Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why put shades on a Micro dot?

+5
CrankyThunder
james r chapman
Dcforman
dronning
LenV
9 posters

Go down

Why put shades on a Micro dot? Empty Why put shades on a Micro dot?

Post by LenV 11/1/2019, 6:44 pm

I have been on here a long time. I probably have not been shy about posting my opinions. But, for some reason I have not worked up the energy/attitude to ask why anyone would go to all the work of adding shades to a scope not designed to add shades to. The only reason I can think of is the base your mounting it on will only hold a micro scope. There are a lot of good full size scopes that come with shades and I see shooters adding shades to scopes that have lots of room for them. I suspect (without testing) that adding shades to a single mount scope like a Holosun, Sig Romeo 5 etc would make them easier to loose zero. The pistols I plan on using in adverse weather or light I put a full size dot on. The pistols I don't plan on taking into adverse conditions I have no problem putting a micro on. Should I find myself needing to put a micro on a pistol either because of weight or mount then that pistol just doesn't get used in bad weather. Just curious..

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Why put shades on a Micro dot? Empty Re: Why put shades on a Micro dot?

Post by dronning 11/1/2019, 7:27 pm

First thought is limited budget, only 1 gun for competition in all weather conditions.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 11/1/2019, 7:43 pm

Two more I can think of....

Lighter weight.

Most micro's have direct mount options which can put them closer to the bore axis (see Keefer's and Kodiak Machine rail).

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/1/2019, 8:00 pm

Why put shades on a Micro dot? 8b773d10
Because I want to use my 3D printer
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/2/2019, 12:09 am

Those are all good reasons. Except for James. Very Happy 

Jim did you change Avatar just to show off all that hair?  Very Happy Very Happy
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 11/2/2019, 6:20 am

Good Morning Len, It is a pleasure to finally converse with you.  

While I have a impressive collection of bullseye firearms, it probably pales in comparison to your vast holdings,,,,,,

Anyways, for years, I have shot a pardini with a aimpoint 9000 as my primary bullseye gun. Perfectly satisfied, wasnt to concerned with other scope options, and had convinced myself that the additional weight did not amount to anything.  

Then one of my teammates, Judy, shows up with a aimpoint micro on her pardini.  well, since Judy i a high master, anything Judy does is worth a close look so when I borrowed her pistol to see what she was experimenting with, I was impressed with the balance of the pistol, not necessarily the lighter weight but the handling qualities, it just felt a lot more right then my pistol with the 9000 on it.  

So I got the aimpoint Micro for my pistol.  Cool!   got it Zeroed, slapped some KC shades on it, going to town.  

Only one problem Len, I got a hunting camp deep in the north woods with a very nice bullseye range set up off the back porch.  It faces directly west and I constructed it there because it was a small open field in a forest.  Well, I was practicing in spring before the leaves came on the trees during sundown and the sun was right above the targets and the KC shades were just not cutting the mustard.  Consequently, I got some economical carbon fiber tubing and put some real shades on my aimpoint.  

Matter of fact, I extended the shades on a number of my other handguns because it was so simple, cheap, and easy and the end result has a professional appearance.  Looks a lot better then the toilet paper roll I used to duct tape onto the 9000!  

Granted, Len, not everybody will shoot at a range that looks directly into the sun but for those of us that do, extended shades are a must.  

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 11/2/2019, 7:31 am

My Aimpoint Micro's are mounted far to the rear on my 1911's. My reasons for shades are; rain, sun angle glare and, without a shade, the front glass gets real dirty, real fast from sitting above the ejection port.

Last edited by mspingeld on 11/3/2019, 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 11/2/2019, 5:52 pm

CrankyThunder wrote:Good Morning Len, It is a pleasure to finally converse with you.  

While I have a impressive collection of bullseye firearms, it probably pales in comparison to your vast holdings,,,,,,

Anyways, for years, I have shot a pardini with a aimpoint 9000 as my primary bullseye gun. Perfectly satisfied, wasnt to concerned with other scope options, and had convinced myself that the additional weight did not amount to anything.  

Then one of my teammates, Judy, shows up with a aimpoint micro on her pardini.  well, since Judy i a high master, anything Judy does is worth a close look so when I borrowed her pistol to see what she was experimenting with, I was impressed with the balance of the pistol, not necessarily the lighter weight but the handling qualities, it just felt a lot more right then my pistol with the 9000 on it.  

So I got the aimpoint Micro for my pistol.  Cool!   got it Zeroed, slapped some KC shades on it, going to town.  

Only one problem Len, I got a hunting camp deep in the north woods with a very nice bullseye range set up off the back porch.  It faces directly west and I constructed it there because it was a small open field in a forest.  Well, I was practicing in spring before the leaves came on the trees during sundown and the sun was right above the targets and the KC shades were just not cutting the mustard.  Consequently, I got some economical carbon fiber tubing and put some real shades on my aimpoint.  

Matter of fact, I extended the shades on a number of my other handguns because it was so simple, cheap, and easy and the end result has a professional appearance.  Looks a lot better then the toilet paper roll I used to duct tape onto the 9000!  

Granted, Len, not everybody will shoot at a range that looks directly into the sun but for those of us that do, extended shades are a must.  

Regards, 
Crankster

If the NRA has their way at Camp Attaboy (and that's a BIG "if"), people will be shooting into the sun on a south-facing range.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 11/2/2019, 6:07 pm

1.  Cleanliness

2.  My indoor range has an annoying light set up that makes a reflection.

3.  I have a 3d printer.

4.  Scope extensions on bulky knobbly scopes impress the long range rifle guys.  Actually, freaky scoped and euro-gripped pistols impress everyone and give you instant street-cred at the range.  The more accessories, the more awesomer you are.

“Long range” rifle guy wrote:Damn bro, you see that dude on Lane 2 shootin’ 50-yards with one hand while we shoot 25-feet with rifles?  He is the coolest person here today.

6.  All the cool kids have them, see above.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 11/2/2019, 7:25 pm

Is it just me but on a micro I find my 3d printer shades help me find the dot faster.  Mimics a tube sight sort of.

That being said, I have yet to find a micro I like
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/2/2019, 8:05 pm

Being bored (game starts at 5 PT) and a bit of a SA. I think this is a perfect solution to Cranksters shooting into the sun problem and others concern about dirt on the lens. It also looks cool (kinda). It does nothing for the weight problem. Very Happy

Why put shades on a Micro dot? 20191111
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 11/2/2019, 10:46 pm

Len, if you fed the end of one one scope into the back of the other, you could probably shoot 11-X @ the 50.

Laughing
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down