Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

+6
mikemyers
Wobbley
james r chapman
Oleg G
cdrt
smsnyder
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? Empty Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 3:03 pm

Yep i had to buy one. I guess i am a purest since i worked on colt 1911 in Vietnam. Just like everything about the pistol. Any thing i need to know about this pistol since its been 50 years that a i worked on them? Thanks a bunch guys.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? Empty Re: Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

Post by cdrt 10/4/2019, 3:23 pm

If you take it completely apart, watch out for the sear depressor and spring.  Piece of cake to remove, real pain to reinstall.  Also, check out the back underside of the slide.  Some had some metal removed so you can see the extractor in it's channel.  Mine is like that so I have always stuck to light loads.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? Empty Re: Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 3:26 pm

Called colt it was built june 2019. Only got one magazine. That sucks.  What after market options due you suggest? Might change out the wood grips for G10 grips. Wood on the gun is to pretty. I also have to get use to shooting a front and rear black sight. What ammo should i shoot out of this pistol? I don't reload.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 3:58 pm

I notice that many 1911 have fiber optic front sights. Is there a reason why the Colt Gold Cup National Match has black rear and black front sights?

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 4:12 pm

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? 20191010

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 5:50 pm

Shot by new pistol tonight. What a beauty. Only problem I can't see the front sight because its black. The front sight is dove tailed in. What options do I have with the front sight? Anyone make a fiber optic front sight for the colt gold cup national match?

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 10/4/2019, 6:42 pm

Pure black sights are best for precision shooting. Therefore, if you goal is to learn to shoot well one-handed at 25 and 50 yards (not feet) and, perhaps, take part in precision pistol competitions, you need to learn to shoot these plain black iron sights. Many shooters adopt a so-called six-o'clock, or sub-six-o'clock hold (at the bottom or even below the black bullseye) to see the sight alignment clearly.

If, on the other hand, you have no interest in precision pistol shooting, but are instead interested in defensive shooting or defensive type competition shooting (IDPA, IPSC), you should replace the black iron front sight with a fiber-optic one. The fiber front sight is better suited for faster target acquisition. The fiber sight, will NOT give you a more precise sight alignment than the iron one, but it will help you to pick up the sights faster, which is the primary goal in defensive shooting and related competitions.

A quick Google search, resulted in this option, I am sure that other are available as well:

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-colt-gold-cup-series-80-fiber-optic-front-sights/

Good luck.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 6:47 pm

Thanks   Oeg G. Never knew that. VERY GOOD ADVICE.  That link you gave me is for an 80 series. Mine is a current made 70 series with a front sight slot.

Last edited by smsnyder on 10/4/2019, 7:23 pm; edited 3 times in total

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 10/4/2019, 6:50 pm

Well, call Dawson Precision (good company) and ask them, if they make a sight for Series 70. Else, do a google search for your exact pistol. I simply gave you a tool, it's up to you to use it.

Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/4/2019, 7:13 pm

Here’s what you need.

Accurails to tighten it up
Kart ezyfit and bushing to tighten it up
Harrison designs ignition system
Gnarly Joes Gnarly Gryps
Clark rail
Accupoint 9000

When done you’ll have a Springfield Armory Range officer quality gun.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 7:16 pm

Now thats funny. Allmost bought a range officer but its made in Brazil . Sounds almost like the power floor mats and muffler bearings i included with a car purchase. LOL

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/4/2019, 7:21 pm

Nothing wrong with guns made in Brazil...I have Tauri in my carry list.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/4/2019, 7:24 pm

smsnyder wrote:Shot by new pistol tonight. What a beauty.  Only problem I can't see the front sight because its black. The front sight is dove tailed in. What options do I have with the front sight? Anyone make a fiber optic front sight for the colt gold cup national match?
Tip - if you line up the black sight in front of the black rear sight, aimed at the black target, you are going to struggle.

Instead, aim at a spot on the target a little lower than the large black circle, and you will have your black sights aimed at the white paper.  Much easier.  Now, adjust your elevation control so the shots go higher, and eventually are centered around the Bullseye.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/4/2019, 7:26 pm

smsnyder wrote:Now thats funny. Allmost bought a range officer but its made in Brazil .......
My Springfield Armory gun was made in Brazil.  Dave Salyer told me they used excellent steel, making it easy to machine the gun to make it suitable for Bullseye.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 7:28 pm

Great advice guys.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 7:31 pm

If a black sight is so accurate why due you guys use red dot tube sights for bullseye shooting? I guess there even more accurate. I assume there is a different class in the pistols you use. Optics vs iron sights.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/4/2019, 7:35 pm

Earl, I guess you should have asked Springfield Armory where the Range Officers are made. Bet they would have told you Illinois.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 7:38 pm

Just googled it  Springfield frames are made in Brazil and sent to the US. Some of there pistols are all made in Brazil.  A large gun shop also told me that. No big thing though.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 7:50 pm

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? Backwa10

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 10/4/2019, 7:52 pm

In regards to irons and dots, yes two categories metallic (irons)  and open (optics). Red dots are "easier" in some ways as you can visualize the precise spot of impact (assuming proper zero), but can cause some people issues, as it is easier to see how much the sights actually move. Irons are a bit more light sensitive than dots.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/4/2019, 7:53 pm

smsnyder wrote:If a black sight is so accurate why due you guys use red dot tube sights for bullseye shooting? I guess there even more accurate. I assume there is a different class in the pistols you use. Optics vs iron sights.
Neither is "more accurate".  Some people have "old eyes" and can't see the steel sights as clearly as when they were younger.  Red dot sights make it easier.

Which is more accurate depends on the shooter.  

Red dots are easier - just put the dot where you want, and pull the trigger without disturbing the gun.  Steel sights (for me) work as well as my ability to line the sights up properly.

If you have good eyes, learn how to use steel sights first.  Get glasses so you see the FRONT sight clear and sharp, and if the rear sights and the target are blurry, that's fine.
Don't think about anything other than FRONT SIGHT.  Lots of great advice in these forums as to do that.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/4/2019, 7:56 pm

smsnyder wrote:Yep i had to buy one. I guess i am a purest since i worked on colt 1911 in Vietnam. Just like everything about the pistol. Any thing i need to know about this pistol since its been 50 years that a i worked on them? Thanks a bunch guys.
How many hands are you holding the gun with?  One, or two?

If you're doing what you did long ago, that's probably two-hand shooting?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 7:58 pm

You guys are wonderful and fun, Heck at 68 i am still learning. I want to get into some type of competition shooting this fall indoors. I HATE WINTER AND SNOW.  I like shooting at steel but at my age i can't run around to much for steel chellenge competition. Bad hips, just got over throat cancer from agent orange exposure. Not allways feeling well.

Last edited by smsnyder on 10/4/2019, 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/4/2019, 7:59 pm

?????     Do you ever shoot one handed?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 8:02 pm

Yes i tried shooting one handed. Its tuff. Wobble all over the place. LOL

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next