Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Perry First Timer

+16
jglenn21
James Hensler
DA/SA
Slartybartfast
Willfish30
SteveT
james r chapman
brassmaster
valbern67
CR10X
Outthere
TonyH
mspingeld
dronning
lablover
Bheath
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Camp Perry First Timer - Page 3 Empty Camp Perry First Timer

Post by Bheath 4/10/2019, 5:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

I am thinking about going to Camp Perry for the first time.  Can not find what goes on the 7/7-7/12. Do you need to get there on the 6th. there doesn't seem to be a program I can find.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Bheath

Back to top Go down

Camp Perry First Timer - Page 3 Empty Re: Camp Perry First Timer

Post by Bheath 4/23/2019, 5:51 pm

SteveT wrote:
Arthur wrote:If you are in prep almost as soon as you claim your point, do people generally use brass catchers? I do see screens attached to the pistol boxes to keep brass from hitting you.
At Camp Perry I don't break down my brass catcher. When we are called to the line, I take it out of my cart, set it on the bench and adjust the height. It only takes 10-20 seconds. If you feel rushed, don't set it up until after the first slow fire. At Camp Perry they never end SF early and scoring takes a long time so there should be time. Worst case you lose 10 pcs of brass.

I would say around 1/3 of people at Camp Perry use brass catchers. If you don't, expect to lose some of your brass, the grass is often deep and grows as the week goes on.

I don't use a brass catcher on Prelims or 22 day. I lose some brass, but when I'm spending nearly $1,000 to be there, I don't fret over a few dollars worth of brass. 

I have a friend who always uses the brass catcher. It is an alignment aid. If his arm is 1-2" from the brass catcher, he is lined up on the right target. It's part of his process and prevents cross fires.

Bheath

Back to top Go down

Post by Bheath 4/23/2019, 5:52 pm

That dose make sense.

Bheath

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 4/23/2019, 6:10 pm

I’m with Cecil on this. Forget the brass catcher and just decide you’re going to lose brass. It’s not worth the trouble. When I was going to Perry years ago I told myself not to even look for it.  Just leave it in the grass. The incremental cost is lost in the round off error.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 4/23/2019, 8:58 pm

I see cart mentioned.  Any tips or suggestions on a easy cart?
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/24/2019, 5:13 am

lablover wrote:I see cart mentioned.  Any tips or suggestions on a easy cart?
Search “cart”
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 4/24/2019, 5:24 am

You will be asked to pick up your brass.  Do the best you can, but after shooting.  You'll have plenty of time after the slow fire scoring and during all those alibi strings.  And don't forget all that "extra" service brass that might be lying around, but be sure to ask first......

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 4/24/2019, 6:25 am

Be sure to visit the Tin Goose Diner while you're there. Great food. It's attached to The Liberty Air Museum.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 4/24/2019, 4:55 pm

Carts - If I was starting over I'd get a collapsible wagon. Here's one, but they are available from lots of sources. In general, bigger wheels will go over the bumps in the ground better.
https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Outdoor-Utility-Folding-Holders/dp/B01C6D6LUG/ref=asc_df_B01C6D6LUG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198091852785&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14635609489213360900&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016751&hvtargid=pla-350758298876&psc=1

I have a "Dock Cart" similar to this. Again, bigger wheels are better. I've used it for years with no problems, but there are a few minor iritants that would push me to a different solution when it finally dies. The handle should be longer, when trailing behind me it hits my heals. I've extended it with a broom handle, but it could still be better. The other complaint is that it isn't quite long enough for targets to fit in the basket. I put them in diagonally with the corner down, and I've never had them blow away, but it is a fear.
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/11210.htm

You see people with yard carts, baby carriers and rifle shooting wheeled chairs plus an assortment of home built carts including a bicycle trailer.

For what it's worth, many people don't use a cart. most of the time you are only taking 1 or 2 guns and 100-150 rds of ammo, so the boxes aren't that heavy, but you do have to carry your gear a ways. Even if you find a parking space near your range (not easy on second relay) it's 50-100 yards across grass and from the barracks or huts to range 1 is probably 1/4 mile or more.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 4/24/2019, 8:52 pm

Prelim day is worst for lugging equipment but if you're shooting teams and are on relay on opposite ends of the range, its hard without a cart.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3