Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green circle dot?

5 posters

Go down

Green circle dot? Empty Green circle dot?

Post by javaduke 9/12/2019, 9:17 am

I just came across this new red dot: https://swampfoxoptics.com/liberator
Wondering if a green circle with dot reticle would have any advantage over a traditional red dot. It seems like the green would have a better visibility in a bright sunlight conditions and the circle would be a good addition to "circle inside the circle inside the circle" pattern. What do you guys think?

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Green circle dot? Empty Re: Green circle dot?

Post by -TT- 9/12/2019, 9:42 am

javaduke wrote:I just came across this new red dot: https://swampfoxoptics.com/liberator
Wondering if a green circle with dot reticle would have any advantage over a traditional red dot. It seems like the green would have a better visibility in a bright sunlight conditions and the circle would be a good addition to "circle inside the circle inside the circle" pattern. What do you guys think?

I think red versus green is going to depend on your eye and how sensitive you are to each color. Red can be harder to pick up with old eyes so you may have to increase the brightness less with green. But you'll also get less contrast, perhaps.

Big thing I see is the circle is spec'd to be 65MOA! That is kind of huge, at 50 yards that will be bigger than the whole B6 target. Not very helpful, if so.

Interesting sight though. Basically an Aimpoint clone.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/12/2019, 9:46 am

There are lots of multi-reticule dot sights out there. Although most that I've seen are reflex rather than tube style. Such as this Tru-Glow:-
https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-Dual-Color-Multi-Reticle-Open-Sight/dp/B07DGX5QBL
I've found such sights on markets in Asia for as little as $20 and have got them on my Air Pistol and single shot 22. Most of them are coming from a couple of makers in China and are cheap knock-offs of the expensive brand name sights (which are also now mostly contract manufactured in similar factories in China - or elsewhere in Asia - Vortex are in the Philippines).

I've not tried a comparison in bright sunlight or other extreme light conditions, but in casual testing mostly indoors I've found that the other reticules become a bit of a distraction and I prefer the simple dot for precision pistol.

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 9/12/2019, 9:50 am

My eyes are old indeed (almost as old as I am Smile ) and in order to see a red dot I have to crank up the brightness, which turns the dot into a comet or starfish shape because of my astigmatism. I was hoping that with green dot I would see less of a comet and more of a round dot.
Well, the price is not crazy, I might just give it a shot and report back when I have tested it.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 9/12/2019, 9:55 am

javaduke wrote:My eyes are old indeed (almost as old as I am Smile ) and in order to see a red dot I have to crank up the brightness, which turns the dot into a comet or starfish shape because of my astigmatism. I was hoping that with green dot I would see less of a comet and more of a round dot.
Well, the price is not crazy, I might just give it a shot and report back when I have tested it.

The spec says the central dot is 3MOA even for the circle version, so I guess it'll work either way! Keep us posted.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/12/2019, 11:32 am

I’ve found that these “circle dot” reticles better on carbines but to each their own. I believe the green dots were developed for NVG use. One advantage green has is that you can see it with lower power as eyes are more sensitive to green.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 9/13/2019, 10:43 am

javaduke wrote:My eyes are old indeed (almost as old as I am Smile ) and in order to see a red dot I have to crank up the brightness, which turns the dot into a comet or starfish shape because of my astigmatism. I was hoping that with green dot I would see less of a comet and more of a round dot.

I have the same issues exactly, but I don't think a change in color will make a difference. I hope it does so keep us posted.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 9/19/2019, 9:26 pm

Well, I received the sight yesterday and installed on my .22 Nelson and tried it this afternoon at the range. First of all, my theories were proven wrong. It is not easier to see over a well lit target than a red dot, in fact it is even slightly less visible, but still very discernible. Second, the circle is abut the same size as the width of the full case of the target, so it doesn't help much to keep the dot at the center of the bullseye.
Still, the dot is very usable, it is really well made, the base is solid, the adjustments are precise and clicks feel very solid. After initial adjustment I was dead on target and was able to call all my shots (one of the 50 yd targets was 95 with three 9's and one 8 ). So it's a keeper. And the price is very reasonable.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 9/19/2019, 9:34 pm

Oh, and BTW the dot in the center was nowhere near 3MOA, it looked even smaller than any of my 2MOA dots - but I see it as an advantage, it allows me to be more precise with aiming.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 9/20/2019, 6:28 am

I find red easier to see than green. Could be just me. Tried different reticles. They just clutter the sight picture. I have a couple with multiple reticles. One has different size dots. I changed dot sizes before a match on my Victor. a
All shots were 1.5" high @ 50 feet. I now use an Ultradot or Burris FF III and One Tijicon SRO. Building a new Bullseye gun from a Gold Cup. Its getting Accurails, Kart barrel and milled for an SRO.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down