Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye?

+4
LenV
Aprilian
10sandxs
PacFltShooter
8 posters

Go down

Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? Empty Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye?

Post by PacFltShooter Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi folks!  I am new here and while I have shot EIC matches before, I have never fired in a 2700 match.  I recently bought a Browing Buckmark Hunter model and was curious as to what you folks think of it's BE capability.  I know people use Buckmarks, but I could not find any references to the hunter model.
Thanks,
Ralph

Last edited by PacFltShooter on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? Empty Re: Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye?

Post by 10sandxs Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:10 pm

You'll be fine, longer sight radius is easier to shoot. At least in theroy ..

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? Empty Re: Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye?

Post by Aprilian Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:17 pm

There's posts galore over on Rimfire Central on how to improve the trigger.  Every time I pull out my Buckmark, it seems my scores go up slightly  Surprised
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:39 pm

I like the Hunter. They have the same frame as Buckmarks from 20+ years ago. That means that the after market stuff all fits. Nills says their grips won't fit the Hunter. That's only kinda true. Less then 5 minutes of work with a pocket knife to relieve the mag release area on the right hand grip (totally out of sight) and they work great. They also shoot little tiny groups.

Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? 20190320
Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? 20190321
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Simple do it yourself spring flip to lighten the trigger to 2.5lbs
https://youtu.be/gwm6BL_H5GY
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:39 am

LenV wrote:I like the Hunter. They have the same frame as Buckmarks from 20+ years ago. That means that the after market stuff all fits. Nills says their grips won't fit the Hunter. That's only kinda true. Less then 5 minutes of work with a pocket knife to relieve the mag release area on the right hand grip (totally out of sight) and they work great. They also shoot little tiny groups.

Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? 20190320
Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? 20190321
Indeed, the frame style was a hugh selling point for me.  I have not fired the pistol a lot since purchase, but it seems to shoot pretty well.  I don't have an issue with it's trigger although it could use an overtravel stop.  I need to find it's favorite load.  Do you dry fire your pistol?  Use snap caps?  I have read where dry firing a Buckmark is not recommended.

Last edited by PacFltShooter on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add another question.)
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:42 am

farmboy wrote:Simple do it yourself spring flip to lighten the trigger to 2.5lbs
https://youtu.be/gwm6BL_H5GY
Thanks for that info.  I believe that I will shoot it some more and break it in good and then see if I need/want to make any modifications.
Ralph
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Clamps Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:42 am

FWIW there are mixed results with doing the 'spring flip'. My experience resulted in the trigger not resetting. I did some slight bending work that worked well. Installing that spring in the reversed flipped position is simple enough. Not so much in the original factory position. 'Fidgety' comes to mind......

Clamps

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:54 am

I started shooting bullseye with a first year ('85) bull barrel version with an Aimpoint 5000 and shot my 1st clean target with it.  I did the spring flip, it worked great for me.  I put a 8" TacSol barrel on it so I could shoot irons better, screwed up the balance, way too light, went back to the stock bull barrel.

My version of the Buckmark could not be dry fired without a plug.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 am

PacFltShooter wrote: it's trigger although it could use an overtravel stop.  I need to find it's favorite load.  Do you dry fire your pistol?  Use snap caps?  I have read where dry firing a Buckmark is not recommended.
Browning used to sell a trigger with a over-travel screw https://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/parts-service/gun-parts-price-list/parts/2013/12-arn-432-buckmark-pistol.pdf  It has been a long time since I purchased one so don't know if they still do.  Easy to replace,
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 am

If you can't find them, let me know, I've got several.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 am

Volquartsen made a hammer and sear spring kit. It workes great. I have it in 3 buckmarks. It was hard to find, but may be still around. Do a search, it will come up maybe under Tandemcross.

The spring flip.... It may or may not work. To me its a hack. Its easier to adjust or tune the spring.
I shoot silhouette with a Buckmark that has aVolquatrsen barrel and 2X scope. Does quite well. My wife shot a 17/40 with it last fall.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:18 am

I'm surprised to hear negative feedback about the spring flip. I am aware of 8 guns it has been done on and all functions fine with no issues just a lighter trigger pull.  But the last one was about 5 years ago.  Maybe it is not a good option on the newer BM's . 

The flip will not clean up a gritty, creepy or inconsistent trigger it just lightens the pull at no cost to the owner.
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 am

I used to use wall anchors for dry firing and somehow still got a slight indent in the chamber. Merck chamber iron cleaned it up and now I just use a strip of the refrigerator magnets which come in the mail.

As to the spring flip, my Field has the adjuster for the spring so a flip doesn’t work on it.   Instead, I found that lightly stoning the frame and mating surfaces had more impact.  Replacing a few pins with better fitting pins also made a difference.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 am

I do not dry fire my Buckmark for the simple reason I have other pistols I can dry fire without using a plug. I did the spring flip on mine. That reduced the weight but it still felt a little gritty. I shoot on Roddy Toyotas .22 cal pistol team so a trigger job got done between matches. Now it feels perfect.

Len

The pistol looks a lot different when shooting against the Oregon State or Corvallis team. Very Happy
Browning Buckmark Hunter for Bullseye? Dscf1013
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:05 pm

Len, 
Those grips are, um, unique.  Yea that’s it unique!  What’s the story on them?
Ralph
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Ralph, I shoot on a team that is from Eugene/Springfield that is Oregon Duck country. I had Andrew from P.T.P.G. make me some colored grips when I found out he could make some any color (except blue) that I wanted. A lot of our matches are at OSU on campus and I love the friendly glares I get. I just had them made for fun. And they also fit.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down