Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orion Scoring System

5 posters

Go down

Orion Scoring System Empty Orion Scoring System

Post by bufcreek Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:18 pm

is anyone familiar with this? We have been told that the NRA is going to make this mandatory for sectionals and above in the near future. The small bore guys seem to be using it already.

bufcreek

Back to top Go down

Orion Scoring System Empty Re: Orion Scoring System

Post by LenV Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Mandatory requirement would be the end of NRA sanctioned matches in Oregon. I suspect it would be the same in a lot of states. I can just imagine this coming from range management. "You want us to buy what?"

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Who did the telling?
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:15 pm

Saw it used for a air rifle match, requires a $300-400 scanner and software($?).  It scored the targets and did all the stat stuff.  Targets are scanned for score.  Target scanning would work with 50ft bullseye targets but 50yd & 25yd targets are too big to scan so they would scan a special score card instead which would speed up the stat office.

I wonder if this is going to be the NRA's Match Management system?  It has some nice features, has been around for a while and it looks like they are developing new functionality.
https://www.orionscoringsystem.com/orion/AboutOrion.aspx

- Dave

Last edited by dronning on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by bufcreek Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 am

I went to their web site. It really looks like a good system, and for what it does it is not really expensive. I love the idea of not arguing over scores, but I do not like the idea of it not being able to score center fire. It looks like it was made primarily for small bore, and our club is mostly bulls eye. As a club purchase, I really don't think it would break the bank at about $1200. The targets are only slightly more expensive than normal, but as stated, 75 foot targets are a problem. I think the NRA will mandate it for rifle long before pistol.

bufcreek

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am

Our club uses it for small bore matches.  Looking at the equipment, it would not work for Bullseye in general; the scanning area is small.  It would work for the Sectional since you're shooting at the 50 foot targets, but this is the last year I'm running a Sectional, so it would not affect us.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down