Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Define "chicken finger"

+4
mspingeld
Wobbley
Ray Dash
xman
8 posters

Go down

Define "chicken finger" Empty Define "chicken finger"

Post by xman Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:29 am

I have seen it referred to a lot in the forum but not defined. I dont know if I have it or not.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Define "chicken finger" Empty Re: Define "chicken finger"

Post by Ray Dash Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:13 am

To me its where you feel like your are pulling the trigger with a lot of force but it's not moving.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 am

Chicken finger is looking at a sure 10 but then not firing so you can “dress it up a little more” and get an X. Problem is the hold deteriorates so fast so you jerk the shot into the 8.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 am

Chicken finger and jerking the trigger are terms to describe common difficulties shooters have in manipulating the trigger "correctly". They are opposites. Jerking is when the shooter sees the sights/dot where he wants it and pulls the trigger way too fast, trying to snatch that X, invariably moving the gun in the process. This usually results in shots low & left for a right handed shooter. Chicken finger is when the shooter is squeezing the trigger slowly while trying to keep the sights centered but the shot never goes. He thinks the trigger weighs 10 lbs or that there's got to be something wrong with the gun but, in reality, he's not moving the trigger at all. The desired trigger pull is a constantly moving trigger, a constant building of pressure until the gun goes bang. It requires practice and discipline and, perhaps most importantly, an ability to accept the movement of the sights and still gradually increase that pressure. Fact: the sights move, for new shooters and high masters.

Trigger manipulation is, perhaps the most important of the fundamentals and the hardest to perfect. Never give up!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:00 pm

For me it's a component of recoil anticipation. Your brain knows what is going to happen when you pull the trigger and really doesn't want to pull it, meanwhile you're trying to pull the trigger smoothly without jerking the trigger. It's really fun when you get it on the first shot or two of rapid fire then you're playing catch up the rest of the time because you wasted precious seconds trying to get the trigger moving. It's nearly always with larger calibers.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:18 pm

The trigger weighs 30 pounds. Trying too hard. Never happens during dry fire. 

Best 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:47 pm

For me it is the difference between my ears the speed of the trigger in dry fire and much slower speed in live fire.

"Chicken" as in, I can't commit to my process.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Aprilian wrote:For me it is the difference between my ears the speed of the trigger in dry fire and much slower speed in live fire.

"Chicken" as in, I can't commit to my process.
Sounds familiar!
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down