Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two stage trigger weight question

5 posters

Go down

Two stage trigger weight question Empty Two stage trigger weight question

Post by Ray Dash 3/10/2019, 3:55 pm

For the guys shooting adjustable 2 stage triggers what trigger weight do you shoot for? My thinking is the lightest trigger possible will be easier to shoot but I have noticed that a light trigger has more of a chance of a double tap. I was having a real good rapid fire target target going today and then I had a double tap that missed the target completely. I have my trigger adjusted to about 2 1/4lbs and I am not sure if that is to light or I need to adjust for a little more over travel or even pre travel.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Two stage trigger weight question Empty Re: Two stage trigger weight question

Post by TonyH 3/10/2019, 4:25 pm

Are you referring to a 22 pistol here or a centerfire? NRA rules call for a trigger weight of not less than 2 lbs. on a 22 pistol and not less than 2.5 lbs. on a CF. Is the weight you stated the first stage of trigger?
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 3/10/2019, 4:32 pm

I am talking about .22. I have the first stage just about set to where there is no weight so all the weight is in the second stage. I am used to all my single stage trigger pistols so this feels more natural to me.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 3/10/2019, 4:37 pm

Depends on what you like and what pistol it is. I know guys who like a 3 1/2# trigger on their conversions and shoot them very, very well. I've tried a 2# trigger on a conversion and hated it. I like to feel the sear coming off the hammer hooks at around 2 3/4#. My Benelli feels right at 2# and my Hammerli at 2 1/4# . I don't know what difference it makes if it's a 2 stage trigger or not. That first stage is just take up.

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 3/10/2019, 4:42 pm

I like the way the trigger feels at 2.4lbs but I am not liking the double taps that sometimes happen. I know with better trigger control they should not happen but I guess I am not there yet. I wonder if I should just adjust for over travel and see if that helps?
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 3/10/2019, 5:34 pm

Ray,

Perhaps you should put a bit more weight and travel on the first stage to keep you off the sear when the pistol recoils. Sound like you have it set pretty close.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 3/10/2019, 5:36 pm

JKR wrote:Ray,

Perhaps you should put a bit more weight and travel on the first stage to keep you off the sear when the pistol recoils. Sound like you have it set pretty close.

Jim
I can give that a try and see what happens.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/10/2019, 5:57 pm

JKR wrote:Ray,

Jim
That's backwards. Increase weight on the 2nd stage. 1st stage is take up and 2nd stage is the actual weight you hold/pull to break the shot.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 3/10/2019, 5:59 pm

Jon do you think over or pre travel will have anything to do with it or just add weight to the second stage?
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/10/2019, 7:06 pm

Over and pre travel have nothing to do with weight/pull. But take up on two stage trigger is part of the combined total weight of the trigger pull: 1# take up (1st stage) + 1# 2nd stage = 2# trigger pull.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 3/10/2019, 8:44 pm

I like enough difference from stage 1 -stage 2 so to prevent double taps. Had the same issue.  Mine are now set as close to 2 lbs as possible total, but a clear stop at stage 2. I’m not sure there is any way to measure stage 1 alone, though I suspect it depends on the finger.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down