Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black?

+2
TonyH
danhue
6 posters

Go down

Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black? Empty Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black?

Post by danhue Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:06 am

Hi there. Simple newbie question here... Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black?

I train with targets marked as "official", and they have an orange or blue bullseye. I find them easier to "lock on" (with black iron sights) than the black bullseye my club uses. I think they'd be OK with me using my own targets (it's a friendly handicapped league), but I don't want to use something that would not be allowed in an official match.

Technique-wise, I am still trying to figure things out. I started with the 6 O'clock hold, given the contrast issue, but I am not fond of it (hence my question). I am also trying both eyes open, with mixed results. I don't have a red dot yet, but I use one of these stick-on peep sights. I'd be hopeless without that.

Thanks!

danhue

Back to top Go down

Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black? Empty Re: Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black?

Post by TonyH Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:17 am

Here is what the rule book says:

4.1 Official Targets - In NRA Sanctioned competition, only
targets printed by NRA Licensed Manufacturers, bearing the Official
Competition target seal, or military targets issued by the
Armed Services, without modification except as authorized by
NRA, will be used. All NRA Official Competition Targets are
printed by NRA licensed manufacturers only. They may not be
modified by the user or the manufacturer except with specific
written permission from NRA Competitions Division. NRA Target
masters are made using Computer Assisted Design and must
be used in production of all NRA Targets.

All NRA targets used in Precision Pistol have a black bullseye, and the rings that are included in the black portion of the target are specified in the rule book depending on the target.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black? Empty Re: Does the color of the bullseye on an official target have to be black?

Post by danhue Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. My blue and orange targets are from The National Target Co. and have the NRA "Official Competition" seal. I also have some completely black ones, or some with red 10-ring. Besides the bullseye color, they are completely identical. I bought an assortment to try and see if it would make a difference, and that's how I realized I have a slightly easier (less difficult) time with more contrast between the target and the sights.

BTW, the Henry Ford quote is my favorite. My son hates me when I say it to him.

danhue

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Yes.

If you read the complete Section 4 Rules (4.2 through 4.8-) the "black rings" are specified for each target. 

The manufacturers do make target with different color X rings, but there are not for competition (and probably should not have the seal.)  

On the other hand, the color of the bullseye should not be getting any of our attention is anyway..... 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by danhue Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Got it. I'll use up my stock of colored targets and will be sure to only buy black ones going forward.

danhue

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:11 pm

I like mine black... With a ragged hole in the middle!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:00 pm

danhue wrote:.........I find them easier to "lock on" (with black iron sights) than the black bullseye my club uses........
When you have some free time, look up a "SUB 6-O'CLOCK HOLD" and give it a try.

I used to do what you're doing.
The guys here twisted my arm to follow their advice, sub-6 o'clock hold.  
The results were immediately impressive.
I think they were all thinking "told you so!".

You can use it at matches, too.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Danhue wrote:BTW, the Henry Ford quote is my favorite. My son hates me when I say it to him.
Lol! It says it all.....and boy, does it apply to Bullseye!! With stinkin’ thinkin’ bad things happen.....
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by danhue Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 am

I will try the sub-6 o'clock hold. In dry-firing, it seems to help. I found this thread on the forum (https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t10-sub-6-hold), and I can relate with some of the comments. I find that aiming at the bottom of the bull is distracting. It tenses me, and makes me "anxious" somehow, and I think I understand why now. It can make it harder to focus on the sight alignment, and create a greater urge to pull the trigger. I understand that this is not universally true, but it seems to match my short experience.

danhue

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:11 am

mspingeld wrote:I like mine black... With a ragged hole in the middle!

Where do you get those? I've tried to make my own, but it's not easy.  Laughing

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by danhue Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Thank you for all the advice. The sub-6 hold proved to be very helpful. It felt good in dry-firing exercises, and I shot a personal best of 257 in a practice match. I didn't do as well in the real match, but still managed a personal best of 238.

I still have lots of work, but I feel it helped me break a ceiling.

Thanks!

danhue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down