Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a clip-on lenses

+5
CR10X
WesG
Wobbley
DA/SA
javaduke
9 posters

Go down

Looking for a clip-on lenses Empty Looking for a clip-on lenses

Post by javaduke 10/21/2019, 12:47 pm

Yesterday I saw one of our shooters wearing an interesting clip-on lenses device. It had two small round lenses on a shaft that would clip onto the eyeglasses temple shaft, and could be adjusted so that it is centered over the pupil. Not sure if I described it properly. Does anyone know who made those?

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Looking for a clip-on lenses Empty Re: Looking for a clip-on lenses

Post by DA/SA 10/21/2019, 1:04 pm

One example

http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx?p=categoryBody&c=OPEYCH
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 10/21/2019, 1:07 pm

Yes, I know about these glasses, this is not what I saw yesterday. This is an entire glasses system (which may be not a bad option), what I saw was just a small lens in a holder similar to the Champ Choice lens holder, but sitting on a shaft that clipped on to regular prescription glasses frame temple.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/21/2019, 1:31 pm

What you probably saw was something like this.Looking for a clip-on lenses 57c10c10

The one shown here has two lenses and are much more powerful than needed.

There was a company that sold them with diopter suitable for pistol shooting called ClearSight. I don’t think they’re still in business.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 10/21/2019, 1:34 pm

Yes, exactly! Ah, so that's ClearSight, I just saw that someone else is looking for the parts at the Commercial forum.
Wow, looks like all business that were making cool stuff for shooters are out of business...very sad...

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 10/21/2019, 1:55 pm

Looks like a watchmakers loop. I think they call them a 'loop', anyway.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 10/21/2019, 1:59 pm

WesG wrote:Looks like a watchmakers loop. I think they call them a 'loop', anyway.
Bingo! http://www.ofrei.com/page383.html
I suppose lens holders can be replaced or different lenses made to fit these.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/21/2019, 2:01 pm

That picture is not a ClearSight.
CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 10/21/2019, 4:21 pm

I make single lenses that are a clip-on that clip on to the top of your glasses.  These were very well received at Camp Perry.  Typically, pistol shooters, shooting irons, will want to add +0.75 to their distance prescription glasses.

Flip Lenses

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight

Last edited by shootingsight on 8/13/2022, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 10/21/2019, 5:04 pm

shootingsight wrote:I make single lenses that are a clip-on that clip on to the top of your glasses.  These were very well received at Camp Perry.  Typically, pistol shooters, shooting irons, will want to add _0.75 to their distance prescription glasses.

Flip Lenses

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight

Hi Art. By chance, could you make a lens system like in my attached image, with a +0.75 lens on the right side, and a white blinder or 0.0 lens on the left? Reason I ask, I like being able to flip up both simultaneously instead of independently. OR.... do you know of a place that I can buy the clip on flip up readers as in my attached image in +0.75? The only ones I can find are +1.0. Thanks.
Attachments
Looking for a clip-on lenses Attachment
cliponflipup.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(22 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter 10/21/2019, 6:30 pm

Wobbley wrote:

There was a company that sold them with diopter suitable for pistol shooting called ClearSight.  I don’t think they’re still in business.
That is correct.  A little background:  Tillman Eddy and I discussed the finer points in doing a refraction many, many years ago because he found that many shooters had prescriptions that were, at best, poorly done.  I concurred.  Tillman developed ClearsighT around 1980 and sold over 10,000 units within the next 20 years. His loupe included interchangeable lenses of different powers.  When dot scopes became more popular than the use of iron sights, sales of ClearsighT disappeared along with his loupe supplier.  Being a past bullseye shooter, he had a very good understanding of our shooters' needs.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/21/2019, 6:48 pm

Somebody was selling a single lense system at Perry this year. I don’t recall the name
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 10/21/2019, 7:43 pm

That was me at Camp Perry with the clip on lenses.  They are ophthalmic quality lenses that I size and drill to fit on a little flip attachment.  I can do the loupe option as well, but I found that the lenses didn't tend to stay in place because either the clip wasn't tight, or the frames were too small, and you could not move it side to side easily, so I walked away from that design and came up with a flip system instead.

I've not done a double lens solution like you requested, but I can probably do that.  How 'bout I do it first, then we can talk.  I'll just aim for a mid-range PD, in the 60-70mm range

Email me in about a week to make sure I didn't forget.  I'll try first with the blinder side is cut from a milk jug.  If you want a 0.0 lens, I'd need to charge an extra $40, but if we go the milk jug route, it'll be like $1.69, or whatever a quart of milk costs :-) .... unless you can think of some other easy source for frosted plastic.... or maybe I have a scrap lens.  I guess power or surface scratches don't matter since you'll be covering it with Scotch tape anyways.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/21/2019, 8:45 pm

shootingsight wrote:That was me at Camp Perry with the clip on lenses.  They are ophthalmic quality lenses that I size and drill to fit on a little flip attachment.  I can do the loupe option as well, but I found that the lenses didn't tend to stay in place because either the clip wasn't tight, or the frames were too small, and you could not move it side to side easily, so I walked away from that design and came up with a flip system instead.

I've not done a double lens solution like you requested, but I can probably do that.  How 'bout I do it first, then we can talk.  I'll just aim for a mid-range PD, in the 60-70mm range

Email me in about a week to make sure I didn't forget.  I'll try first with the blinder side is cut from a milk jug.  If you want a 0.0 lens, I'd need to charge an extra $40, but if we go the milk jug route, it'll be like $1.69, or whatever a quart of milk costs :-) .... unless you can think of some other easy source for frosted plastic.... or maybe I have a scrap lens.  I guess power or surface scratches don't matter since you'll be covering it with Scotch tape anyways.

Maybe something like this. Translucent Polycarbonate?.

https://www.eplastics.com/lumen-xt-lw3-polycarbonate-sheet
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/21/2019, 8:58 pm

Wobbley wrote:

Maybe something like this.  Translucent Polycarbonate?.

https://www.eplastics.com/lumen-xt-lw3-polycarbonate-sheet
$186!! that's a lot of lenses to break even!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 10/21/2019, 11:47 pm

No, it's $186 BEFORE I put on my markup :-)

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 10/22/2019, 6:36 am

shootingsight wrote:That was me at Camp Perry with the clip on lenses.  They are ophthalmic quality lenses that I size and drill to fit on a little flip attachment.  I can do the loupe option as well, but I found that the lenses didn't tend to stay in place because either the clip wasn't tight, or the frames were too small, and you could not move it side to side easily, so I walked away from that design and came up with a flip system instead.

The milk jug thing should work, I guess? Or if you have a +0.75 lens that was scratched or some kind of imperfection that would make it basically useless, that would be best. If you could, make it with the larger diameter lenses. Not only do I need +0.75, I also have to add an EyePal.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/22/2019, 1:00 pm

shootingsight wrote:No, it's $186 BEFORE I put on my markup :-)

That’s for a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet....they will cut it down for you
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 10/22/2019, 4:13 pm

LOL.  Of course they will, but you still have to buy the whole sheet.  You can't just get a 6" x 6" piece.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/22/2019, 4:26 pm

How about this then.., a square foot for $7.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/plastic/0-0625-plastic-sheet-acetal-natural/pid/6759
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 10/22/2019, 6:18 pm

Here is what I came up with - you got lucky, I had a scrap lens that had been miscut, but ended up fitting, so it is +0.75 on both sides.

$60 with free delivery, if you want it.

Art
Looking for a clip-on lenses 2019-10-22%2018.10.46

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 10/22/2019, 6:18 pm

You can either put tape on the lens, or if you prefer, I can sandblast it.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 10/22/2019, 9:26 pm

Art, I sent a PM. Thanks.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down