Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolver in competition , these days ?

+10
cuslog
TonyH
chopper
kjanracing
zanemoseley
LenV
Founder
dronning
Jack H
Al W.
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Revolver in competition , these days ? - Page 2 Empty Revolver in competition , these days ?

Post by Al W. Thu May 09, 2019 4:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello Bullseye shooters,
 I've been shooting and loading for my 38sp revolvers a bit more lately and I'm having fun.
 My question is , is anyone using revolvers on the long line these days.
 Its long since people have settled on 45ACP as the standard for centerfire , but are there exceptions to the rule ?
 I know I have one pal that shoots at a high level and uses an S&W L frame in 38sp for the long line.
 Any one else ?
 If so what are they using ? L frame ? Colt ?
 I shot this at my club 50 yards off hand with a model 14 . Only the second time I've shot at 50.
 All the usual stuff , 148 gr HBWC , 2.8 BE in a R&P case.
 Anyone else competing with revolver ?
 Revolver in competition , these days ? - Page 2 Img_2011
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Revolver in competition , these days ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Revolver in competition , these days ?

Post by desben Fri May 10, 2019 12:52 am

cuslog wrote:A revolver could be very competitive in the ISSF center fire match. For the raid fire portion of that match the targets face for 3 seconds, away for 7 seconds X 5 cycles, so a revolver would not be at a dis-advantage.

Hi, that's what I used to think, and why I had gotten a Model 14 as my first CF gun (for ISSF). But my rapid fire scores went way up when I switched to a semi, it's just easier. Cocking the revolver between shots, even if it's with the non-shooting hand, breaks the wrist/elbow/shoulder alignment and I was hunting for the sights on the way back up. Some are successful, so it's possible that with more practice I could have done wonders. But after the first month with a semi I was scoring better than after 4 years with a revolver... Slow fire is a different story; I shoot a few points higher with the revolver and I feel the Model 14 is inherently more accurate than the CZ 85 I now use.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Revolver in competition , these days ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Revolver in competition , these days ?

Post by oldsalt444 Fri May 10, 2019 1:26 am

Yes, revolvers work!  Back in the day, that's what they used.  I use my K38 for CF.  I shoot it better than my model 52.  I just acquired a model 25 no dash for the 45 match.  So much fun shooting revolvers, and they give up nothing in accuracy.  

Advantages: Alibis are almost non-existent, a 2.5 lb. trigger for 45 vs 3.5 for semiautos, you don't lose brass or chase it all over the firing line, you can load your ammo ridiculously soft and not have to worry about functioning and the triggers are soooo sweet.  

Disadvantage:  You have to learn to thumb the hammer quickly for rapid fire.  With a good grip and a little practice it can be done.  The S&W target hammer is a big plus here. 

For short line - 2.7 WST & 148 HBWC;  Long line - 3.5 Titegroup & 158 Magnus swaged SWC, also a good DR load.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Al W. Fri May 10, 2019 1:37 am

desben wrote:
cuslog wrote:A revolver could be very competitive in the ISSF center fire match. For the raid fire portion of that match the targets face for 3 seconds, away for 7 seconds X 5 cycles, so a revolver would not be at a dis-advantage.

Hi, that's what I used to think, and why I had gotten a Model 14 as my first CF gun (for ISSF). But my rapid fire scores went way up when I switched to a semi, it's just easier. Cocking the revolver between shots, even if it's with the non-shooting hand, breaks the wrist/elbow/shoulder alignment and I was hunting for the sights on the way back up. Some are successful, so it's possible that with more practice I could have done wonders. But after the first month with a semi I was scoring better than after 4 years with a revolver... Slow fire is a different story; I shoot a few points higher with the revolver and I feel the Model 14 is inherently more accurate than the CZ 85 I now use.
The revolver is at a disadvantage if you haven't drilled shooting double action.
If you work double action you can make rapid fire happen I think.
I shoot single action less accurately than I do double action , I find that shooting double action stabilizes the firearm.
At least in my experience.
I shoot in a PPL league and it can work for that .
One of the members has never shot anything other than revolver in that league. He usually scores pretty near the top.
So far I've done better with my High Standard Trophy, which is a classic semi auto 22lr.
I'm no where near as good with my model 14. The light recoil and barrel weights help the Trophy stick to the target.
The only way you can know what the accuracy of your guns is , is to Ransom Rest them.
I took the time to set up the rest in my club and now know that my 14 with the right load will group very well.
Running the gun in DA is another matter. Some folks want a service trigger as they say the target trigger which is wider tends to pull the shot.
That can be controlled though.
Generally I don't have a semi that I enjoy shooting as much as my revolvers . The action of the slide destabilizes the gun.
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri May 10, 2019 1:52 am

No.. SA is the only way to go. Ok, I will admit that is my opinion. Shooting SA it also helps if you have larger hands. Or, have grips on the pistol that allow you to shoot SA without breaking your grip. I read an article one time about a shooter that changed the grips on his pistol between slow fire and the timed fire stages. Since the article mentioned he was a 2600 shooter it must have worked for him.

A "not bad" target shot rapid fire SA with my 25-2
Revolver in competition , these days ? - Page 2 Picasa13
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Al W. Fri May 10, 2019 1:57 am

LenV wrote:No.. SA is the only way to go. Ok, I will admit that is my opinion. Shooting SA it also helps if you have larger hands. Or, have grips on the pistol that allow you to shoot SA without breaking your grip. I read an article one time about a shooter that changed the grips on his pistol between slow fire and the timed fire stages. Since the article mentioned he was a 2600 shooter it must have worked for him.

A "not bad" target shot rapid fire SA with my 25-2
I'm no giant at 5'6" though my hands are medium sized , I haven't drilled the cocking of the hammer with the right thumb  to be fast enough at it to shoot  the RF segment .
I have a couple of folks at my range that only shoot revolver DA.
Not that I see them in competition.
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Fri May 10, 2019 2:13 am

Al, note that my comments pertained to ISSF centre-fire rapid, not NRA rapid. Rising/lowering your arm on every shot. I don't think double-action would help any there.
Regards,
Benoit
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Al W. Fri May 10, 2019 3:00 am

desben wrote:Al, note that my comments pertained to ISSF centre-fire rapid, not NRA rapid. Rising/lowering your arm on every shot. I don't think double-action would help any there.
Regards,
Benoit
Thanks for the clarification.
Al W.
Al W.

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Fri May 10, 2019 3:54 am

Jack H wrote:
The best 50 yard groups I ever shot offhand were with revolvers.  Especially a Colt OMM SAO, and my 1955 Model S&WRevolver in competition , these days ? - Page 2 45ar_s14

Who makes that grip?

That's exactly what I am looking for for my Model 14. (Well, but left handed!)

Thanks!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Revolver in competition , these days ? - Page 2 Empty S&W's 617, 686 & 625

Post by Steven W. Rath Sat May 11, 2019 12:18 am

Yes....Review the  post in "Show me your Bullseye Pistols". It's on page #9 titled "S&W's 617,686 & 625" by Steven Rath 11/8/2017.
Since that post, I have since achieved Sharp Shooter classification with the three revolvers. 
Best long line score was a 188 (98 and 90) with the 617 on April 28th, 2018 at MCGC (Orangeburg SC).
Short line (Timed and Rapid) is single action with the first shot and the rest double action. 
I hope this helps.
Steve

Steven W. Rath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2