Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question Regarding Trigger Weight for .22

+4
Schaumannk
Jon Eulette
Jack H
farmboy
8 posters

Go down

Question Regarding Trigger Weight for .22  Empty Question Regarding Trigger Weight for .22

Post by farmboy 12/17/2014, 5:24 pm

This may be a dumb Question; 

Currently my .22 trigger is set to 2.25 lbs.  Should it be heavier if I want to improve and be the best I can?
I hear folks say it should be lowest legal weight while I have had a HM tell me I should get used to a heavier trigger, 3-3.5 to be the best I can be.
I shoot predominately Outdoor 2700s  and use my 45 for CF   I shoot the same or slightly higher score for CF & .45 as the .22

Is there a particular school of thought, if one exists or is all personal preference  ?

Those of you that are MAs & HMs what weight do you use/ recommend
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Question Regarding Trigger Weight for .22  Empty Re: Question Regarding Trigger Weight for .22

Post by Jack H 12/17/2014, 5:25 pm

I'd rather shoot a quality 4# trigger than a bad 2.25#
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Question Regarding Trigger Weight for .22  Empty Re: Question Regarding Trigger Weight for .22

Post by Jon Eulette 12/17/2014, 5:55 pm

I'm a firm believer in shooting a 2# trigger for the .22 matches. The lighter trigger allows you to focus on other fundamentals. In other words, the lighter trigger pull should be the easiest fundamental to perform because it shouldn't cause the pistol to move during firing like a 3.5# trigger pull on a .45 pistol. A good BE shooter will typically shoot .22 better than the .45. I believe because of the lighter trigger pull and less recoil. I have practiced with 2# trigger pull with the .45 pistol before and shot scores close to the .22 scores. At 25 yards I can routinely shoot 7 plus x's with the .45 for tf and rf. It's good training! But when the trigger pull is back up at 3.5# it gets a little harder. Shoot a lot of close x's instead of a knot of x's. Anyways I believe the lighter trigger is beneficial. Most people I have known to practice with 4# trigger with their .22 for ball matches don't shoot the .22 well or the .45 ball gun well. They don't learn how to squeeze a trigger with finesse. Just mashing a 4# trigger a lot doesn't lend itself to being a better ball shooter. Cross training is important. Shooting a .22 with a 2# trigger and a CF pistol with a 2.5# trigger and finally the .45 with a 3.5# trigger will all lead to learning how to squeeze a trigger. It will all transfer to the ball gun. As a pistolsmith I do on occasion do heavier trigger jobs for people on their .22's. I always shoot the pistols I work on. I find it more difficult to shoot their heavy trigger pull pistols than my 2# triggers on my own pistols. So for what it's worth, I'd stick to your 2.25# trigger and learn how to shoot it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 12/17/2014, 7:45 pm

John pretty much covered this.  There are two schools of thought on this issue.  The first is, shoot the 22 for itself with a legal light trigger. Triggering is difficult on a four pound trigger.
This is particularly attractive if your rim fire gun is not a 1911 with a conversion unit.    Take advantage of that light trigger.

Others believe they do better making all their guns the same, and that bumping up their 22 trigger to 3.5 pounds improves their scores in 45.  I know a Master class shooter, maybe high master that does this.   His name is Dan Pauley.  

Others take the middle ground.   I shoot a 1911 platform for the entire 2700.  My 22 is 2.75 pounds.  My centerfire gun is 3.0, and my 45 is 3.5.

I am in the process of getting custom shoes, and the 2.5 trigger on my centerfire gun was just twitchy light, with the shoe on it.  

My favorite high master sets his triggers like this, (2.75 for rimfire, and 3.5 plus for his 45....  and he is a pretty good gunsmith, so I generally do things his way.  

It takes a really good gunsmith to set a trigger on a 1911 to 2 pounds.
Frankly for me, the possibility of a malfunction with the trigger that light, is more of a worry, than a heavier trigger.

Last edited by Schaumannk on 12/17/2014, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additions)

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 12/17/2014, 9:02 pm

I  believe it's something each of us must experiment with.  I found the dot became much steadier with a trigger greater than 3 lbs.  I've even got my 208s turned up to about 3.25 lbs.  I found it easier transitioning into CF and 45 by shooting a heavier trigger in the 22.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/18/2014, 9:43 am

My personal best .22 scores (low 880's) were shot with a light, but legal trigger. My personal best aggregate was set using the same weight .22 trigger. My take on it, is if you want your .22 to be a cheap trainer for the CF and .45 matches, then keep your .22 trigger weight consistent with the centerfire pistols. If you want to achieve the best .22 scores that you can, then use the lighter weight trigger.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets 12/18/2014, 10:06 am

Light trigger. 894 my high with kart conversion 2 lb trigger. Trigger by the elder Joe chambers in the mid 80's

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 12/18/2014, 11:28 am

Right now my goals are focused on finishing legging out and getting a pill so I am shooting 4lb triggers with irons on all guns.
It's easier to get better scores with the light trigger but I've still hit a 293 with the 4lb .22 conversion....I had the dot on for the 293....
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down