 shots.  "NOTE: In slow fire events, which are scored after 10 shots, the command should be “10 SHOTS SLOW FIRE, 10 SHOTS IN 10 MINUTES, LOAD.” (The number of rounds to be loaded by the competitor in slow fire stages will be determined by the competitor." 

In any event, nothing appears to keep you from clearing your gun and performing dryfire if you should choose to do so.  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 2/27/2019, 8:03 am

CR10X wrote:Depends on if you are at a NRA match or CMP match as far as the commands go.   

The CMP uses "WITH FIVE ROUNDS LOAD. AFTER FIRING FIVE SHOTS,RELOAD YOUR PISTOLS WITH A MAGAZINE AND FIVE SHOTS {they probably should say "rounds", but they said all their commands are correct} AND CONTINUE FIRING." for slow fire stages.  

NRA is just "LOAD" for slow fire match or stage if scoring is after 10 shots.  "NOTE: In slow fire events, which are scored after 10 shots, the command should be “10 SHOTS SLOW FIRE, 10 SHOTS IN 10 MINUTES, LOAD.” (The number of rounds to be loaded by the competitor in slow fire stages will be determined by the competitor." 

In any event, nothing appears to keep you from clearing your gun and performing dryfire if you should choose to do so.  

CR
Absolutely correct.  You can unload and dry fire during the slow fire stages; a very common practice during International Free Pistol matches.  On a personal note, I load five rounds in each magazine for all the slow fires, because that was the way I was taught, just to get ready for the timed and rapid stages, but there is nothing that says you can't load all ten rounds for the .22 slow fires.  And again, that pertains to NRA matches.  As CR10X noted, the CMP requires you to load five rounds in each mag for the slow fire stage.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 2/27/2019, 12:49 pm

I heard some match directors saying "WITH THE MAGAZINE OF UP TO 10 ROUNDS LOAD".

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 2/27/2019, 1:10 pm

I see folks using revolvers load them singly to use the best cylinder in the gun for slow fire. I always just use the command 'Load' for slow fire.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 2/27/2019, 6:05 pm

Thank you all. I'll carry on with dryfiring to my heart's content. Smile

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by Caster3845 2/27/2019, 8:33 pm

Depends on if you are at a NRA match or CMP match as far as the commands go.   

Does this mean that in CMP matches a competitor can not fire 4 rounds, drop the mag, therefore leaving one in the chamber, load 5 more rounds in the same mag and continue firing? I have used that method for years as I only use one mag for slow fire.
Caster3845
Caster3845

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 2/27/2019, 8:38 pm

Greetings,

In the words of our new Secretary of Defense...

"It's only illegal if you get caught."

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down