Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does your club do with duds?

+4
Jack H
Asa Yam
Vociferous
bruce martindale
8 posters

Go down

What does your club do with duds? Empty What does your club do with duds?

Post by bruce martindale Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:54 pm

I have seen deposit cans but who knows what happens next?

They can be useful for flinch detection...mix one into your mag and either it fires or not and maybe you catch yourself flinching. Maybe you want your own duds In case they have grit on them?

I have also seen water jugs that make a mess.

One club had a full jug and left it in the furnace room where it dried out. Now there was a mess of powder coated shells. Out of curiosity I took a bunch, wiped them off and tested them in a revolver. 23 of 32 fired normally, even after having been soaked and dried out. None of the Remington duds fired.

So I would suggest not to drop them in water jugs or oil for that matter. As tonwhat becomes of them next l considered sending them to Remington. Maybe there is a club member who pulls the heads?

Thoughts?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

What does your club do with duds? Empty Re: What does your club do with duds?

Post by Vociferous Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:55 pm

At the home range, they go in the burn barrel. Then they cook off. Fun!
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Not sure what the local club here does.  Back in San Diego, the club I used to belonged to (and at least one gun store) collected duds, and periodically turned them in to the County Sherriff's Department.  From there, the Bomb Squad used them to train for explosives disposal.

Best advice - ask your club if you can explore the possibility of doing the same with your local authorities.

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:04 am

How do you collect member's duds at your club?   Do you have a written policy?  Are instructions posted?  After collecting, what next??
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:43 am

Most club members wear ‘em, then wash ‘em.

The young ladies who don’t wear very many of ‘em tend to be right popular.  The members who don’t wash ‘em very often tend not.  

Ohh, you mean THOSE kind of duds!

Happy new year!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:26 am

I thought you meant dull, boring people. We still let them shoot.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 am

Probably the best answer is to have someone pull the bullets, fertilize the grass with the powder, and either use or recycle the brass and projectiles. It's easy and fast enough to do on a progressive with a collet puller die.

For 22LR break down with a pair of pliers and discard in the trash.

You can't count on a bucket of water or oil making duds inert enough to just throw in the trash.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:02 pm

pgg wrote:You can't count on a bucket of water or oil making duds inert enough to just throw in the trash.
True.  From the book "Ammunition Making", the one sure way of disposing live primer material was by using a hot (50-60* C), strong solution of sodium hydroxide and acetic acid.  (Drain cleaner and vinegar, respectively.)  A safe process, if chemical controls are in place, but not to be done on a whim.

BTW, the book is available for online reading, or for download at https://archive.org/details/AmmunitionMakingNRAByG.Frost1990/page/n3.  Used copies of the book (it is out of print) are available for purchase - about $80 a copy.  (See https://www.amazon.com/Ammunition-making-insiders-George-Frost/dp/0935998578)

Hope this helps.

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:17 pm

pgg wrote:Probably the best answer is to have someone pull the bullets, fertilize the grass with the powder, and either use or recycle the brass and projectiles. It's easy and fast enough to do on a progressive with a collet puller die.

For 22LR break down with a pair of pliers and discard in the trash.

You can't count on a bucket of water or oil making duds inert enough to just throw in the trash.
 Good idea. I like to use a empty steel 223 case ( they're laying all over at our multi-use range) to pull 22 bullets easily. The center fires I might use the brass if it's a caliber I use, otherwise in the brass bucket and all the lead gets used in the range scrap buckets.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down