Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

+9
Mike38
LenV
Jon Eulette
mpolans
tray999
oldsalt444
Jack H
NuJudge
Damend
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Empty Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

Post by Damend Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 am

Hello, I could use some guidance in selecting a 22 pistol. The title says it all. I’ve been going to bullseye practice for a little while an would like to get more serious about it. I currently have a ruger MKIV 22/45 but I’d like to invest in a solid platform that won’t cause too much fuss. Currently I’m considering builder a Custom standard MKIV because I’m familiar to the platform but I am open to anything. Im attracted to the grip angle of the Pardini’s and Walther GSP’S and such but I really don’t know much about them and I won’t be able to get down to my club for at least another month to ask them for advice. My budget is $1500. Any insights are welcome. Thank you.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Empty Re: Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

Post by NuJudge Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 am

Just about any quality pistol is going to shoot very well from a Ransom rest.  
What do you shoot well?  Much will follow from that.  
Can you thumb-cock a revolver fast enough for rapids?  If not, don't look at those.  
Do give some thought to whether parts & service will be available for the foreseeable future.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Empty Re: Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

Post by Jack H Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Where in Oregon are you?
We have a great pistolsmith in Springfield. 

Might I suggest a Springfield Range Officer 45.  Add a Nelson conversion.  Upgrade the RO trigger with a KC hammer and sear and a couple spring changes to Colt sear spring and 18-19 pound hammer spring (and regular MSH pins)
I did all this to a Range Officer and am very pleased.  Another unconverted RO I have has an excellent crisp trigger as is.  That trigger is good enough for now.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I've heard that the ergonomics of the GSP are so good that shooters will pick up 20-30 points in a 900 match.  I don't own one, so I can't validate that claim, but I have seen others improve with it.  If I can't get my Benelli running again, then I would certainly consider the GSP.   Right now, my Model 41 will do just fine.  It is an older one from 1958, when S&W took pride in their work.  The new ones, even from the Performance Center have a reputation for slipshod quality.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by tray999 Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 pm

I would suggest a Ruger Mark IV Target with a Volquartsen Pistol Competition Kit installed and a good quality red dot installed on top.   Buy five or six extra magazines and a brick or two of good 22 target ammo and start working on your shooting!!!!    This pistol will get you to master, I know, I have seen it done......
tray999
tray999

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 pm

If you want the best, keep an eye out for a used Pardini SP Bullseye...still tough to do for $1500, but doable at $2000.  If you want something more flexible and a close second, I'd get a Springfield Range Officer in .45acp and a Nelson .22 conversion with the combo rail and pay someone to do a trigger job...if you're planning on shooting centerfire and .45 event, have the gunsmith fit a new barrel bushing too.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm also located in Oregon. I have an older Walther GSP 22 fitted with Rink medium grip and an Ultradot mount which I am about to advertise for sale. I used it quite successfully for my first four 2700 competitions earlier this year. It will be well below your budget.

I also have a matching GSP in 32SWL with Rink grip and Ultradot mount is also for sale.

They are both quite reliable (as long as you keep them clean!) and I have shot many clean 100 short line targets with them.

Please PM me your contact details if you are interested.

I will be at the EEGC 2700 in Springfield on 28Jul19 and also the TCGC 2700 in Sherwood on 17Aug19.

Jack H mentions the excellent Bullseye gunsmith in Springfield OR. I second that statement, Roddy is really helpful, very experienced and does great work.

Back to top Go down

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Empty Thanks

Post by Damend Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have to check my setting because I didn’t realize I had any.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Jack H wrote:Where in Oregon are you?
We have a great pistolsmith in Springfield. 

Might I suggest a Springfield Range Officer 45.  Add a Nelson conversion.  Upgrade the RO trigger with a KC hammer and sear and a couple spring changes to Colt sear spring and 18-19 pound hammer spring (and regular MSH pins)
I did all this to a Range Officer and am very pleased.  Another unconverted RO I have has an excellent crisp trigger as is.  That trigger is good enough for now.
Thanks for the reply. I’m in the Medford area. I’m real hesitant to go the 1911 route because I don’t know much about them and have never had one. Also I feel like I would prefer a grip angle that allows me to break my wrist over more. But I am open to whatever.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:35 pm

tray999 wrote:I would suggest a Ruger Mark IV Target with a Volquartsen Pistol Competition Kit installed and a good quality red dot installed on top.   Buy five or six extra magazines and a brick or two of good 22 target ammo and start working on your shooting!!!!    This pistol will get you to master, I know, I have seen it done......
 Interesting. I’m on a list to possibly get a TacSol 8.5” MKIV upper. How are the accuracy of the TacSol barrels?

I was able to have a nice long conversation with Roddy Toyota today. What a great guy. I’m so wet behind the ears, i didn’t realize you can’t even have an 8” barrel. Glad he straightened me out.

Last edited by Damend on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : You can’t use 8” barrels for bullseye.)

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:40 pm

mpolans wrote:If you want the best, keep an eye out for a used Pardini SP Bullseye...still tough to do for $1500, but doable at $2000.  If you want something more flexible and a close second, I'd get a Springfield Range Officer in .45acp and a Nelson .22 conversion with the combo rail and pay someone to do a trigger job...if you're planning on shooting centerfire and .45 event, have the gunsmith fit a new barrel bushing too.
How much total investment is that? I will probably want to do centerfire later but only 22lr for now.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 pm

I wouldn't break the bank as a new BE shooter. Get the lust for the sport before spending big bucks.
I think one of the best 22's out there is a HS military model. They are accurate and typically have great triggers. Learn how to shoot it well then upgrade. 
A 22 conversion on 1911 frame is another great option. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 pm

M
You can't go wrong with a 22/45 Ruger. There are a Bazillion after mkt improvements you can do yourself or have it done for you. On the right model you can put every 1911 grip ever made with 2 minutes of work with your pocket knife. Lucky for you they are not hard to find. Make your way over to the "Sportsman's Warehouse" on Waters road and check out this model.  www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/ruger-mark-iv-2245-22-long-rifle-55in-blued-pistol-101-rounds/p/1474135

They even have a gunsmith on site to answer questions. 369.99 and go shooting.

NFI
Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Ruger-mark-iv-2245-pistol-1474135-1
My MkIII after some after mkt goodies.
Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  11510
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Another option might be a Benelli MP90.  Raked grip angle that you prefer, super accurate, great adjustable trigger, and can be converted to 32 S&W Long for centerfire like a Pardini.  Probably in your price range for the .22 cal.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Damend, first and foremost, buy a .22 that you can get repair parts for. Many good suggestions here, but check parts availability before you take the plunge. As it stands now, there are no parts available for Benelli, but may be by years end. They are great pistols, I have two. But at this point, all I have are matching bookends. Both need repairs, no parts available. High Standard? Good luck. IZH35M, I had two, sold them for a major loss, no parts available. As for older European target pistols, I'm not sure, but make certain parts are available in the USA. If you're just getting your feet wet in Bullseye, there is nothing wrong with a Ruger. At least you can find parts. Good luck!
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Damend wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I’m in the Medford area. I’m real hesitant to go the 1911 route because I don’t know much about them and have never had one. Also I feel like I would prefer a grip angle that allows me to break my wrist over more. But I am open to whatever.

Grip angle solved.  This is one of my best guns.  A lowly Sport King High Standard 103 with an LSP Alumalite barrel.     Or with a Houston 10X barrel and Citation slide for iron sights.   Either combination works great.  The Sport King trigger is fantastic as HS triggers usually are.  Be it known, I have an extra HS SK laying around. 

I also like the down angle of the wrist.  I believe it helps firm the wrist.  And all those Europeans just might be right.

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Hs_911
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 am

The Government model Rugers will give the grip angle you want also. Browning another good choice. The Browning and the MkIV are both available locally. There are not many add on's available yet for the MkIV's but Browning models like the "Hunter" have years of parts that fit.

MkIV, MKII and a Buckmark
Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  20190125

Nills grips on the hunter give the angle you want.
Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  20190326
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:26 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I wouldn't break the bank as a new BE shooter. Get the lust for the sport before spending big bucks.
I think one of the best 22's out there is a HS military model. They are accurate and typically have great triggers. Learn how to shoot it well then upgrade. 
A 22 conversion on 1911 frame is another great option. 
Jon
Jon, thanks for the input. I may go with a custom tuned ruger mk ii at this point, after discussing some options at depth with someone who knows.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:28 am

Thanks tray, will do 👍
tray999 wrote:I would suggest a Ruger Mark IV Target with a Volquartsen Pistol Competition Kit installed and a good quality red dot installed on top.   Buy five or six extra magazines and a brick or two of good 22 target ammo and start working on your shooting!!!!    This pistol will get you to master, I know, I have seen it done......

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:29 am

Sounds like great advice, thanks!
Mike38 wrote:Damend, first and foremost, buy a .22 that you can get repair parts for. Many good suggestions here, but check parts availability before you take the plunge. As it stands now, there are no parts available for Benelli, but may be by years end. They are great pistols, I have two. But at this point, all I have are matching bookends. Both need repairs, no parts available. High Standard? Good luck. IZH35M, I had two, sold them for a major loss, no parts available. As for older European target pistols, I'm not sure, but make certain parts are available in the USA. If you're just getting your feet wet in Bullseye, there is nothing wrong with a Ruger. At least you can find parts. Good luck!

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:32 am

Wow, nice 👌
Jack H wrote:
Damend wrote:

Grip angle solved.  This is one of my best guns.  A lowly Sport King High Standard 103 with an LSP Alumalite barrel.     Or with a Houston 10X barrel and Citation slide for iron sights.   Either combination works great.  The Sport King trigger is fantastic as HS triggers usually are.  Be it known, I have an extra HS SK laying around. 

I also like the down angle of the wrist.  I believe it helps firm the wrist.  And all those Europeans just might be right.

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Hs_911

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:34 am

I started out with a mkii gov't Ruger. Loved it and kick myself for getting rid of it. PB with that gun was 889.
You can get a really good trigger pull on it by someone who knows what they're doing. Not a bad choice by any means.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:59 am

You weren’t the only one to tell me that today Jon. I really appreciate the advice, thanks.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:27 am

Damend wrote:
mpolans wrote:If you want the best, keep an eye out for a used Pardini SP Bullseye...still tough to do for $1500, but doable at $2000.  If you want something more flexible and a close second, I'd get a Springfield Range Officer in .45acp and a Nelson .22 conversion with the combo rail and pay someone to do a trigger job...if you're planning on shooting centerfire and .45 event, have the gunsmith fit a new barrel bushing too.
How much total investment is that? I will probably want to do centerfire later but only 22lr for now.
If you shop around for a used Range Officer, about $600. Nelson or Marvel kit $400-500. Used red Ultradot, $150. Drop in trigger job parts kit, $150.  So for .22, $1300-1400.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:49 am

Shop around, it's worth the time it takes. I set up a Ruger MkII recently (see pic) and here's what I have into it.

Pistol, found at a pawn shop in Wisconsin. New, yes new. $250
Aftermarket rear target sight (Merit I think) had on hand.
Volquartzen sear and hammer. Had on hand.
Volquartzen adjustable trigger. $25 new, closeout sale. 
Herrett's Nationals grips. $50 new, closeout sale.

So for $325 I have a .22 that will get me to Master if I would do my part. Total cost for this pistol with all new
parts, nothing on hand, would be around $600.
Attachments
Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  Attachment
IMG_0902[971].jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(54 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next