Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

+9
Mike38
LenV
Jon Eulette
mpolans
tray999
oldsalt444
Jack H
NuJudge
Damend
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  - Page 2 Empty Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

Post by Damend 7/11/2019, 3:38 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello, I could use some guidance in selecting a 22 pistol. The title says it all. I’ve been going to bullseye practice for a little while an would like to get more serious about it. I currently have a ruger MKIV 22/45 but I’d like to invest in a solid platform that won’t cause too much fuss. Currently I’m considering builder a Custom standard MKIV because I’m familiar to the platform but I am open to anything. Im attracted to the grip angle of the Pardini’s and Walther GSP’S and such but I really don’t know much about them and I won’t be able to get down to my club for at least another month to ask them for advice. My budget is $1500. Any insights are welcome. Thank you.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

Post by dronning 7/13/2019, 12:19 pm

Personally I'd stay with the Ruger, all you need is a better trigger and you have a gun that can easily take you to Master.

If you start shooting a 1911** get it set up correctly with a good trigger, etc... then opt for a Nelson conversion.  Put in a full length guide rod to make it easy to swap the conversion & 45 slides (the spring will stay in the 45 slide).  The benefit of this is you will be using the same platform (& trigger) for 22, CF & 45. At some point get a dedicated lower for the 22 then you can lighten up the trigger.  There are a lot of positives shooting the same platform for the whole match.

If you have your heart set on a Euro gun save up for a Pardini Bullseye edition with the heavier bolt.  Used ones can be found for around $2K.  Make your mind up if you want one or not (and your budget) because when they come up for sale they don't last long.  
- Dave

**1911, find a used Bullseye gun already set up or as stated in previous post go the Range Officer route.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Im new to bullseye, I could use some help selecting a 22 pistol platform to invest in.

Post by gregbenner 7/13/2019, 12:50 pm

Lots of great advice here. I started collecting 22 target pistols a few years ago, now have at least one of everything mentioned so far on this thread, plus several others, including most of the Euro style “Olympic” models.  If you are in the neighborhood of San Diego you could see and shoot any of them. Most of them have right hand medium size orthopedic grips, if that works. 

For what it’s worth, I don’t find any brand more accurate than another, they will all shoot X ring with the right ammo. I do find a significant difference in the triggers and ergonomics. And reliability.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 7/13/2019, 3:09 pm

Not the one I am selling but there is a Hammerli 280 on gun broker right now with a buy it now at 1300.
A lot of shooters use some type of conversion but match after match they are the alibis guys! Every string one of them raises their hands
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 7/13/2019, 7:13 pm

I have been shooting bullseye for 30+ years and have used High Standard, Ruger, Bakail, S&W 41, and Nelson on 1911 frame. Mechanical accuracy (from a rest) is very similar on all of these pistols but I can shoot the 41 much better than the others. The High Standard is very close but reliable magazines are a real problem these days. I love the Nelson 1911 combo and use it for speed events such as steel challenge but for bullseye, the 7" 41 is my go-to pistol. Have to admit I have not tried a Pardini so cannot express an opinion.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 7/13/2019, 8:00 pm

I do have a 6” inch Sp and Hp Pardini and it is flawless
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend 7/15/2019, 2:49 pm

Wow, thanks for that. I have settled on going a similar route. Roddy Toyota is going to hook me up. 👍

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend 7/15/2019, 2:56 pm

I really appreciate all the comments. Thanks everyone.

Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2