Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolver in competition , these days ?

+10
cuslog
TonyH
chopper
kjanracing
zanemoseley
LenV
Founder
dronning
Jack H
Al W.
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Revolver in competition , these days ? Empty Revolver in competition , these days ?

Post by Al W. 5/8/2019, 3:59 pm

Hello Bullseye shooters,
 I've been shooting and loading for my 38sp revolvers a bit more lately and I'm having fun.
 My question is , is anyone using revolvers on the long line these days.
 Its long since people have settled on 45ACP as the standard for centerfire , but are there exceptions to the rule ?
 I know I have one pal that shoots at a high level and uses an S&W L frame in 38sp for the long line.
 Any one else ?
 If so what are they using ? L frame ? Colt ?
 I shot this at my club 50 yards off hand with a model 14 . Only the second time I've shot at 50.
 All the usual stuff , 148 gr HBWC , 2.8 BE in a R&P case.
 Anyone else competing with revolver ?
 Revolver in competition , these days ? Img_2011
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Revolver in competition , these days ? Empty Re: Revolver in competition , these days ?

Post by Jack H 5/8/2019, 4:41 pm

The March 1967 issue of GUNS magazine has an interesting article. 
https://gunsmagazine.com/classic-issues/guns-magazine-1967-classic-editions/

I can not imagine that kind of article in todays magazines.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Revolver in competition , these days ? Empty Re: Revolver in competition , these days ?

Post by Al W. 5/8/2019, 5:04 pm

Thats a real blast from the past.
Thats a great resource , thanks for the link.
I think I'll watch some 2700 matches at my club .
I've been told that folks are shooting lots of custom builds.
Mostly 45 ACP for center fire.
I have a M52-2 I shoot my 14 better. Guess I have more time on it.
Still think a 686 is in my future for the 158 gr SWC.
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 5/8/2019, 5:13 pm

Not very many but some do I know of least one that shoots revolver in all 3 matches with a 22, 38 & 45.

- Dave
Advert.  in the March edition 15 days in Portugal and Maderia, round trip airfare, hotel with breakfast, rooms with bath, sightseeing all for $320.  Even in today's dollars ($2,400) it would be a deal.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 5/8/2019, 6:20 pm

I just used my K-38 Target Masterpiece for CF at league the other day. Shot it quite well.

I can shoot 148gr HBWCs with it quite well at 50 yards.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Al W. 5/8/2019, 6:31 pm

Founder wrote:I just used my K-38 Target Masterpiece for CF at league the other day. Shot it quite well.

I can shoot 148gr HBWCs with it quite well at 50 yards.
I've got a K38 4".
My 14 a 6".
So my K stays home .
It needs some throat  work , leads up.
The 14's been worked long before I got it.
Would like something heavier.
But I can't complain. 
If I Ransom rest it , it groups tight.
So its all on me.
My K38 is a great gun. tight as a drum.
The 4" is a classic package, but the 6" puts it in the shade .
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/8/2019, 6:36 pm

148gr for the short line. Shoot 110gr XTP behind 4.2 gr BE for the long line. It will amaze you what that load will do.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 5/8/2019, 7:06 pm

Jack H wrote:The March 1967 issue of GUNS magazine has an interesting article. 
https://gunsmagazine.com/classic-issues/guns-magazine-1967-classic-editions/

I can not imagine that kind of article in todays magazines.

Thanks for the link. Those magazines are awesome. I'm 36 and really feel like I missed the golden age of competitive shooting, nice to see actual articles of substance.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/8/2019, 7:40 pm

Len
Your XTP shooting is that in a Colt or SW?

When I can, I will give XTP a try.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/8/2019, 7:52 pm

Jack, I have 3 S&W that all shoot great with that round. A pair of 14's and a 27. My Bisley likes it also.

Len   (I was in your town today. Stopped at Bi-mart on River Road and picked up primers and more XTP's)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/8/2019, 8:14 pm

LenV wrote:Jack, I have 3 S&W that all shoot great with that round. A pair of 14's and a 27. My Bisley likes it also.

Len   (I was in your town today. Stopped at Bi-mart on River Road and picked up primers and more XTP's)

You were 2 miles away as I was working in my yard, mowing, edging, weed eating. All that enjoyable stuff....

I can shoot a few 38 revolvers
A couple 14 K frame and a 38-44 N frame
Also two Colt OMM.
And a GP100 6" and 4"

The best 50 yard groups I ever shot offhand were with revolvers.  Especially a Colt OMM SAO, and my 1955 Model S&WRevolver in competition , these days ? 45ar_s14
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Al W. 5/8/2019, 8:22 pm

LenV wrote:148gr for the short line. Shoot 110gr XTP behind 4.2 gr BE for the long line. It will amaze you what that load will do.

Len
I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the tip.
I was advised to use the HAP for 9mm, so this is going in that direction.
The jacket will shoot well in my lead prone 15 I think.
Guess that copper sheath needs more powder to get it down the barrel.
Is the 110 gr projectile legal for competition use ?
I thought that the 50yard was limited to the 158 gr bullet.
Also wondering which diameter you are using of the XTP , the .357 ?
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/8/2019, 9:06 pm

Taking your questions not in any particular order. Yes .357. The 110gr is perfectly legal for competition use. Except for DR. Then again the 148gr bullet is not legal for DR either. In the CF match which I think the OP was referring pretty much every weight, shape or covering on a bullet is allowed as long as the bullet is over the minimum caliber. It's not just the more powder needed to get it out the barrel it also needs that extra powder to spin it faster and clear that 6" barrel faster. Both things that really help that load excel.

Len

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/626828/hornady-xtp-bullets-jacketed-hollow-point
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 5/8/2019, 9:24 pm

I shot 280 NMC in last week’s league. Model 14. Single action S and T.
DA for fuego rapido.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/8/2019, 9:50 pm

LenV wrote:Jack, I have 3 S&W that all shoot great with that round. A pair of 14's and a 27. My Bisley likes it also.

Len,

I'm in Oregon and often shop at Bi-mart in Coos Bay and whenever I'm passing through other towns (particularly for 12 & 20 ga shotshells - cheapest source by far). I notice that you linked to a Midway offer on the XTP's. How does Bi-mart compare on price?

I've just started loading for 38 revolver to shoot in Reeves matches - I'd assumed that HBWC was the standard - now you enlighten me to another option. The XTP's should also work nicely in my Mr. Bully / DAA bullet feeder - HBWC bullets are not suitable.

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 5/8/2019, 10:15 pm

Jack H wrote:

You were 2 miles away as I was working in my yard, mowing, edging, weed eating. All that enjoyable stuff....

I can shoot a few 38 revolvers
A couple 14 K frame and a 38-44 N frame
Also two Colt OMM.
And a GP100 6" and 4"

The best 50 yard groups I ever shot offhand were with revolvers.  Especially a Colt OMM SAO, and my 1955 Model S&WRevolver in competition , these days ? 45ar_s14
Jack are those Randall Fungs on your revolver?

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/8/2019, 11:00 pm

radjag wrote:

Len,

I'm in Oregon and often shop at Bi-mart in Coos Bay and whenever I'm passing through other towns (particularly for 12 & 20 ga shotshells - cheapest source by far). I notice that you linked to a Midway offer on the XTP's. How does Bi-mart compare on price?

I've just started loading for 38 revolver to shoot in Reeves matches - I'd assumed that HBWC was the standard - now you enlighten me to another option. The XTP's should also work nicely in my Mr. Bully / DAA bullet feeder - HBWC bullets are not suitable.
Bi-mart has lower prices. There is also no shipping costs. I linked Midway because they have them in stock and I sometimes order from them when they have sales and free shipping.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/8/2019, 11:01 pm

Yes - Fung grips.

That is a 1955 Model made in 1955-1957.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/8/2019, 11:05 pm

Len
Did you leave any XTP at Bi Mart River Road for me? 

I wish I did not have so many commitments.  I could shoot more.  I thought retirement freed up time.......
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/8/2019, 11:47 pm

Yes, a bunch. However, don't expect to find many WSP primers. Very Happy GOOD SHOOTING KURT

My 14's
Revolver in competition , these days ? Dscf1015

And to prove great minds think alike my 25-2. Model of 1955
Revolver in competition , these days ? 20180921
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Al W. 5/9/2019, 6:58 am

You might consider Everglades .
They have a similar bullet  for about 20. dollars a hundred , shipped.
Ive used them as an alternative to HAP.
Do both of you guys use optics ?
Anyone shoot steel sights these days.
I'm told that magnifying  optics are not allowed , but red dot and other non magnifying sights are .
Finally , and now I've hijacked my thread but, can you offer any recommendations  for pistol smiths ?
I seems that I need work on my model 15 and I'd like to see it done correctly.
Revolver techs are few and far between.
I'm on the east coast , in Jersey and North Carolina.
Any leads appreciated !
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 5/9/2019, 7:29 am

I'm told that magnifying  optics are not allowed , but red dot and other non magnifying sights are .
The NRA Pistol Rules, Section 3, will give you the details on both equipment and ammunition that can or cannot be used. Go by the rulebook and not hearsay. Magnifying optics are allowed in the NRA open class, only metallic sights for Distinguished Revolver etc......when in doubt, check the rulebook.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Al W. 5/9/2019, 8:45 am

TonyH wrote:
The NRA Pistol Rules, Section 3, will give you the details on both equipment and ammunition that can or cannot be used. Go by the rulebook and not hearsay. Magnifying optics are allowed in the NRA open class, only metallic sights for Distinguished Revolver etc......when in doubt, check the rulebook.
Thanks for that link , I copied it and will refer to it should the need arise  Very Happy
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by cuslog 5/9/2019, 10:09 am

A revolver could be very competitive in the ISSF center fire match. For the raid fire portion of that match the targets face for 3 seconds, away for 7 seconds X 5 cycles, so a revolver would not be at a dis-advantage.

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/9/2019, 10:20 am

Al W. wrote:You might consider Everglades .
They have a similar bullet  for about 20. dollars a hundred , shipped.
Ive used them as an alternative to HAP.
Do both of you guys use optics ?
Anyone shoot steel sights these days.
Finally , and now I've hijacked my thread but, can you offer any recommendations  for pistol smiths ?
I seems that I need work on my model 15 and I'd like to see it done correctly.
Revolver techs are few and far between.
I'm on the east coast , in Jersey and North Carolina.
Any leads appreciated !
I'm also a newcomer, and am not expert, but most folks seem to prefer tube type red dot sights, with 1" 4moa Ultradots at about $200 most popular, or the much more expensive Aimpoints. The micro reflex sights (I have several Vortex Venoms - similar cost) are another option, but I have recently realised that if you suffer from Astigmatism the dot clarity seems to be better with tube sights.

Regarding gunsmiths, I am very satisfied with Dave Salyer (comes well recommended by others on the forum) who is located in SC. You can contact him via email = salyer at comporium dot net.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next