Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NO Progressive Lenses

+4
beeser
dan allen
Jerry Keefer
dsandula
8 posters

Go down

NO Progressive Lenses Empty NO Progressive Lenses

Post by dsandula 4/5/2015, 3:49 pm

I'm also a grouse / woodcock hunter and hope to get a try gun fitting with Bryan Bilinski at Fieldsport in Traverse City, MI.  During our recent phone conversation he said vision was everything a couple of times and that he refused to fit anyone wearing progressive lenses.  I'm 55 and worn progressive lenses for over 20 years.  He also recommended amber lenses as a good neutral color for the upland hunter.  I just picked up Rayban Shooters with amber, polarized lenses in old fashioned lined bifocals.  (I should have gotten a trifocal because I can't see the dash in my car or the front sight on my 1911 clearly with them but need a red dot on this gun anyway . . .)

I'm a Sharpshooter and shot consistently in the high 250's for 2 years.  I JUST WENT OUT AND SHOT A 272 AND 274 WITH CHEAP PRACTICE AMMO WITH THE NEW GLASSES!  I haven't been this excited, motivated, etc. in years!

A whole new world has just opened up to me.  My advice to anyone out there shooting with progressives is to use them for anything but our game.  They're great for the office, but not bullseye in my experience.
Attachments
NO Progressive Lenses Attachment
P4050001.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(315 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Last edited by dsandula on 4/5/2015, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mis spelling)

dsandula

Back to top Go down

NO Progressive Lenses Empty Re: NO Progressive Lenses

Post by Jerry Keefer 4/5/2015, 4:50 pm

My doctor talked me into "trying" progressives several years ago.. I toughed it out and wore them for a month.. I was miserable and could not manage them.. I am not a bit vain.. Give me my two line tri focals !!!..SmileSmile
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by dan allen 4/5/2015, 7:00 pm

I have worn progressives for at least 10 years and am still shooting the same as when I wore single vision glasses. My only complaint about them would also apply to regular bifocals. I can't focus on anything above my head. I can't bend my head far enough back to get into the sweet spot.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 4/5/2015, 7:06 pm

Agreed, shooting with progressives is a chore.  I ordered a pair of single vision prescription glasses last week and look forward to not contorting my head or glasses for a clear view of the front sight.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 4/5/2015, 8:41 pm

Yup, same issue here. Just picked up a straight line bifocal in shooters yellow. The lower is set quite high in the lens and is set for optimum for the front sight.  The upper is set for the dot and focus at distance.  At first when my eye doctor told me this was the set up I needed I thought it might be a problem but it is not.  So far in 3 outings I really like it and I have seen improvement, especially at 50 yards.
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/5/2015, 8:52 pm

Decot's are setup for bullseye shooters. bifocal in the top  of the glass..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by abdullahzaid 4/9/2015, 1:16 am

[*]No one likes to advertise their age — especially 40-something adults who start having trouble reading fine print. Thankfully, today's progressive lenses make it ...

abdullahzaid

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/9/2015, 4:47 am

....impossible to shoot pistols accurately?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 4/9/2015, 9:40 am

Very difficult to use, or worse, with irons. Even with a dot, I prefer a single vision distance lens for the shooting eye. With irons I lean toward a distance + script to improve the focus on the front sight.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down