Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

+6
mikemyers
Wobbley
james r chapman
Oleg G
cdrt
smsnyder
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? - Page 2 Empty Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 3:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yep i had to buy one. I guess i am a purest since i worked on colt 1911 in Vietnam. Just like everything about the pistol. Any thing i need to know about this pistol since its been 50 years that a i worked on them? Thanks a bunch guys.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? - Page 2 Empty Re: Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

Post by mikemyers 10/4/2019, 8:10 pm

That's perfectly normal when you start - I had the same problem.  It just takes a lot of practice and dry-fire.

It's pointless to buy a good Bullseye gun intended for Bullseye competition if you're not going to shoot Bullseye.  I think the rules allow people to start off with two hands, but it's up to you how dedicated you are going to be at doing things "by the rules".  The good thing is there is NO "running around".  You stand in one spot.  

First step is learning to just hold the gun up.  Ignore the wobble.  Over time, the wobble constantly improves.   But none of this applies unless you're making the decision to shoot one handed, have a few changes made to your gun (recoil spring), and find a source of light target ammunition, or make it yourself.  Lots of effort.  Only you can decide how serious you are.  

Next time you go to the range with your gun, take a photo of the target, then come back here and post it, along with notes as to what ammo you were using, and how far away from the target you were.   If you're serious about Bullseye, shoot from 7 yards, if that's what it takes, one handed.  You're 68.  I'm 75.  If you set your mind to it, and accept that it takes time, go for it.

I'll stop here - there are lots of wonderful people here who can and will help you, but you need to do your part.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? - Page 2 Empty Re: Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question?

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 8:14 pm

THanks Great Advice

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 10/4/2019, 8:22 pm

Hi mikemyers wrote:?????     Do you ever shoot one handed?
Dejavu
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 8:29 pm

THANKS A BUNCHFor a 2700 aggregate this match is fired once with each gun; .22 caliber rimfire, centerfire, and .45 caliber. Many match programs call for only one or two guns, that is a 900 or 1800 aggregate. Most indoor tournaments are fired with .22 caliber rimfire only for a 900 aggregate. However, some indoor matches use all guns for a complete 2700 aggregate.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 8:31 pm

The 2700 aggregate makes me tired thinking about it. I have to eat my Wheaties before i attempt that.  LOL

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 10/4/2019, 8:48 pm

Just bought Colt Gold Cup National Match 70 series 45 caliber. Question? - Page 2 57c55b10

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 10/8/2019, 10:30 am

smsnyder wrote:Yes i tried shooting one handed. Its tuff. Wobble all over the place. LOL

Yep.  You're shooting Bullseye now.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac 10/9/2019, 11:04 pm

The new series 70 Gold Cups are fine pistols.  Learn to shoot it with the original sights.  Once you get on the target you can consider getting an accuracy job done on it.  As is it’ll get you pretty far as it will outshoot you! If you are not confident of its ability, find a local range that can set it in a Ransom Rest and check it out with your Ammo.  At this point, the most I would do is get a competent smith set up your trigger to 3.5 lbs if you plan to continue using it for Bullseye Competition shooting, you could even add a rail to mount a red dot if you wish to.   If you plan to shoot service pistol, or EIC keep the trigger at 4 lbs.  FYI Dave Salyer is a great Smith to get you set up right and he’s quick and reasonable.  If you’re having difficulty with seeing the sites, check out Art Neergard at shootingsight.com.

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2